Oertz W6 the Flying schooner - doesn’t get much odder than this

Marklo

resized_fb6fd7f1-36d7-4687-ad80-c7a0c20dThe front lower wings sanded, right liked and skinned. As I’m short in 20 thou sheet I ended up using multiple pieces and then of course found another sheet, well at least I have enough for the upper wings with more in the post.

Just need to trim the cord width and shape the ends. The plan ( yes there is a plan, sort of :) ) is to add the four lower wing sections and then start on the struts and rigging, might even get all the wings on this week, might not but I still should get a good bit of the build completed by the weekend.

• Like 6

resized_cf6a74f8-6e30-45c4-a5fc-4f526600Working on the upper wings. The lower wings are drooping a bit so I’m going to put a 1mm brass rod into the leading edges of the upper wings to give the whole assembly some structural rigidity.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

glad you can keep track of it all.

More or less; but this is my third Quadruplane :) at least this one has only two wing sections per set. The Supermarine had four giving a total of sixteen wing sections and making descriptions extremely long winded :)  

Next up the tedious task of making four wing skins in 20 thou card. Still my order arrived on Thursday so I have plenty of stock for the build ( thank you Folly models) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

cea328fa-c52d-42df-814d-446b157e1407.jpeFinished trimming the upper wing and scribing the ailerons.

resized_ff20f016-cd7d-4a77-b8c3-537a5709Made a drilling template for the struts and rigging holes. 

I've also corrected the wing lengths. The lower wings were a tad long and have been trimmed, unfortunately the upper rear was a bit short so I’ve had to splice in new tips. The upper front ( thankfully) was spot on. I’ve also corrected a slight assymetery in the tail boom.

At this stage I’m actually prepared to say we’re in the home stretch a good 80% or more complete, yay.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

72a8bf98-a0d3-4f06-b274-b6976a2a1a27.jpeGot one of these in Aldi yesterday only €3.99 I used to have one years ago. A very useful tool.

293afe59-d768-47db-a173-de40f929656f.jpeI made a jig for the centre section struts.   I shall be fitting the top wings soon the last really hairy bit of the build :) 

• Like 5

resized_1ddefc34-5ac6-4810-a5f5-ac6405aaGood grief this thing might actually work. Four struts and a lot of holes added to the front lower wing. Next step drill the upper front wing and attempt to attach it to the main assembly, I’m vaguely scared :) .

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’m vaguely scared

I don't blame you! It is coming along very well, and you have given plenty of great ideas.

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

When you attach the top wing to the inner struts, add the outer pairs at the same time. That will give you a much more rigid structure and allow you to add the remainder later without too many problems. Alternatively leave the jig in place until all struts are in place. This is based on my experience of scratch building multi - bay biplanes.

P

23e5215e-bb0d-4ea3-9c19-da0ed861e402.jpeThis would be the previous record holder for the most awkward thing I’ve ever built, but strangely the wings weren’t that difficult to assemble.

resized_982a6bea-d771-447e-9e53-4be4f2ffThis believe it or not was probably the trickiest multi wing plane I’ve ever built, owing to its compound struts, which were the wrong length in the kit and it being only my second biplane of my return to modelling. 

One thing I have learned from previous builds is the better my model engineering the easier things go together. Hence the two jigs.

The Oertz is tricky because the struts wave a double angle and as the lower wing has diehedral and the upper is flat the struts differ in length at each location. My plan (ahem) is to drill the upper wing with my template and attach it to the center section struts with the jig still in situ,  I’ve left cutouts in the jig to allow for this, then add in the outer pairs of struts to set the diehedral correctly and work my way inboard with the remaining strut pairs.

I will probably rig as I go as this will also add structure to the assembly although I’ll probably wait till all the struts are in place and set before applying the final tension to the rigging. Should be a fun day…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

resized_e08c11df-7a0d-42e6-9b1c-44b6d1a3Drilling the upper front wing.

resized_6a6ebb52-55a3-4aed-8f44-dd8abfdeStarting to fit the wing.

resized_985b50dd-a9de-4742-8e8b-efc29c65Sitting in the wip shelf and left to dry out. In practice I reckoned I’d be better off working my way out with the strut pairs, so far so good.

• Like 5

9c13e55d-b833-4c95-b6a2-06c3f35933fc.jpeFront upper wing struts complete. The jig came out easier than expected. Needs a little straightening but the rigging will help too. Rear upper wing next.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

resized_6eaf4bc9-756c-4974-93f9-1b4d7c6bSlow but steady progress. Geometry isn’t too bad, rigging will help as it’s still quite flexible. If I were doing it again I’d put brass in the lower wings. Glad I put some in the upper wings.

Working on the interior next. And putting some wheels in the beaching trolley.

• Like 6

I know this is a strange aircraft, but it looks even stranger with the struts at those angles! It is looking very good though, and it is quite an inspiration.

Ray

• Thanks 1

resized_2e5fdf31-238d-4ff5-b8b7-c04880a7Added some wheels to the beaching trolley.

resized_e160090a-d94e-4368-8730-ae099391Started on the rear upper wing. In case you’re wondering at the paintwork I’m trying to figure out which grey to use for the final coat as I don’t want to keep using the primer rattle can as I’ve found it doesn’t stick too well to plastic. So far Tamiya sky grey looks the best, but I need to buy more of it as my jar is almost empty.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

odd on its enhanced beaching trolley.

As if that's the only time it looks odd! There's a complete oddball line-up at the moment with this nudging beside the Felixstowe and Zorm's Flying boat; not a place for the easily intimidated this GB!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

not a place for the easily intimidated this GB!

Put it this way I’m finding that even  I need to get into the right frame of mind to approach it :) .

But I reckon it’s only a couple more hours off finished. Let’s see:-

1. fit the upper rear wing and struts

2. finish the interior

3. fit the engine assembly 

4. Decide if I’m going to build the initial or final configuration ( supplementary ailerons and wing tip floats were added) and possibly make and fit the extra parts.

5. rigging and control lines

6. final paintwork

7. decals

Of all the jobs left the wing is the only really difficult one. Hmm so I’d say eight to twelve more hours if bench time, so still on for an end of June dust off.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3