English Electric Lightning F.3 Sword 1/72

What's not to like about a nice shiny NMF Lightning, very nicely done.

Good choice to use the Quickboost nose ring too as I have read that it is slightly longer than the kit parts and brings the model up to the correct scale length.

Duncan B

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Duncan B said:

What's not to like about a nice shiny NMF Lightning, very nicely done.

Good choice to use the Quickboost nose ring too as I have read that it is slightly longer than the kit parts and brings the model up to the correct scale length.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, yes it's definitely a must for this kit. I've even succesfully used it on the Airfix kit as well. Mainly so that you wouldn't get that join mark going down the middle of the fuselage.

18 hours ago, swralph said:

Excellent build Martin.😀

Much appreciated Ralph! 🙂

Martin

• Like 2

Gorgeous Lightning! Very striking in those glorious markings, and a fantastic neat paint job too.

Can I ask, what’s the reason for black under the silver? I’ve done a few silver/natural metal sprays and I have to be honest I’ve never used any undercoat or primer. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Gorgeous Lightning! Very striking in those glorious markings, and a fantastic neat paint job too.

Can I ask, what’s the reason for black under the silver? I’ve done a few silver/natural metal sprays and I have to be honest I’ve never used any undercoat or primer. 

Thank you!

In all honesty, I'm still experimenting with the Alclad. The gloss black is meant to give the Alclad both something to grip to & give a deep background for a shiny finish.

But saying that, I'm still finding out for myself, but I won't be using the gloss black base next time for this sort of subject as it initially gave the model too much of a shiny effect. Maybe all it needed was the gloss black base for the nose ring only. I haven't tried any metal coat without a primer.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, LightningBoy said:

Great looking F3 Lightningboy 2000. Brilliant choice of colour scheme too, I haven't done that one yet in 1: 48.

LightningBoy

Thanks mate, glad you liked it. Got a couple more on the shelf of shame gathering dust that need painting! Maybe another one will be completed this year!

Martin