Another Kiwi Catalina,....... the White One! ***FINISHED****

Hiya Folks,

After building the 5 Sqn Catalina earlier in this GB,..... and being torn between the US Navy Blue Grey scheme or the later white scheme,...... I decided to try and grab another Cat and do the white scheme too,..... and here it is!

DSCF0063.jpg

And the box contents;

DSCF0064.jpg

I`ll be using the same Aeromaster decal sheet as used on the other model;

DSCF9603.jpg

And some reference pics;

unnamed.jpgCatalina_6_Sqn_RNZAF_at_Bougainville_194

pa-p_a10.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Another update,..... Interior painted using Humbrol Grass Green,.... standing in for US Interior Green,........ and the parts in place; 

DSCF0065.jpg

The wings, floats and tailplane were also assembled;

DSCF0066.jpg

And then the fuselage halves were joined,..... to be left aside for a few day ready for another sanding session,.... if my back is up to it so soon after the Dakota!

DSCF0067.jpg

Now Fudge the dog seemed quite interested in this one for a change!

DSCF0057.jpg

BUT,.....

DSCF0059.jpg

It wasn`t edible so she reverted to type!

DSCF0060.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A good decision there Mr O'Toole, I really like this as a scheme on these. It'll be great to see it given form. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,...... yeah it is a lovely scheme. The one that I am doing certainly looks like it had US Sea Blue upper surfaces,...... but other wartime white aircraft appear to have lighter upper surfaces,.... almost like Medium Sea Grey which is what I presume was used on the post war aircraft? I do like these too,.... with the C Type roundels and later the A Type roundels,..... both with under wing serials,..... but I don`t have another kit! 

• Like 1

A bit of an update,.....

I`ve got the sanding all but done now and also dug out the Quickboost resin centimetric radar pod for fitting behind the cockpit  that I had snaffled away,..... although it does look a bit small to me,... we`ll see eh;

DSCF0185.jpg

Now I did buy a new PBY-5A kit in order to use the radar pod which is seen on the box art (and then built the kit as another variant later) but imagine my surprise when the kit doesn`t actually contain a radar pod! Ah well,..... the amphibian kit will come in handy,..... I might even do what the Aussies did and fill in the wheel wells and convert it to a straight flying boat?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tony

How is your Cat coming along ?

Best wishes to Fudge by the way, did he get any treats for Easter ?

Cheers Pat 

It is slowly coming along Pat,.... no worries mate and Happy Easter! Oh yes,.... she got LOADS of treats!!

Hiya Folks,.... while building a batch of Beaufort`s I have also been plodding along with this one too and  gave it a few coats of white from Rattle Can`s last night,.... I used Humbrol matt as an undercoat and then put on a coat of Tamiya gloss;

DSCF0485-NEW.jpg

So the US Sea Blue next,..... most of these aircraft appear to have a much lighter colour on the upper surfaces,..... maybe a grey or grey/blue,..... but having seen a photo of this particular aircraft the upper surfaces are quite dark,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Another update,.... got the US Sea Blue uppers on today,..... I tried not to make it look too crisp as the real thing did not have ultra straight lines judging from photos;

Masked and being painted;

DSCF0510-NEW.jpg

Finished,... after a little tidying up;

DSCF0512.jpg

Forward view with turret;

DSCF0514.jpg

So next a coat of varnish ready for the decals,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

Well I`ve got the decals on,..... but the Errormaster decals had a few mistakes!!!

DSCF0586-NEW.jpg

As you can see, the Errormaster fuselage decals are far too small,..... so I used a set of Avenger wing roundels,.... then added a yellow outline from the spares box.

DSCF0588-NEW.jpg

The yellow outline is rather see through,.... so I`ll need to run over it with a coat of paint!

DSCF0589-NEW.jpg

But we are almost there now,.....

DSCF0591-NEW.jpg

DSCF0593-NEW.jpg

....since taking these I have also added some black decal to the rear fuselage to simulate the small windows seen on the real thing, just behind the roundel.

I had also mistakenly thought that this one had centimetric radar,..... and bought a resin one,..... but it still had TV antennae style ASV,...... which I used on one of the Ventura`s,..... I`ll sort it though!!

Cheers

Tony  

Edit,.... I`ve trimmed the yellow outline away where the bars are,.... and you can see the black decal windows too;

DSCF0594.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Another update!

The model was given a watercolour wash

DSCF0596.jpg

DSCF0599.jpg

And when that was rubbed way,.... I set about adding a coat of paint to that see through yellow ring on the fuselage roundel,..... seen here part done;

DSCF0610.jpg

And the roundel finished;

DSCF0615.jpg

Almost there now;

DSCF0613.jpg

The wing dry fitted;

DSCF0611.jpg

Now to sort out that ASV antenna problem!! Just shows,.... do your research PROPERLY!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

49 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The antenna style is Yagi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi–Uda_antenna

The Cat looks great!

Chris

Thats it mate ta,..... just couldn`t think of it last night,...... the painkillers were kicking in and clouding my knumb skull somewhat!!!! 

Glad you like it so far,.... cheers. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thats it mate ta,..... just couldn`t think of it last night,...... the painkillers were kicking in and clouding my knumb skull somewhat!!!! 

Glad you like it so far,.... cheers. 

Wait 'til you reach my age. It's a daily occurance for me. Building models helps keep the mind sharp, so I'm told.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking nice, I must try doing a wash sometime, over Gloss coat I take it?

Got one of these from Wildcats Models back end of March, the last one they had at the time. Did you get one?

Davey.

DSC_0001

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking well smart Tony, oity about the TV Yagi aerials, I rather like the though of one of these with the centimetric type, very seldom seen. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve,,..... yeah I jumped the gun a bit and was looking at the post war RNZAF Cat`s while researching this one,...... might just end up doing one of those too,.... using my now `spare' centimetric radar pod LOL!  They look great with the C Type roundels and large serials under the wings. 

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Looking nice, I must try doing a wash sometime, over Gloss coat I take it?

Got one of these from Wildcats Models back end of March, the last one they had at the time. Did you get one?

Davey.

DSC_0001

Thanks Davey,.... I actually get a better result on a matt surface,..... but best to experiment and find out what you are happy with. 

Yeah I got one of these,.... thanks  for the heads up mate!

• Like 2

Well,.... got the fuselage bubbles, beaching gear and the wing on tonight,..... almost there!

DSCF0725-NEW.jpg

DSCF0727-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

Well that`s it,..... the second Kiwi Cat is finished,..... here are both together;

DSCF0739-NEW.jpg

And here is the newest one,....

DSCF0743-NEW.jpg

DSCF0733-NEW.jpg

DSCF0732-NEW.jpg

DSCF0734-NEW.jpg

DSCF0753-NEW.jpg

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and support fella`s

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14

• tonyot changed the title to Another Kiwi Catalina,....... the White One! ***FINISHED****
18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very well done Tony, another excellent result.

Your two Kiwi Cats look really good together.

Cheers MM,.... I`m hoping to find space somewhere to display them together! 

17 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Tony …. Another great looking Cat, I saw your comment in the RFI. Im happy to know that you think Silverfox would've been happy. Im glad we could do this and honor him as well as all of the people from the island continent and New Zealand.

Thanks CC,..... Yeah Andy was a lovely bloke and so enthusiastic about life,......... so sad that he has gone. Great timing to cover ANZAC Day too,.... respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1