We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx. 1/72 Short L17

Pin

I tried to sand, smooth, cut and prime just to understand how to work with this material. 

The pic above is not my kit, it is taken from the manufacturer's facebook page and yes, engine section is printed this way. On one hand it guarantees the correct alignment between the struts, wing and engine nacelles; on the other hand it makes it difficult to sand (and sanding is absolutely required to eliminate printing texture) so I'm guessing I will cut the struts off, we'll see. 

Any recommendations for aftermarket Bristol Jupiters? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pin said:

I got myself some from Engines & Things - just in case I couldn't clean those pieces from the kit up.

30 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

just in case I couldn't clean those pieces from the kit up

I will not even try, not worth it.

I know some guy has casted  Jupiter XFBM ( the right modification! ) with radiators for HP42, same engine that powered L17

https://karopka.ru/forum/messages/forum189/topic29648/message1367026/#message1367026

but I know nothing about the availability

6 hours ago, Pin said:

I tried to sand, smooth, cut and prime just to understand how to work with this material. 

The pic above is not my kit, it is taken from the manufacturer's facebook page and yes, engine section is printed this way. On one hand it guarantees the correct alignment between the struts, wing and engine nacelles; on the other hand it makes it difficult to sand (and sanding is absolutely required to eliminate printing texture) so I'm guessing I will cut the struts off, we'll see. 

That engine section is amazing; must be a showpiece of what can be done in 3D printing, but also the limitation of how you then have to dismantle it to clean up the ... well, what do you call them? Printer striations? Moulding lines can't be the right word, but I've heard people comment about the problem of it with 3D printing for model railway items - @Enzo Matrix be ready for when you come to smooth your boiler out. Well not your boiler obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's get started, shall we?

The wing in all of its might. The ribs are shown with trenches so they should be filled and then the fabric scribed

IMG-20210320-102747.jpg

IMG-20210320-111825.jpg

IMG-20210320-133033.jpg

Also decided to cut off ailerons

After some scrapping and sanding

IMG-20210320-211641.jpg

I'm not fully happy yet with the wing but you see the difference.

Another point of concern was corrugation on the body. I thought about sanding it down entirely but decided to try to deal with it first.

I rarely spay Mr. Surfacer 500 but this time it seems like it did the trick (and a lot of sanding, of course)

IMG-20210305-142752.jpg

IMG-20210320-211538.jpg

IMG-20210320-211554.jpg

I blew some aluminum to untreated part just for comparison

IMG-20210320-211614.jpg

IMG-20210320-211614.jpg 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Alexey

Is this aircraft related to the Kent Flying Boat ?

They do look familiar 

cheers Pat

According to Wikipedia, Syrinx was one of the two Short Scyllas built and the Scyllas were a land-based development of the Kent.  Well spotted.

21 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I wonder if the person who made your Scylla, would be interested in making a Kent ?

He is not AFAIK. He said Scylla is not selling well. 

Thanks Alexey

Hopefully when people see you build of this aircraft it will generate more sales for him.

I will ask him, as I would definitely buy a Kent.

With any luck many of the Scylla parts would be common to both.

Best of luck with your build

Cheers Pat 

I am lucky to obtain this model of Bristol Jupiter XFBM , courtesy of Musa Zekoreev of Prop&Jet. Can anybody recommend a 3D shop to have it printed with maximal possible quality? The plan is to have a master printed and do resin casting

JupiterX.jpg

Apart from that there is nothing to show. I'm constantly sanding, scalloping, scrubbing and priming. Have spent a can of Mr.Surfacer 500 already that is evidently unsustainable so I replaced it with Halford's plastic primer that although not as good as Mr.Surfacer is much cheaper and does the job. 

• Like 2

Hi, can't help with the printing, but happy to share some costs if you do get it to casting stage - I'll PM you.

Same here with the primer - I only move onto the Mr.Surfacer when the Halford's stuff has done its job. 😀

• Like 1

Instrument panel is designed in InkScape, printed twice to scale, one copy is punched with Punch-n-die, soaked in superglue for rigidness, sanded and painted back

IMG-20210401-130339-1.jpg

Sandwich is glued with Future that gives "glassy" shine to lower level

IMG-20210401-130627-1.jpg

The result

IMG-20210401-131046-1.jpg

• Like 10

Looking great Alexey, that instrument panel is a work of art.

I caught up with Toshihiko, he originally wanted to make the Kent flying boat but couldn't find plans for it.

So if anyone knows where to find a copy of the plans, please let me know.

Cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress. 

Decided not to spend much time on interiour, I'm not opening the doors so not much will be visible

IMG-20210418-091331.jpg

IMG-20210425-144004.jpg

IMG-20210425-144151.jpg

IMG-20210425-144155.jpg

Casting engine parts. Tried a different type of resin, not sure yet that I like EasyFlo more than Sylmasta yet. 

IMG-20210425-144350.jpg

Kit airscrew is on the right

IMG-20210425-144414.jpg

Almost eliminated 3D texture from engine nacelles and struts. 

IMG-20210425-144536.jpg

• Like 10

Oh wow, I am not sure how I missed this, but it looks a beauty of a kit. I know you are doing a lot to improve it, but it is a great starting point. The printed engines look fabulous too.

I am looking forward to seeing more to this one.

All the best, Ray