Airfix Vintage Classic - SdKfz 234/4 armoured car

Hi everyone. I've been on a bit of a modelling nostalgia trip recently, and wanted to have a go at a kit which was one of my favourites in my distant youth, the much maligned Airfix Sd.Kfz 234/4 armoured car.  As most people will know, Airfix messed it up with totally inaccurate mudguards, but I decided to ignore this, build it out of the box and just see how it would look with a bit of up-to-date painting and weathering. The only slight modification was to drill out the muzzle brake.

Not many of these vehicles were built, only seeing service in the last months of the war. They appear to have had a three-colour factory painted camo scheme, which I tried to recreate using Tamiya's new Dark Yellow (XF-88), with Red Brown (XF-64) and NATO Green (XF-67).  Afterwards I gave it a pin wash, although there isn't much detail to highlight, followed by some dry pigments. 

I painted up the crew too, even though they're dressed somewhat inappropriately in early war uniforms. Not that we can blame Airfix, as in those days German troops portrayed in war films and comics always looked like that! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The commander was always portrayed like this in the Airfix catalogue:

spacer.png

Any model looks better on a wooden plinth!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and all the best,

Ian.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, swralph said:

Nice one Ian.😀

Thanks Ralph.

19 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Cracking result...   That's one I must do again myself.   Great job on the tiny figures as well.

Cheers. Good luck with yours. If I ever do one again I'll replace the Pak 40 with the one from the Opel Blitz set as it's a bit beefier and better moulded. And maybe nick the mudguards and other details from the Matchbox Puma. An expensive option though...

• Like 1

Excellent work, how you have achieved that i do not know ,but looks nothing like the airfix model of my youth. Well done 👏 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...