Oertz W6 the Flying schooner - doesn’t get much odder than this

Marklo

resized_5cd986ae-e73a-4f3a-9f10-8c2454d4

resized_18d52489-5845-4296-82cb-599b3dc1Started the n the interior. I have no references at all I more or less know the cockpit cutouts and the position of the two Maybach engines and that there were three crew, presumably two pilots side by side and an observer to the front, but other than that nothing. So I’m going for a plausible interior, assuming ply sheet over spruce or similar ribs and stringers. Looks about right to me. 

• Like 7

resized_29172577-196d-468a-b052-8418b0cdAfter some filling and sanding. Had the airbrush out for my Skyhawk so I gave it a coat of primer just to see how much more filler I’m going to need. A fair but still needed but  getting there.

• Like 3

resized_66bc9754-fbe4-4ddb-88da-7bf6c5b8After another round of filler sanding and primer. Had some desert yellow in the airbrush for my Skyhawk so gave the interior a coat. Hopefully only one more cycle of filling needed. If you’re bored with this phase come back in a few days and I should be on to the front wings and the booms :) 

• Like 7

resized_94c1f374-4c6e-4c3f-8035-a19a8a96Horizontal tail, just need to make some slots for the control horns.

I now have the makings of the tail and booms. So some assembly can start.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

846a59f3-9822-4291-896f-e1cf1a3c7f75.jpeNot perfect but it will do. Rattle can primer on. I think I may actually use this as the main colour as it’s giving a hood finish and it’s pretty much the right shade. Next off black stripes and a dark grey upper deck.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 7:26 PM, Marklo said:

What keeps going through my head is the episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to build a swimming pool but makes a barn first.

‘Is it a plane yet?’ To which an Amish gentleman replies ‘ no but tis a fine boat English’

The term 'flying boat' looks particularly apt here.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Well mr Oertz was a boatbuilder first and even built yachts for the Kaiser. I get the impression that for the W6 he decided to stop trying to make the hull look like an aeroplane.

That seems pretty astute.  You've reminded me of Supermarine, which had a link with boat-building through Hubert Scott-Paine.  He was the factory manager for Pemberton-Milling Ltd, which became the Supermarine Aviation Company Ltd.

I think in that era a lot of wood working industry was drafted into aeroplane manufacture, so boatbuilders and carpenters needed up making planes under  license and then their own designs.

I love the origin of the name Supermarine based on the logic that if an underwater vehicle was a submarine then anything on the surface was Supermarine hence the name.

And of course speaking of Supermarine  was my last completed build.

resized_23ef337b-42c1-4f5f-8172-b369953c

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

After a very frustrating hour or two at the bench I’m getting precisely nowhere with the tail boom. Nothing else for it I’m going to have to figure out how to solder the assembly. More to follow…,

• Sad 1

Ok today’s mission. Find my solder flux, find the solder I bought to go with it ( using electrical solder and it’s not working well) watch some more soldering tutorials and attempt some brass rod soldering.

If I get the time I may start cutting out the wing blanks as well.

• Like 1

resized_8e0b0afe-a7b3-4f38-8926-5dc59c65Yes, yes, yes. Managed to figure out what was going wrong with my soldering ( plan a actually worked, granted after trying plans, b, c and d and failing at them, plan e might have worked too ( top left corner)) Onwards and upwards ( I have to solder on the cross braces) 

• Like 4

cf9049ca-a346-4559-a170-315c33eba53a.jpeAnd I found these while searching for my solder a pair of engines. Ones plastic ones plaster, some filler. As soon paint and you won’t know the difference. I think they’re Mercedes but shouldn’t take too much fiddling to make them look like maybachs. Time to pull out my Janes aircraft 1918 book, it has all the aero engines of the period in it. 

resized_65bcc513-6b67-49d8-858e-edab8916

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4