1/43rd Dennis F8 Pump Tender

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

4802122320_9b77978f1b_b.jpgDennis F8 KHS842-The Works by Jim Bavin (Thanks for 6 MILLION Views), on Flickr

I think this answers quite a few of my questions!

You have made that just like the real thing! Amazing...

Seriously though, what a great job you are doing on this. That metalcote you put on looks fabulous, and much better brushed than I ever managed. It is great seeing one of these built.

All the best,

Ray

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

You have made that just like the real thing! Amazing...

:laugh:

51086189016_f9c0c8b7d2_b.jpg

This is mine. Still some detail work to go.

51086188976_f404c5081d_b.jpg

Glazing and brightwork round the front, for starters. I think it’s time to make a check list.

• Like 8

51054752858_19227a55a4_b.jpg

I have left my brain cell mulling how on earth I can create a convincing scale version of this - twice.

It will keep me occupied while Best Beloved and I finally get hitched. 👰+🤵  We’ve been an item now for over thirty years, so we thought it was probably time we made it official. We are just having a small ceremony at our local register office, us, two witnesses and the officials. The pandemic has seen off anything larger for now, but we hope it might be possible to have a family celebration later in the summer. We shall see.

• Like 9

Congratulations to you both. I trust you will have a wonderful day. 

As a 'Fire station' kid being brought up in a Glasgow Fire Station in the '60s I have fond memories of all fire engines but the Dennis's were always the most beautiful with their glorious curves at the rear. Glasgow's Dennis's were Pump escapes so had the classic large wheeled ladders attached to the rear and the giant wooden wheels complimented the shape of the machine. Great work on it. Brings back memories. 

• Like 1

51089714392_e90e1c9ba2_b.jpg

Still attempting to figure out the door mirrors, I’ve installed glazing. No, really, it is there. I will clean finger prints and smudges off when the glue has dried. I added the front window quarter-lights from thin Evergeen strip painted aluminium. I was going to have the driver's door window dropped a bit, but decided to go all closed up instead. You can also see I’ve been around the bodywork with the aluminium paint, picking out the hinges on locker doors.

51089700264_87b6fef0e9_b.jpg

Round the front, the radiator and brightwork is going on. I was wondering how to glaze the headlamps. The instructions recommend Araldite dropped in and left to cure while the body is supported nose down. I wasn’t keen on that idea, as I tend to have a love-hate relationship with that particular adhesive. I’ve painted the backs of the lights with the chrome pen, and realised there are "chrome" PE rings to fit yet. I could glue clear material to those before they’re stuck on the lamp bodies. 

The check list is shrinking. 

• Like 9

51090079549_5cf2f0ef69_b.jpg

Things left to sort out:

• Windscreen wipers
  • Rearview mirrors
  • Orange flashers over windscreen
  • Fix the big hoses on the back
  • Rig the ladder
  • Create number plates and service branding

• Like 7

51090316786_d3b64746c3_b.jpg

I created number plates and brigade branding on the pooter. The original idea was to print on transfer paper - then I thought it might be better on glossy photo paper.

I have just ordered some glossy photo paper. I don’t use the stuff often, and must have used the last sheet without ordering new stock. Muppet.

• Like 7

Another muppet moment. As I drifted of into the Land of Nod last night I realised I had glued the interior and chassis in place - but not sorted out the orange flashers at the top of the cab. :doh:

Of course, for once, the glue I used has worked well enough I daren't risk damage to anything fragile trying to backtrack. Sleeping dogs come to mind.

• Like 2

51092378693_e8045fd1ca_b.jpg

:penguin:

Attempting to simulate this:

51055559737_c29b1225dd_b.jpg

I think it’s close enough to pass muster. No doubt some wiseacre with the skills could knock up an accurate representation out of brass stock. I’m happy with something that looks roughly right at normal viewing distances.

I will let the cement harden properly before attempting to apply any paint!

• Like 6

I have been watching this from day one, and really enjoyed watching this come together. A masterclass in model vehicle building, with levels of skill way beyond me. The way those wiper blades and wing mirrors that came virtually out of no-where at the end, are the small details that put the icing on the cake. At 1/43rd, that is simply outstanding.

• Like 3