Oertz W6 the Flying schooner - doesn’t get much odder than this

Marklo

This really is an aeroplane which is right up my street. I have bought the reference book and am searching for plans as I will most certainly have to make one of these in the True Scale.

Watching your progress is important as I am making notes as you go along.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

I have bought the reference book and am searching for plans as I will most certainly have to make one of these in the True Scale.

It really is a goldmine I will definitely make a Sablatning triplane and there are two or three other designs I’m considering as well.

They have a couple of other interesting books including German WWI night fighters which I’ll probably invest in over time. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 9:45 AM, Marklo said:

Well mr Oertz was a boatbuilder first and even built yachts for the Kaiser. I get the impression that for the W6 he decided to stop trying to make the hull look like an aeroplane.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:21 AM, Marklo said:

Yes, yes, yes. Managed to figure out what was going wrong with my soldering ( plan a actually worked, granted after trying plans, b, c and d and failing at them, plan e might have worked too ( top left corner)) Onwards and upwards ( I have to solder on the cross braces) 

I was beginning to wonder if this was a really nice speed boat or a really funky airplane? But then don't you love it when a plan comes together:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

resized_b5c74385-d5e7-45e5-8c06-cb07bd76Cut out the wing blanks, not very exciting but progress.

Still wrestling with the tail booms, definitely need to work on my soldering skills a bit more but getting there. Pictures when  I have something worth showing :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That’s a lotta wings!

Don’t I know it. I cut out four blanks thinking I was done, but had a nagging feeling, before remembering that I needed eight, d’oh. All I can say is that I’m glad I had my Lidl crafting cutter. Of course now I have to sand them, roll them and make eight sets of linesd skins from twenty thou sheet, oh the joys of scratch building :) 

At least it’s less work than the PB31 which had no less than 16 wing sections ( 20 if you count having to redo the top centre ones twice)

Maybe someday I’ll see sense and stick to monoplanes, maybe.

But I do want to make a Fokker V8 and I have seen some interesting 9 winged planes…..

b3afc6f0-37fb-4b3f-895b-97b400a60796.jpeMaybe too many wings.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Having seen a model of the flying boat in your last post, I have decided that even in 1/72 scale that one has just too many wings for my liking. But it does make an extremely impressive model. Watching the thing break up attempting to take off was quite spectacular too.

P

Edited by pheonix

22 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Watching the thing break up attempting to take off was quite spectacular too.

Yes apparently it got to 60m then promptly crashed.

I did actually find a webpage with a 1/144 scratch build if it. If were to build one I’d probably stick to that or maybe 1/72 ( but it would be about 15 inches at that scale)

On 4/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, Marklo said:

Yes apparently it got to 60m then promptly crashed.

I did actually find a webpage with a 1/144 scratch build if it. If were to build one I’d probably stick to that or maybe 1/72 ( but it would be about 15 inches at that scale)

I'd go for it. Spanwise it's less than the Airfix 0/400 which scales at nigh enough 17 inches. Mind you there can be hidden costs when the big boys are tackled. I have Zeppelin Staakens in the stash, span 23 inches, and a scratch built DFW R1 on the shelf which is also 17 inches. Not forgetting a Roden Felixstowe flying boat. No way these get built and displayed on normal shelves so I had to treat myself to some easy build industrial shelving for the man cave. Best of luck and I'm enjoying the Oertz and having similar thoughts to Phoenix.

Edited by stevehed
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stevehed said:

I have Zeppelin Staakens

Me too a thirty plus year old contrail vac form in 1/72 :) 

I also have an O/400 in wip so hmm maybe. It would be cute in 1/144 but probably  a nightmare to build.

Edited by Marklo

resized_cf250034-58bc-4ec6-9200-6861a577

Haven’t been too well in the last few weeks so only getting back to the bench, but after much fiddling, furtling and fettling ( and possibly a bit of Anglo Saxon) we have a not too bad soldered brass tail boom (yay)

resized_965d3ecc-3a2b-4252-8ad8-19cd9406

And here it is with the horizontal stabiliser dry fitted. Next up the two rudders I think.

• Like 7

Good progress with the tail boom. Soldering is not too difficult provided that some basic procedures are closely followed - especially keeping the joints scrupulously clean. The hull is excellent - very clean and smooth. This is truly beginning to look like a yatch - with wings it will look even better!

P

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Soldering is not too difficult provided that some basic procedures are closely followed

I think it was the fact that while I have plenty of experience of electrical soldering and I am an engineer, I wasn’t getting  the whole idea of heating the parts and letting the solder flow into the joint, I was also struggling with my two soldering tools ( one gas and the other an ancient pifco electric gun) and also not having separate flux paste ( I’m sure I’ll find it tomorrow) 

But while I wouldn’t say I’ve entirely gotten the hang of it I have gotten a more than serviceable result.

I’ll have to dust off the soldering iron for the interplane struts on my Albatros CX but it’s altogether a simpler assembly.

• Like 3

resized_1953c9ab-3f29-4920-8581-6af37bb1

Major progress. Vertical tail planes fabricated and fitted and the tail boom mostly rigged. Dry fitted to the hull.

resized_01afa77f-3780-4731-bf7e-f246e1a7

The assembly after a shot of primer.
Hmm not sure my control horns are correct but at this stage I’m not going messing with them.

More to follow.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_8d8d98a7-67a6-46fd-90e9-6f842100Tail assembly attached. The observant viewer may even note the gnatty black stripes on the hull :) 

resized_73d4cd98-d0a7-4136-b038-79103846

Front struts attached. Massive sigh of relief. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get this much to work. But it’s done and it’s light and robust.

Just the wings, the engine and propeller assemblies and the interior left. These should  all be significantly easier to build them the hull and tail planes.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

Yes the tail unit is a bit complicated but being made from brass rod it should be robust. I have looked at the wing attachment as closely as photos and drawings will allow and think that they will be more difficult, especially the forward lower wing to fuselage. In the True Scale they are going to present a challenge, but I am sure that a solution will be found when I start.

P

Edited by pheonix
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

I have looked at the wing attachment as closely as photos and drawings =will allow and think that they will be more difficult, especially the forward lower wing to fuselage. In the True Scale they are going to present a challenge, but I am sure that a solution will be found when I start.

I’d agree there. I’m going to rest the rear wing assembly on the upper tail boom, if I were doing it again I think I’d solder pins either side of the booms to accept the wings. On the lower forward wings I’ve deliberately made the cockpit framing chunky and I think I’ll get away with brass pins to mount the lower wings and I’m hoping the rigging structure will support the rest. In 1/72 the whole structure would be extremely challenging. I’d probably stick with brass but go .7mm or.5mm maybe. The one thing I’ve noticed is that once rigged the tail assembly is surprisingly sturdy ( it’s been dropped more than once :) )

I have some 1mm carbon fibre rod on order which may get used along the way it’s light and strong and can be glued with liquid polystyrene cement, it’s most likely to get used for the propellor mounts.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

resized_bd73ec6a-d229-413d-9d22-f8a1f3f3I know I said I wasn’t going to redo the control horns but they were annoying me so I decided to redo the control horns.

f27aa635-0fdb-4676-9c7b-bc6b61d4c17d.jpeThis the rear lower centre wing section ready for fitting.

resized_aa6dba11-a8b8-4a01-91ea-3cbb5780And here it is fitted; sitting in the wip shelf whilst the glue dries.

0153f370-9b17-4fd9-8fb4-674cfecb8f69.jpeStarted on the frame for the propellers. I have no idea why but it soldered first time with no hassle, maybe I’m getting the hang of it?

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Marklo said:

resized_bd73ec6a-d229-413d-9d22-f8a1f3f3I know I said I wasn’t going to redo the control horns but they were annoying me so I decided to redo the control horns.

f27aa635-0fdb-4676-9c7b-bc6b61d4c17d.jpeThis the rear lower centre wing section ready for fitting.

resized_aa6dba11-a8b8-4a01-91ea-3cbb5780And here it is fitted; sitting in the wip shelf whilst the glue dries.

0153f370-9b17-4fd9-8fb4-674cfecb8f69.jpeStarted on the frame for the propellers. I have no idea why but it soldered first time with no hassle, maybe I’m getting the hang of it?

By George , I do believe He's got it Excellent job so far! Especially with the tail rigging. Can't wait for further developments

• Thanks 1

This gets better and better! That soldering looks really good! I really must improve mine - I have a stalled ship build because the masts need soldering, but the parts are so small I am having trouble figuring out how to secure them to get the soldered!

All the best, Ray

• Thanks 1