Alcock Scout aka the Sopwith Mouse

Marklo

a4c0edcf-e851-4a7a-9a8b-d34f8bd2b410.jpeMy second entry to the GB a 1/48 scratchbuilt Alcock scout. It’s basically a reworked Sopwith Pup and was faster and more manoeuvrable but by the time it was tested the Camel was already well under way. More to follow.

• Like 4

resized_17e85356-40ab-43d6-8e38-e58d8703My starting point my first attempt at a scratch built pup fuselage, rescued from the scrap box and reworked to correct some alignment errors and a molded turtle deck from same. Next I need to root out the buck I made for the cheeks and the cowl and mold a set. Oh rustle up my pup plans and make some wings. 

I want to press on with the Swordfish and my Skyhawk so I don’t think I’ll be doing a lot more on this one till the GB start date proper.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

resized_d8abf514-314f-4a14-89d9-e4c76a37I’ve been letting this drift a bit but it’s a build I think I’m going to enjoy so time for some Alcock action ( hmm that just doesn’t sound right… anyhew… @CedB? )

Painted the stringers, cut done wing blanks ( the upper wing is all one piece with no diehedral so should be very straightforward) and cut and formed some soft drinks can alumium to make the front metal panels. I’ll need to mold a cowling and scratch an engine and some wheels but that’s the bulk of the components started.

• Like 6

resized_601ab12f-275a-4532-b066-bab59829Added stringers to the fuselage and cut out, ruled and painted the fuselage side pieces, also trimmed the upper wing blanks. Once the paint is dry I can start assembling the fuselage.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

9eacd5cb-c438-4c75-a375-fe103999caa4.jpe Cheek panels on. From a 7up can.

resized_2eaa5b1a-36e2-4d42-bf77-54468ca2lower wings complete . Upper wing is drying.

Reread my references yesterday and also  spent some time staring at the drawings. It’s a real mish mash the fuselage front is from a triplane, the upper wing a pup, the horizontal tail a camel. It’s a sesquiplane and two bay construction, so very different from any other Sopwith scout. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

resized_66f83b87-b4d9-410c-8b42-25d4bca2Since I was making a tail for the Mouse,  I also made one for the Swallow, the little square above the Mouse is the lower wing centre section. The lower wing is attacked by short struts not unlike the arrangement on the Bristol fighter.

As the two are now at pretty much the same build stage I think I’ll progress them together, from here on.

• Like 5

I did this myself years ago using an old Revell Triplane kit and the upper wing from a Pup.

I think the drawings in the Bruce book are wrong in suggesting the upper turtle deck slopes back towards the tail - based on an optical illusion in one particular photo. If you look at this photo, the upper fuselage looks standard Triplane with straight longerons

Alcock_Scout.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

If you look at this photo, the upper fuselage looks standard Triplane with straight longerons

Funnily enough I’ve spent a lot of time looking at photos and would concur and have made the join straight on the Alcock . I also realised that the swallow does tapir and sanded it a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Funnily enough I’ve spent a lot of time looking at photos and would concur and have made the join straight on the Alcock . I also realised that the swallow does tapir and sanded it a bit.

I thought you had, but thought I'd mention it just in case!

• Haha 1

resized_78fd006f-a983-4aee-bb13-468e7f67Lower wings attached. Rudder fabricated and attached. The green is just to see how good the fuselage joints are. Cockpit and undercarriage next.

Of course the more of this I build the more I want to finish one of my Camels for comparison. Now I do have a completed Pup and a triplane. But the whole set with the Mouse and the Swallow ( and of course the Snark) would look even more interesting.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

resized_62cae20a-0bc3-49eb-9d23-d4b4fd80Upper wing fitted and a lot of holes drilled. Struts and rigging next.

resized_1ca1a408-0df7-4468-b40a-2b250714For my next trick I will attempt to resin cast an engine and some wheels.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...