0-2A Skymaster

Having built the Airfix 0-2A Skymaster when I was a kid, I just had to get the ICM's 1/48 kit when it came out. 

The kit is well detailed and goes together well. I used Eduard's etched seat belts which really look good.

I heard that the main gear is a weak spot so I bought the excellent Aerocraft Models brass undercarriage set.

If anyone has this kit be aware that the decals let it down - they are so thin that they fold up at the slightest touch. I ruined three of them but luckily found a couple I could adapt. I couldn't do anything about the other one .

I took time detailing the radio rack as can be seen below:

spacer.png

However, even with all the windows on this aircraft you can't see much of the detail inside!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Mick

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Looks very neat, however I just have to ask - how did you go about attaching the Eduard seatbelts to the cabin roof?

I'm asking because I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them to both the seats and the roof and make it look realistic - which you seem to have managed very well! 

• Like 1

Thanks all for all your great comments.

Hopkp, I attached the shoulder belts to the roof first, just behind the second roof window, before attaching the wing to the fuselage. Then I draped them over the seats and then attached the windscreen last when I was happy with the belts. It was very fiddly but worth it in the end.

• Thanks 3

Hello Mick !!

Now, that's a great FAC O-2 !!

Very well done, Congrats !!

I still have the old testors in the stash but now....

Inspiring job !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks all for the feedback.

CC the ICM kit puts the testor's one to shame, especially with the interior and you don't have to cut holes in the fuselage to fit the extra windows!

Unless you relish a challenge I would get an ICM one. I see that there are now three versions, mine is the early USAF one.

Lovely job! I've had a soft spot for the Skymaster for ages, due to the one I used to see flying around during the '80s. I've built a couple of the Airfix kits, but am hoping that ICM scales down the kit to 1/72. If I ever find out which particular 337 I used to see, I'll certainly be doing that one.

Cheers,

Mark.