1/72 Revell F-101B Voodoo, TDY to 13th Bomb Sqn, Ubon RTAFB, 1970 - Vietnam War

1/72 Revell F-101B Voodoo, TDY to 13th Bomb Sqn, Ubon RTAFB, 1970 - Vietnam War

My main interest is the Vietnam War and the many aircarft that operated there.  Coupled to this I also like to throw in a curve ball every now and again.  This Voodoo is one of them!

This is the Revell F-101B, airbrushed using Tamiya paints, spare decals and a Flory wash to highlight all the lovely surface detail.

A bit of 'History'.
In order to further reduce the flow of supplies from the North via the Ho Chi Minh Trail, USAF planners converted a  F-101B to be used in the night attack role against ground targets.  Using 4 x modified AIM-4H missiles in the air to ground role this unique Voodoo became the very first Tank Plinker.

Working alongside the B-57G out of Ubon RTAFB, the Voodoo was moderately successful but ultimately did not impress enough to warrant more airframes being converted.

Cheers all,

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52

That's terrific!  I really like the Voodoo and your build is excellent.  I had to check and make sure it was really 1/72!  I like the camo B-57 too.  I have one of those planned myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Excellent Voodoo!  :clap2:

I'd be interested in your opinion of the Revell kit.

Cheers all.  This is purely a work of fiction by the way (for those thinking WTF....!), I just wanted to have the twin seat Voodoo in SEA scheme.  I have even more outlandish builds planned....!!

The Revell kit is great.  Lovely surface detail, good fit and builds into a decent sized model too.  The instructions would have you insert the cockpit tub once the fuselage were together which for me caused big problems with the cockpit IP and needed remedial work to fix. The decals in mine were shot but I didn't need to use them anyway.  I would easily recommend it if you can find one knocking around.

Phil

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

This is purely a work of fiction by the way (for those thinking WTF....!), I just wanted to have the twin seat Voodoo in SEA scheme.  I have even more outlandish builds planned....!!

Like a 747 in European 1 wraparound camo?

• Haha 1

Great build and I love the F-101B in a SEA camo scheme. Not entirely a 'whif' though, I do remember the 1986 Alconbury airshow where they had an F-101B Voodoo in wrap-round SEA used as a BDR training frame, although that one had black stencilled 'star and bar' markings.

Michael

• Like 1

That is one beautiful One Oh Wonder! Just out of IRAN or the paint shop, to be sure, but a beauty nonetheless! That's an amazing collection of SEA scheme jets, too, I am sooo jealous of your B-57 and F-102 especially. :like:

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is one beautiful One Oh Wonder! Just out of IRAN or the paint shop, to be sure, but a beauty nonetheless! That's an amazing collection of SEA scheme jets, too, I am sooo jealous of your B-57 and F-102 especially. :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike,  I will try and get some photos of my Vietnam collection over the weekend when the light is better.  I have dozens more aircraft in the stash as well, too little time these days unfortunately.... 

6 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Thanks Mike,  I will try and get some photos of my Vietnam collection over the weekend when the light is better.  I have dozens more aircraft in the stash as well, too little time these days unfortunately.... 

Exzellent Work Phil 👌 The Voodoo looks great!

I am looking forward seeing more of your Vietnam collection !

Seeing different Planes side by side gives a good impression of their size ...

(I like your Crusader too👍)

• Like 1