LifeColor paints for A6M2 Zero?

Fin

Does anyone know if any of the Lifecolor paints would be a decent representation for the overall grey(amber whatever) colour of a Mitsubishi built/Pearl Harbor A6M Zero?

Generally, as far as referring to the FS goes, I`ve read in several places that FS16350 and FS *4201 would be close choices, even though both are said to lack the green tint that the original Japanese paint had. *6350 is not present in the Lifecolor range as far as I can see, but there are no fewer than 8 paints equivalent to FS34201:

https://airbrushes.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=34201&x=0&y=0

Does anyone know which of these would be closer to the Mitsubishi used paint? Thanks for any answers!

Digitally, if the link of swatches are accurately matched to LifeColor paints, then I would suggest the first one, LC-UA039.  It would need to be lightened by almost 15%, and just a hint of green added (probably good enough withou the addition) to match Nick Millman's pdf on IJN paints.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alternatively you could consider using Colourcoats paints from Sovereign as they have both the Mitsubishi and Nakajima 'grey' for PH period A6M2's, and having just used their Mitsubishi 'grey' on my current A6M2 project the colour looks to be spot on.

They also do the correct blue/black colour for Mitsubishi cowlings and fuselage decking.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:37 PM, JackG said:

Digitally, if the link of swatches are accurately matched to LifeColor paints, then I would suggest the first one, LC-UA039.  It would need to be lightened by almost 15%, and just a hint of green added (probably good enough withou the addition) to match Nick Millman's pdf on IJN paints.

regards,

Jack

Thank you very much! That was quite a helpful analyses. How did you do it? Just observation or did you somehow analysed those swatches with a software or something?

20 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Alternatively you could consider using Colourcoats paints from Sovereign as they have both the Mitsubishi and Nakajima 'grey' for PH period A6M2's, and having just used their Mitsubishi 'grey' on my current A6M2 project the colour looks to be spot on.

They also do the correct blue/black colour for Mitsubishi cowlings and fuselage decking.

Regards

Colin.

Thank you! I know of them, but I am looking for water-based acrylics. Since lifecolor had a long list of paints for that fs I was hoping there might be some hidden solution there. :D

2 hours ago, Fin said:

Thank you very much! That was quite a helpful analyses. How did you do it? Just observation or did you somehow analysed those swatches with a software or something?

I compared the RGB values in photo software.  An adjustment of 15% lightness brought it near, but not the exact number values to Mr. Millman's example.   Only other problem with this info,  does 15% white paint give the same result - maybe?

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

If you can get Mission Models' paints, their MMP-110 is an extremely close match to the Munsell reference listed by Nicholas Millman for the Mitsubishi amber gray in his works on the early Zero. I used the color on my own 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2 last year. Sadly, the Colourcoats paints aren't easily available here in the former Colonies...

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Thanks 1