Tamiya Honda VFR750R

Hi and welcome to my next project this is my second model kit build and first bike. I am a big Honda fan but i don't know much about there bikes but i liked the look of this one and thought i would try it. I have nearly finished the corvette i have been working on. Just got the rear glass to tint and a cut polish and wax of the clearcoat and final assembly on that to do so while i wait for the paint for the glass and the clear coat to cure i thought i would make a start.

so far i have built most of the engine removed any seam lines and mold lines. It was quite a simple fun experience and painted it with UMP gray primer.  The engine and cylinder heads went together really well and easily i have decided to paint it in three main sections to try and make it easier to  get all the small spaces and awkward sections. The detail on these parts is amazing there's so many nice small parts that really make the engine pop. it seems a shame to hide all that detailing. I have ordered some small magnets which I will try and use to fit the fairings to the frame on my second build it might be biting of more than i can chew but I really don't want to hide all the hard work I'm going to put in on the build. While i was spraying the primer i decided to spray up a bunch of spoons so i can test paints before i pick colors to make sure I'm happy with any custom paints.

p?i=7a62f83b1c4a3cf5372518e0b53edd9e

p?i=88ccf9a1cbe600b23a0f1e28bc02d308

p?i=f8bfd6a7bc90e6ebbf89689345c86576

p?i=2776e0c59c852d12667738e87f986644

Edited by Scottey_b
adding pics
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I have three bike kits on the go at the moment and two of them have fairings on them.

In both cases, these have stalled because of the fairings!

The Team Gallina RGB500 because of the decalling, the RC30 because of the transparent fairing. I'm panning to paint the fairing, but I always get problems painting clear plastic with zero-paints. Might try doing it with Tamiya acrylic  white over white stynylres. Not that I have any white stynylres yet...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

John please don't judge this kit too harshly on my results as I probably wont do it justice. I can say that so far it is going together pretty well. The engine parts have fitted together really well and the clean up was pretty straight forward along with the paddock stand. I know the scale is a lot higher but the detail is so much higher than the Revell  Corvette C7R.

Mumbly it is the one with the clear fairings but i want to paint them and get it like the box art.  I want to use some really small magnets to hold the fairings on but keep them removable so i get the best of both worlds. 

Alan I'm thinking i might try scuffing up the fairings and spraying them with ump primer i will be using Tamiya acrilics on it. I have ordered a new bottle as the white i sprayed on the wheels has had some sort of reaction so i need to strip them and start again. I'm not sure what went wrong exactly but i know the paint i used was at least four years old so I'm going to start with a fresh bottle just incase that was the problem. I'm still going through the bits my brother left me and i think one of his old bottles got muddled in with mine.

what is the best thing to use to strip multiple layers of paint i take it isopropyl alcohol will do the job ? is there anything else i can use thats not to brutal  and wont damage the actual parts?

Edited by Scottey_b
details
  • Like 2

Some have suggested a bath of Dettol is a good paint stripper. I can't say if it works or not but other seem keen.

Mr Hobby paint remover worked very well for me, on Zero, Tamiya and Vallejo. Small bottle though.

Hi stef thanks for the suggestion and sorry its taken a while to get back to you.

in the end i used some ipa, a toothbrush some cocktail sticks and micro brushes. It took a couple of hours to get it all of  and then re prepped and primed it with the Ump grey primer and it reacted again.  At that point i could have cried so i spent another two hours striping it cleaning it to perfection before whipping it over with a u-pol tack rag and respraying it this time with mr surfacer 1000 thinned with mr hobby's leveling thinner at a 50:50 ratio. Finally I managed to get the right results and i'm over the moon.

i have also manage to paint some of the engine components before i ran out of tamiya x-18 wich i have been using for my undercoats over the top of the grey primer before i sprayed the metal coulours over the top. I am happy with the results apart from breaking one of the coolant pipes when i tried to remove the masking tape. It should be a easy repair but again its a bit frustrating. Other than the repair i will do later in the week i am really happy with the progress i have made on the bike  and i think the finish on the parts so far is ten times better than on the c7r i just finished.

i have started trying to taylor the presures i am spraying at with the airbrush and it seems to be working well.  im spraying at 20 psi when im using the tamiya acrylics thinned with x20a. When i spray the primer i am now spraying at 30 psi and using the ump pre thinned primers or the mr hobby primer thinned with their self leveling thinner. So far i think the paint is flowing a lot better from the airbrush.

i will post some progress pictures later but i have one question....

what do you guys think of the mr hobby paints?

• Like 1

Use the Mr Hobby Levelling Thinner with the Tamiya acrylics as well.  I ditched the x20 for this quite recently and have not looked back - unicorn tears is what its made from I believe.

• Like 1

I'm with these guys as well. Use Tamiya Lacquers mostly nowadays and have just started on Mr Hobby's stuff. (I just used Mr Hobby's Super Chrome for the first time and it is brilliant.) Using their respective thinners and they are far superior than what I was using. As Mumbly says, using MrLT  really improves the quality of Tamiya acrylics as well.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I think I will be moving over to mr hobby paints as I seem to be struggling to get some of the paints. I will post some progress pictures at the weekend if I get all the engine built up. I have had a bit of a mare today as my 0,4 needle airbrush has packed up. It stopped spraying so I went to strip it down luckily I had finished priming up. I took the parts in to dry in the house like normal. Then stripped the airbrush down and cleaned it thinking that would sort it. 20mins later still not spraying airbrush cleaner properly so I took the noble cap of and went to run a pin through it so i left it on the side and went back into get a pin to run through and remove any paint from it .i come back outside to find my mum bringing the dog through the garage, he  nocks the table over making a huge mess and now the nozzle is no were to be seen so having spent two hours looking for it I have decided to get a replacement but with the price of the nozzle being nearly half the price of a new airbrush I have taken the plunge and ungraded to a new brush.

On the plus side the wheels have come out brilliantly after the third attempt and you guys are definitely right about the mr hobby thinner 

• Like 1

my new airbrush arrived today so i have been putting it through its paces most of the day. I have achieved quite a bit all things considered by my pace anyway. I have painted the chain and sprockets in tamiya flat aluminum and detailed it with the Tamiya gold leaf it looks a lot better in person than the pictures although i may give it a final coat tomorrow to get the color i am after but  i'm not sure yet i will decide tomorrow when its dried properly.

I have also painted the engine ancillary's and they are now all ready for assembly when i get the detailing done on the engine itself however i have made a bit of a error in the mixing of the paint and its quite a way off. it looked a lot closer to what i was after when i had it in my mixing bottle but i like the color and am in two minds as to whether to re do it or detail it up and see where we are at.

It does remind me of the color of the casings on the cbr engine we turbocharged for my old race car before i had to hang up my helmet. i think if i give it a good panel wash and detail the bolt heads etc. it will look different with all the ancillary's fitted hopefully toning it down a bit. i really love the color but im not sure if its right for the bike.

I'm not going for full realism as i want it to look like a show bike so it may have been blinged up a bit. If you guys could have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think i would appreciate it. if i was to put a wash on it would i need to seal it with a clear coat before applying the panel liner? I will be using a black mig panel liner if that helps.  i have started to work on the rear suspension today as well having had the rear shock primed and getting the rear swing arm painted as well as the shock cap i am going to have a look at it tomorrow and i may try and do the rear shock in the ohlins colors. A decision i have made while typing this update.

My main focus on this build has been and will continue to be my paint and masking finishes as there were a few finishes that were notably weaker than others on the last project. Anyway enough waffling from me here's some progress pictures sorry there not the best quality. I Will try and link in the refrence photo i was using for the engine.

p?i=a2223137c848add5c0ddd112d32b2f80

p?i=050875239efb16ade8353d4f6b68df39p?i=5b4c3e4510fff2309566cc35979e1590p?i=aca44d5d1bd12abb162eddfba5d40380

Edited by Scottey_b
details
  • Like 3

Put the engine together today it was a bit fiddly at times. My first job was to decal the oil filter. I thought they were going to be really difficult as one is quite small and the other has to wrap round the filter but they went on a dream if the rest go on this easily I will be happy. after that i started fitting the engine parts starting with the filter housing and starter. The filter housing doesn't seat itself very well with the hoses fitted.

While that dried I went to the garage and sprayed the center of the brake disc silver. The masking tape didn't bleed through this time thanks to the advice i got from you guys on my last build. After that i went over the chain again with the gold leaf. I think the colors about right now so the chain is now halfway done. after that i detailed all the bolts on the engine in x-18 and fitted the ignition wires and fittings and then painted the head bolts in chrome silver. At least that's what I think the color was before leaving the engine parts to dry for a bit. The ignition fittings are a very tight fit mine are sitting slightly proud and now stuck so i will leave them as they are and touch up the chipped paint unless they cause an issue later in the build.

After leaving the paint to dry for a bit i then fitted what i think is the water pump housing and coolant pipework to the engine this area is really fidly and i lost count of the amount of times i have had to adjust it. it doesn't help that my coolant pipe is broke. I have the parts in place and hopefully secured. John if you build this kit i would make sure that you fit the cylinder heads to the block before cutting the black fitting that sits between the heads from the sprue as if  i could of lengthened the part  by filing the runner down a bit so it fits tighter between the heads. Its defiantly something i will take into account on any future builds as it may have saved a lot of agro.

overall i have had a bit of agro with fitting a couple of the pipes which i put down to inexperience and a couple of part fitment issues which are probably down to me putting to much paint on and again my inexperience with fiddly parts. All that aside i have really enjoyed the build so far and the color is of the engine is really growing on me with the detail painting done and the other parts fitted to the engine it looks a lot better than i thought. I am glad I mixed a lot more of it than I needed as I really like the color. I will touch up the ignition boots tomorrow hopefully then I will be finishing of the swing arm section before starting the frame. I know I am doing some sections out of sequence but i really enjoyed building the engine on the c7r and couldn't wait to do the engine on this and the rear swing arm. anyway enough of me waffling on here's some pictures. Unfortunately the engine color looks a lot brighter in the pics than it is.

• p?i=9025e9e66b7a8c67f903ef1520c9e94b

p?i=d9624ff10d8300ecaace115bfa7ec495

p?i=518dcd2013ae5798c895bb083ce94ce2

p?i=609dfd04f41bc6549ff01ae1570882e1

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

i have made quite a bit of progress on the bike even if it has been a bit slow going.  I have had quite a few issues when I have been using alcalad paints. The problem i have has been that the paint cracks, wrinkles and flakes. i have come to the conclusion that the acalad black base is what has been the problems. I don't think it is drying fully as when i have swapped the black base for a layer of tamiya x18 the problem is 99% eliminated without spraying it any differently. I really like the finish of the alcalad paints when it works but i will be using x18 instead of the black base going forward and see if the problem returns or if it is an issue with the black base. When i get paid I will order more so far i have used highly polished aluminum, exhaust manifold, aluminum ,gold titanium and duraluminium.

If anyone has used alcalad have you had similar problems?

one other problem i have had is  trying to add white detailing to the reservoirs its stripped the under layers of paint so I have had to go over them in red hopefully it will look like  the reservoirs have had socks put over them like i used to do with my race cars. It didn't make any performance benefits but they were very sentimental as they were a present from my brother. Anyway  I don't think it will look too bad but its  not ideal. I detail painted quite a few different bits and this is the only one that has reacted.

i have to come up with a new paint plan for the bike as i have wrecked the decals so I will be building this as a track bike rather than the show bike I had originally planned. i will be watching some more youtube videos to work out where i have been going wrong but I think its because i haven't kept the decals wet enough when adjusting them and i may probably should have been using microsol rather than relying on the set to do everything but hey its a learning curve i will get there at some point I still have a few decals i can use and practice on for the fuel tank to practice getting them to conform. My side project has taken over a bit as i got frustrated with the decals but this will be taking center stage for the next few weeks. 

p?i=b687efcc6e970c7355066a87dcf3e48d

p?i=a5ea8f69af421d2ff64b6735616ef23c

p?i=dddc28e62f8ffc9d82df75adbacca3fd

• Like 5

On 24/05/2021 at 21:39, kpnuts said:

Thats looking rather nice. 

Thanks this kit has given me quite a few headaches but it's finally starting to come together nicely I have learnt a lot from this kit after trying so many different things especially with the allcolad and metal effect paints.most of my headaches and problems were probably self inflicted I would highly recommend this kit.

i have got the body done in a nice blue after trashing the decals on the first attempt  in a nod to one of my brothers road bikes. I have attempted my first ever panel wash on the fuel cap. I am waiting on the decals to cure on the fuel tank and number plate for a couple of days then I can spray my final clear coats. other than that all i have to do is fit the indicators and cut the breather hose for the fuel tank hopefully my first bike will be finished by the end of next week. it certainly won't be my last and at some point i will have another go at doing the rc30 in the factory colors. i have a spare engine and exhaust so I will be building that up and I may attempt to scratch build a trolley to put it on along with the spare wheels. with the exhaust I will be trying to do some heat staining but I haven't worked out how I will attempt it just yet.

Anyway here's the latest  progress picture sorry about the poor quality photo i promise the next ones will be betterp?i=5ce288243e5630bf9e7004c3c63838dc

• Like 4