Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. *

Simon Nonymous

* actually I'm usually broke, and my taste is usually questionable. Compulsory copyright disclaimer that also I am not Mick Jagger.

Just turned 50 something, and Ive been modelling since probably 1975 or so, with a few breaks here and there; now that I have the time and a bit of disposable income, I am enjoying myself immensely. I model for many reasons, but one is because it helps me with my mental health - to do something that's constructive, that makes me control my moods and emotions, and allows me to focus my mind on good things. I started back after ALDI/LIDL sold me a couple of their five quid Christmas kits a couple of years back, and before you know it I was at my local model shop (RossMods in Rawtenstall) buying bits and bobs and more models. I tried a couple of Facebook groups but found them a bit full of people who wanted their egos massaged when they listed how many products they used on a kit that looked bobbins, plus the admins seemed to have been trained by the KGB. I'm hoping to find a bit more of a British approach here!

My current models are part of a project to build all of Bomber Command's front line aircraft 1939 to 1945 in memory of my grandfather who served as ground crew on Halifaxes during the second world war, and who taught me the basics of modelling. so far so good, and not even half way through (or a quarter of the way if you count the engines!) plus I also delve into 1:48, currently in the last few days of the Airfix Blenheim Mk1F and also have a selection of 1944 Commonwealth AFVs in Normandy thanks to Tamiya's little range. There's not very much I haven't tried in the past from the old 1:72 vehicles and planes of my youth, Tamiya's 1:35 AFVs and figures; for wargaming 1/300 armour, 5mm Napoleonics, 25mm mediaeval and ancients.... and as a war gamer, I've boxes of Avalon Hill and GDW games, but love the 21st century convenience of PC wargaming too. (Main game played at the mo is War Thunder).

Always happy to help if I can, and to keep modelling a pleasure that we all can enjoy!

NB - somewhere I have my old  beret that may ring bells with a certain admin here.... bleep bleep Bullbasket!

Edited by Simon Nonymous
  • Like 6

Welcome to the group Simon.  I'm only in 1 Facebook page for my genre and dont do model clubs. Far too many rivet counters. Hope you enjoy it here. Any questions however silly or daft,  just ask.

• Thanks 1

Hello Simon ... :post1: from the city by the lake Chicago USA. Been building since 79, & I'm 50 now. Mostly aircraft but occasionally armor or some sci-fi will fall onto my desk. Ive only ever belonged to this site, I couldn't agree more on facebook. Walked away from that whole lot in 2012 and I never looked back or regretted my decision. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timn said:

Welcome to the group Simon.  I'm only in 1 Facebook page for my genre and dont do model clubs. Far too many rivet counters. Hope you enjoy it here. Any questions however silly or daft,  just ask.

thank you   - noted another of your posts, and I'm actually a Yorkshireman living and working in exile in Lancs, but my other half is in Scarborough, so you're not totally alone. We loved Eden camp by the way - I assume you've visiited?

No mate. Passed it thousands of times as a lorrydriver and weekends were taken up looking after a family member. That's changed now so hopefully when it's open, i will pop over. Lived in North Yorkshire 94% of my life and like our lass,, never visited the Yorkshire Show    shame on us.  I'm just 4 mins from the old Eggborough power station

15 hours ago, Timn said:

No mate. Passed it thousands of times as a lorrydriver and weekends were taken up looking after a family member. That's changed now so hopefully when it's open, i will pop over. Lived in North Yorkshire 94% of my life and like our lass,, never visited the Yorkshire Show    shame on us.  I'm just 4 mins from the old Eggborough power station

Well it's worth a day out and I am sure they will appreciate the support when they reopen!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Welcome aboard Simon. Does that mean that we have another Scaley joining us??

John.

Very ex John but yes. I did an O Type engagement in 1989 then back to the TA at Uni - bottled it in the end , but my GF's lad is a scaley too. 

Hi Simon, welcome to Britmodeller, I have been registered on here for ten years and it is a good forum and most of us do not always take ourselves that seriously at some time. Although not  Yorkshire born, I have lived in Sheffield and Leeds since 1972 and married a lass from North Yorkshire. I have been trying to  build kits properly since about 1968 when I was 14. You are right about it being good for your mental health and has been a life saver during some very stressful times in my life. I build aircraft exclusively in 1/72nd scale. 

Good modelling, Martin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...