Oertz W6 the Flying schooner - doesn’t get much odder than this

Marklo

The connectors are intended for use with tube - the modeller who introduced me to them swears by them. I have used them once and they are very versatile and I would certainly recommend them to others. For small structures and awkward angles/multiple pieces at one joint they are brilliant.

P

• Thanks 1

resized_376699ae-83f2-4f4f-9ed3-c4256033And in three dimensions, a bit trickier. I’m running low on brass rod so I may finish off the assembly with plastic rod ca’d in place but the main structure should more than do the job as is. 

• Like 4

resized_25160f67-19a0-4825-9e80-b08d827eDry fitting, needed a bit of manipulation but not too bad. Need to finish the rear rigging and paint all the new bits.

resized_df4d015e-5a9d-4496-b1c7-23940c22Guess what I found when tidying up after finishing my soldering …….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, pheonix said:

This is very informative indeed

I’m flattered and looking forward to seeing your build. I reckon it will look quite cute in 1/72, in 1/48 it’s possibly the largest thing I’ve built. 

• Thanks 1

resized_0c3b001e-642e-4203-9be5-9fb49057 Other lower rear wing dry fitted. My plan is to work on the front lower wings next. Add the engines, cockpit detail and the rest of the propellor frame along with the radiators. Then add he two upper wings.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ray S said:

This is getting seriously odd now!

It most definitely is. When it was the components I could say, ah yes a wing, or cockpit, but now it's just gone completely, 'out there'. It truly doesn't get much odder than this!

• Thanks 1

Definitely a plane now ... I think!

Those soldered metal frameworks are a must-have for something so big and complicated, you must be glad to have such a solid foundation.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

you must be glad to have such a solid foundation.

Absolutely but they were very fiddly to make, but are light and strong so handling isn’t an issue.

• Like 1

Certainly taking shape with those rear lower wings. I intend to use brass on my future model for the same reasons - lightness combined with strength.

P

Edited by pheonix
  • Thanks 1

resized_637eb105-b986-419e-85bd-3d39913bPainted the propellor frame, still a few more struts to add. I’m also working away on the front lower wings, however I may have a minor crises brewing as I don’t have enough 20 thou sheet to do the upper wings, I’ll have to order some more off evil bay and/or get creative. Now the last (two) times I ordered plastic sheet I got it from Folley models in the uk and it did arrive pretty quickly so I should be ok in the GB deadlines.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_0913061e-dae3-4c4c-83e0-f8486381I have no idea how the engines were mounted so l reverted to type and went for that engineering stalwart 1” box section :) I’m going to finish the frame with ca’d styrene rod as I’m not brave enough to keep in soldering, also my stock of brass rod is a bit low.

• Like 5

If it is of any help there are drawings of the drive shafts on the SSW Rs 1 which also had external drive shafts form the engines. Looking at you model your representation looks very much like the fittings on the Rs 1. The Rs 1 engines were powered by three engines connected to a common shaft and gear box in the nose of the aeroplane - I can pm you some drawings if you wish and you think that it would help.

P

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, pheonix said:

I can pm you some drawings if you wish and you think that it would help.

Yes thank you, that would be very helpful. The drawings I have are very sketchy and none of the photos are that good either. 

resized_cc072df4-bd05-4cfb-8351-dfd8758aDrive shafts added and a bit more painting. Just needs the propellers, exhausts and pipes to the radiators added( although I’ll fit the latter after the assembly is installed in the hull)

Next up I think I need to make some radiators. Strangely enough these are odd trapezoidal affairs that sit on top of the lower rear wing centre section.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

Now for the good news bad news bit. Good news I think I have enough 20 thou sheet for the upper wings. Bad news I just realised that the prop assembly needs to be rigged, oh well it only have myself to blame, still we’re on the downhill stretch from here.

• Like 1