We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx. 1/72 Short L17

Pin

Great job and you nailed those decals.....apart from one thing. That flag is not the Royal Navy's White Ensign, but is the Civil Air Ensign, which was pale blue with a dark blue cross, instead of white and red.

The prop blades were covered in fabric and painted medium grey, same as on the HP42. Pretty much standard on British aircraft of this era, to stop them absorbing moisture and warping. Also protected against erosion from rain and sand. No varnished wood, as you incorrectly see on so many models....

@Roger Holden

How could I possibly sleep at night ... 

IMG-20220118-121434.jpg

IMG-20220118-123413.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I am good for engines and props - if you could copy the wheel that would be great, but don't damage the masterpiece!

Good news Scott :)  I can make a copy

IMG-20220118-175645-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Alexey you have done an incredible job with this kit. I have this one in my stash along with two of Toshihiko’s Ensigns I helped him with data for those by sourcing plans for him. Can I be very cheeky and if you are moulding additional sets of resin wheels, props and engines could I have set?

I would be more than happy to pay for them up front of up to £50 plus postage if that worked for you?

My email if you wish to sort directly is [email protected] 

Regards 

John Holt

• Thanks 1

Thank you John. Sure, and there is no need to upfront payment. 

I don't have The Ensign yet but this bird is definitely in my plans. I naively think it will be somewhat easier to build because of its smoother lines and lack of corrugation

Copied a wheel, looks OK to me

IMG-20220119-093621-1.jpg

I also checked the forms for stabilizer and elevators - worthless. @Johnedwardholt @Jinxman @MarkoZG are they really needed? It will take me some time to redo them and frankly I don't have a great desire to do it. 

Servo trim tab is salvageable, so are two-bladed props. Should I perhaps try to make the wheels weighted? 

Alexey 

As Jinxman I am happy to take what I you think will be useful for the Scylla.

The Ensign is lovely kit. I actually have two to build. One as Mk 1 impressed with the RAF as the photo posted  by Marko previously which I think is of an airfield RAF Staverton Gloucestershire in 1940 with an impressed Ensign, HP 42 and Scylla being readied to fly supplies to the BEF in France . I am pretty sure the Scylla is in camouflage in that photo, but other than that and one photo of a trashed of G-ACJJ  at Drem Scotland in Sept 1940. I have never seen any other photos in camouflage. If nec I will look to mirror the HP 42 camouflage of which I have a 1/72 built Contrail example  and there are plenty of images of for my Scylla

Albeit I am not necessarily convinced by the yellow underneath for Impressed HP 42s mine (Horsa) actually has RAF sky underneath  which looks right to me, and certainly Impressed DH Albatross were not nec yellow underneath nor do I think impressed Ensigns of which there are also loads of images they were either sky or aluminium   Yellow whilst common for RAF support types seems a very odd colour for what were large military transports supplying the frontline.

My second Mk 2 Ensign will definitely be slightly speculative as G- AXFV was operated by the Luftwaffe for short while after being captured by the Vichy French following an emergency landing in Africa,  before they scrapped it  probably due to lack of spares. The Luftwaffe very often used foreign aircraft as larger transports.  I have never seen a photo of that one so it will likely be standard Luftwaffe splinter and I think will be fun if nothing else.

These will fit i into my collection which is WW2 1/72 British & Commonwealth and German operated.

Edited by Johnedwardholt

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Johnedwardholt said:

Alexey any progress on resin bits for Scylla? Regards John

I have ordered supplies, resin should arrive this week then I will try to cast a first batch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started casting last week

IMG-20220305-104810-1.jpg

and then unthinkable happened that totally paralyzed me, I find it very difficult to work let alone pursuing the hobby. I need a purpose to continue and I think I have found one; I will cast a set (free) for anyone who pledges (and proves to me) 40£ or more to any charity that provides humanitarian aid to relieve suffering of those who is affected by this war no matter the side (although I am very one sided). Let me know if it works for you 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The content of detail set

- 4 x Bristol Jupiter X engines with L.17 exhaust extensions

- 4 two-bladed props (can cast 4 on request)

- wheels

- servo tab 

- T-shaped things no idea what is their purpose and/or correct term

- laser printed decal for both Scylla / Syrinx variants 

@MarkoZG

@Johnedwardholt

@Roger Holden

IMG-20220314-112200.jpg
IMG-20220314-113308.jpg
IMG-20220314-160049.jpg

IMG-20220314-160058.jpg

• Like 3