Runners and Riders aka GB Stats

While everyone else is laying down markers for their builds, I'm still trying to 'arrange the furniture in the club house'!

So, this is a marker for where I hope to put some statistics as things progress. I've not got much idea and even less experience so would be very happy to defer to anyone who'd be willing to provide an overview.

It seems to me that as well as the very basic

• Declared runners (thread started)
  • At the starting gate (progress made)
  • Over the finish line (into the gallery)

It would be interesting to see the contribution of different genres and choice of medium. Is there any merit in scale, era etc?

Thanks everyone, and happy sanding, CADing and everything else you're busy with.

• Like 3

Drawing very heavily on the work of @Robert Stuart for which I'm hugely grateful with the epic stats he's producing over in the Africa GB (a big continent needs a lot of stats😉), here's a link to stats for this GB

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YJFjvti0qJ19uoKnR8a6no1cRPGQKI4F4-pa5-TUlp8/edit?usp=sharing

Still a work in progress, but hopefully it'll be more shipshape come the official start of Saturday.

To copy Robert's notes:

There are three pages on that spreadsheet:
    Builds, which I hope you will help keep up dated.
    Charts, to help visualise theinformation, and which may be added to in time
   And a Data page which contains lists of stuff to look up; countries, scales and so on

Please, if you feel able, help keep the sheets up to date and correct the spellings &c on the Builds page (splleings are not my strong point).  Help out others who may not be as happy to work on spreadsheets.
Also, I don't want to be the only person landed with keeping the sheet up to date - I want some time to build my kits. 

* An experiment will always work; occasionally, it will even give you the answer you want.

You can save individual charts as .png files, then host and post them in much the same way you would a WIP shot.

At the moment, some of the charts etc. don't work because I'm still re-engineering it, but here's some titbits to start you stat junkies off

pubchart?oid=1720013567&format=image 

pubchart?oid=974295421&format=image 

pubchart?oid=779740955&format=image

pubchart?oid=1665643959&format=image 

pubchart?oid=1876057104&format=image  

pubchart?oid=1530417752&format=image  

pubchart?oid=22612777&format=image 

pubchart?oid=1064106933&format=image 

Edited by Mjwomack
Now with even more charts!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank-you @Mjwomack, this does seem to be a good way forward, because people can (and do) help keep the data up-to-date.
Those notes are out of date, there are four pages on my sheet.  It is up to you whether you want the fourth page (the scratch-pad).

Heads up, the charts in my OP are linked directly from the spreadsheet, so don't need to be hosted.
The snapshots, being static, are saved locally and then hosted (go to the chart on the Britmodeller page, right-click, save image as, give it a name, then copy to your photo host service).

And thank you @Robert Stuart, I thought I'd done something wrong; when I've reset my brain (tomorrow) I'll be dropping you a PM. One things I've learnt (apart from how nerdy I am at heart) is that Sheets has no trace dependents/ precedents function which makes things tricky🤪

• Like 1

all hail the Holy Spreadsheet!!!  :worthy:

........bringing order to the chaos world of modelling since someone decided to use one to help keep track of their stash! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to Runners and Riders aka GB Stats
8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

all hail the Holy Spreadsheet!!!  :worthy:

........bringing order to the chaos world of modelling since someone decided to use one to help keep track of their stash! :D

And now with added charts. As we head towards the start there's already 29 modellers putting up 43 builds; that's an under-statement because some people @Heather Kay and @PeterB  take a bow, are consolidating several builds in one thread.

As the medium of choice, resin is in a commanding position, and that's before @trickyrich shows his cards!

Probably no surprise that WW2 and post-war (Cold War) are the era of choice (any classicist who knows the plural of era, feel free to amend!).

More to follow and I might even do some modelling myself.

• Like 1

I'm going with Latex ...... opps I mean vinyl. :D I'll be popping my cherry with this medium, so it should be interesting.

But it is great to see lots of resin out there...... and I may even pop in the chat section a couple of serious resin builds I've done that do show off the medium.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, trickyrich said:

I'm going with Latex ...... opps I mean vinyl. :D I'll be popping my cherry with this medium, so it should be interesting.

But it is great to see lots of resin out there...... and I may even pop in the chat section a couple of serious resin builds I've done that do show off the medium.

Even with you experimenting with err 'vinyl' your resin comrades have a commanding grip on the medium of choice. alongside the brave new world of 3D printing, the old lags of white metal and card show they've still got followers. I was expecting a lot more vac-form tbh, but maybe early days still.

As for the brands of choice, given how eclectic it is, no surprise that any manufacturers with two or more builds stands out, and so a special mention to Choroszy, because it's fun to type and messes with the spell-checker and because two days ago I'd never even heard of them. Does look like 3D and scratch build, which are arguably variations on a theme are going to be the pace-setters though.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

One minor correction:  the US Coast Guard is Military, not Civil....

Tidied up. Yes, that makes it different from the UK coastguard which is what I based my guess on. As I sort the spreadsheet on alphabet I thought you were assured being easy to find as the strongest thread in the build- holding all the others up! But @Torbjorn has probably got that stitched up with Zorn's Flying boat to avoid actually calling it Farman HF23

At the other end of the mystic spreadsheet, @Kallisti has lost his spot after @AdrianMF eased in from with a 1:1 hummingbird, only matter of time before someone turns up with a 1:1 badger, only to loose out to an aardvark!

In more mundane things, with pretty much a month of the GB gone, I think the hummingbirds take us to pre-history, and the Bablyon Starfury it dislodged took us into the future so that's the whole of history taken care of, though WW2 and Cold War account for over 50% of the builds which is probably not a surprise. Geographically we've got everything covered as well.

As for material, it's still predominantly the resin GB, though it's not got the stranglehold it did have. Vac-Form is still a good second; for those who don't abhor a vacuum, @LorenSharp is canvassing support for an exclusive Vac-form GB, sign up here

Though scanning the list, quite a few of you already have- a case of the usual suspects!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed you have my build down as a Fletcher kit. Actually its a Unicraft kit of a Fletcher FU-24. I have adjusted the wording in my thread to help anyone in future thinking a new manufacturer is out there.

Colin

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Just noticed you have my build down as a Fletcher kit. Actually its a Unicraft kit of a Fletcher FU-24. I have adjusted the wording in my thread to help anyone in future thinking a new manufacturer is out there.

Colin

Thanks for tidying that up. All the banter about Unicraft and the quality of moulding threw me😬

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I love this (although I am supremely geeky) I would love it if more group builds presented all of this info!

@Robert Stuart is the person to thank. I've taken a catch-up at his Africa GB stats and seen that he's added even more sophistication, I 'd like to but don't think that I can match them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I love this (although I am supremely geeky) I would love it if more group builds presented all of this info!

There are down-sides to keeping those stats up-to-date ...
When there are new, unread, comments in a build, the title changes to bold.  This is helpful for knowing where there have been changes - but, BUT, I have to be am careful NOT to read build threads unless I am also updating the stats (which, kind of, goes against my reason for being here - I want to follow other people's builds).

I've no idea how Mjwomack, as a host, will manage, but, he will have a different strategy that works for him.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:35 PM, Robert Stuart said:

he will have a different strategy that works for him.

I should be so lucky (except I'm not Kylie!) With 99 build threads and closer to 125 actual builds going on, most of the time I'm just riding the whirlwind- if the counts as a strategy!

Truth be told that a large part of the playground is un-supervised; I keep meaning to get back to page 5!

• Haha 1

Coming up to the halfway stage and already 28 threads and made it to the gallery (or galleries- remember there's a display only and a completion one in this GB)- that's very impressive especially as two of them are by me which is comfortably double the number I've ever completed in a whole year in the past.

As a medium, resin is loosing it's strong monopoly of things but still just makes up 50%. Probably no surprise that vac-form is also popular but what I hadn't expected was that the antique world of card/ paper and white metal would put in comparatively strong showings. Boldly (or not) going into the future, 3D printing is stuck on 6 threads and aside from @Pin not showing much progress (you know who you are, others!).  Not understanding anything of this voodoo magic, maybe there's nothing to see until you press 'print' and it all happens in a hurry.

As for era, there's a little bit of futuristic/ fantasy but not as much as I expected. No surprise that WW2 is  a quarter of the builds but the Cold War period is just in front. I think the wonderful innovation of the period lends itself to the short-run productions of resin and vac. And pre-WW2 to the start of the 20th century is also having its day in the sun- again another period of innovation.

Hope everyone's enjoying themselves, even if it's in a slightly frustrating kind of way at times.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 2:41 PM, Pin said:

My progress is mostly too boring either - sand, prime, repeat ... 

For sure, you're making progress, it's the other 3D prints that are completely stalled or lost on a broken server somewhere, or whatever it is that happens to 3D printing projects.