Which airbrush and which paint

Timmy216

Hi all, first time on here and a returning aircraft modeller after we something years away! I have never airbrushed until last week using a discarded £20 cheap brush. The results have been remarkably good considering the brush lacks any real control and that my Humbrol and Revell paints are 20+ years old! I am now considering buying an H&S Infinity CP+ with a mix of 2 needles (.015/.04). 
1. With my limited experience is that a wise decision and what may be the pitfalls?
2. The other issue is I’ve never used acrylics and having read many posts am slightly hesitant to risk ruining a new brush through inexperience. I can (I think) see the advantages of acrylics but given my choice of brush and a need to start again with a paint collection (expensive) can you steer me to the best/easiest/most effective paints/thinners etc to use that will stand the test of time fully understanding that there will be an element of personal choice.

I won’t be offended any help gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!:clap2:

Do you mean 0.15mm and 0.4mm? That 0.15 is very small and needs a highly thinned paint. I use 0.3mm (Iwata HP-CH) and 0.5mm (Iwata HP-TH). I use the 0.5mm for primers, base colors, clear coats, and metallics. I use the 0.3mm other colors and small parts. H&S are a good brand. You are best served by holding the airbrush in your hand. It needs to feel good!

Regarding paint: what brand is available locally? This is very valuable when you run out of a color and can make a quick trip to the LHS (local hobby shop). I do get less popular colors online, but the LHS is really very important.

I can't help you with choosing or airbrushing water-based acrylics, but I know somebody will provide good info and help you choose among brands.

FWIW, I use Mr Color, which are solvent-based acrylic lacquers. They produce an amazing finish, but demand good application practice. Here is how I use them.

Thanks -dnl42, yes thanks for correcting my needle sizes and many thanks for the information, that solved another of my issues! A local hobby store would be nice but no to be! Thanks again appreciated.

I'd highly recommend starting with Tamiya's brand of acrylics. Really easy to use and mix. Less likely to clog like some other acrylics, good range of colours and easy to get hold of. Hope that helps.

Nice brush choice, if you go the H&S route I'd go for a 0.2 and 0.4 mix. 

I would suggest you consider This  and this  these are absolutely cracking airbrushes, I was using two(infinity & evolution) H&S airbrushes until recently.  I bought the 270 after a mate recommended I try his, well wow and I mean wow, it's easily as good as H&S and so easy to use all with a built in mack valve somthing H&S sting you almost £29 for.  To back flush no pinching the nozzle, all you do is unscrew the cap it's just so easy.  Check this  out he also does many other tests and reviews which are very helpful or here and here

You could get both the above for under £20 more than one Infinity and save all the fuff of changing needles and nozzles.      

51 minutes ago, Timmy216 said:

Thank you Stef and Kev, great tips and more to consider. Kev is the Infinity a lot more complex than the one you recommend?

Not really, all the H&S has is trigger pressure/resistance adjustment and max needle opening setting, something they call quick fix.  On the Infinity this can be dialled in using plunger and the No's on the body, but to be honest I hardly ever used it, or the trigger pressure adjustment.  As mentioned what the Infinity doesn't have as standard that the Procon does is a mac valve and this I use all the time, H&S will sell you there's for almost £30. 

The H&S are lovely tools but not cheap.   The Procon has everything you'll need, it's as well made, very easy to use, clean, produces superb results in my opinion and a good bit cheaper.  As mentioned you can get both (0.2 - 0.3) for under £20 more than the price of an Infinity 0.2 - 0.4 combination.        

Edited by Kev The Modeller