Oertz W6 the Flying schooner - doesn’t get much odder than this

Marklo

resized_c290568c-7f98-4a59-bcda-04442423This was one of my Christmas presents and it’s a treasure trove of odd WWI designs including scale plans. I wanted it for details of the Sablatnig planes but there are several others that I intend to build starting with the Oertz.

65b5a8cf-c59f-4153-985d-552bb78c67d7.jpeHaving just finished one Quad, I thought why not do another.

resized_2055c11e-bfe4-40e5-ac06-9d397891So this is my intended victim the Oertz W6 aka the flying schooner.

resized_598daa99-5960-4367-9e26-36371e78I know the GB doesn’t start till the 20th but I thought I’d crack ahead as I have a lot to do and I’ll make sure I don’t break the 25% rule. First off make the hull. Plans copied 20 times and former transferred to plastic and cut out. The next step is to Mitch them and assemble them.

• Like 21

This will be very interesting! It was certainly and great time for the weird and the wonderful designs. You will have your work cut out for this one, but I am looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers, Ray

• Thanks 1

Please don't get hung up on the 20% rule. Come the day when this is available as an Airfix kit (start that thread in The Rumourmonger), the 20% wouldn't even start until all the parts were ready to put together, and you're a long way from that yet.

Good luck with the cutting out; hope you don't find you've doubled up on a number somewhere along the line

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Fair enough :) 

resized_321981e4-7781-4c00-8089-5542bbd5I see a lot of wood in my immediate future oh and lots or isopon too.

That's a shame, I see you have found the sad remains of a long deceased Oertz W6, only the skeleton remains RIP :crying:

Good luck with this one, I dont envy you all that blooming rigging, but it's going to look amazing.  :thumbsup:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

What keeps going through my head is the episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to build a swimming pool but makes a barn first.

‘Is it a plane yet?’ To which an Amish gentleman replies ‘ no but tis a fine boat English’

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I’m going to use a new technique for me on the hull , following on from @AdrianMF s excellent empire hull thread I shall be in filling with thin balsa and then filling with car body filler. I’m still not sure whether I’ll take a mold from the buck or core it out and use it.

• Like 1

resized_9a8caeb7-1c5f-40f9-ad98-c4be15dbFirst coat of P38 got really hot while setting, was set in half an hour and sends really easily. Should be ready for the top coat this evening. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Good start.

P38 is a new one for me, I had to use google and search for that - light weight two part polyester body filler.

Sounds a lot like what I use called Bondo.  I think Bondo is a fairly common product even overseas. There are several different types within their product line, a light weight polyester filler like your P38, a not so light weight polyester filler and a solvent based spot putty.

I like the beige color of the P38. Bondo is a pinkish red which provides a nice contrast but is not always so easy to paint over being a red color. 

However, the basic filler is beige in color and it is the red cream hardener which adds the color, I am assuming the cream hardener for P38 is a beige color. I have some blue cream hardener which I use and I find a bit more to my liking.

There is a fellow by the name of Eric Strebel who posts on Youtube who is an industrial model maker and teacher. Many of his videos are quite interesting with many transferable ideas and skills to model building:

https://www.youtube.com/c/EricStrebel/videos

Including these two specifically about using Bondo:

and

I am looking forward to the continuing development of your flying schooner.

cheers, Graham 

• Thanks 2

fba1b592-d15f-476c-a473-4d2e31935faf.jpeFirst round of sanding, I have to admit I resorted to my electric detail sander and it still took ages.

resized_08537665-d49a-4a47-955f-35fd1719Round two of filler. Filling in any voids in the undersurface and roughly filling the top. After sanding I’ll then give it one more coat of filler for the upper deck.

Interesting videos. It does look like the same material. The putty is buff coloured and the hardener is a deep red colour, as you can see the end result is a beige not unlike the RAF hemp colour.

All told its a much easier ( and cheaper) filler for large scale project than milliput, the only downside is the very strong smell ( garage use only) and I’m suspicious of the dust (wearing a  mask just in case)

• Like 3

Eeeeekkkkk!!!

gosh now this is real modelling!! There's a lot of work to get the skeleton stage and I do like the idea of using car filler, nice and cheap and it should give you a nice surface to work on once it's cleaned up.

• Thanks 1

resized_c4e82dad-c4b0-4eff-a16d-3d38521cAnother round of filling and sanding. Still quite a few minor blemishes and a crack at the nose. Will need at least one more round of filling and then I’m going to have to figure out how to take a mold from the thing.!!!

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Hopefully going molding today. Now I have a minor crisis I’ve almost run out of plastic sheet. I think I have just enough for the hull.

Ive ordered more but post can be pretty erratic these days. I can at least get the hull and the tail and booms done while I wait for material for the wings. 

Alternatively if the post takes a while I’ll just dust off some other projects. My Swallow might get added to this GB and I may be able to scavenge enough plastic to keep the Alcock going.

On the molding front I’m going to make a plunge mold of the upper deck then cut the buck transversely and take a mold from the underside of each, still haven’t decided wether I’ll use the vacuum box or just plunge mold them. That should give me a three piece hull.  

Lastly I may try the soda bottle d as me heat gun method I’ve seen on the internet.

More to follow.

• Like 2

resized_1bf52b9b-2549-4bd8-a4b1-b7cbe692

Tried the soda bottle method didn’t go well. So back to tried and tested. First off a plunge mold of the upper deck, why petg? Because I’m short on card. Ironically I got a perfectly clear mold.

9bbd7799-32ed-4d81-895b-f66e5ca8cfbd.jpeNext step cut the buck in two ( aieeeee, no going back now)

9df824f0-06e4-46c0-ac7d-734301781837.jpeFire up the new vacuum box, worked a treat. Rinse and repeat for the rear hull.

resized_0887dffb-76cd-4d62-8524-c73c1fc4And we have a set of hull mouldings. I ended up using .5mm card so the molding are very thin I’ll probably reinforce them with a thin layer of milliput before making u the hull.

However, all things bring equal that’s the most difficult part of the build done. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

resized_6a0d8a80-1fe4-4e2b-8580-4d95ac4dA little more progress. Taped and marked out the upper hull for cutouts. Once I double check my dimensions I’ll dremel out the two openings. Then it’s time for some internal detail then I can join the halves and fill all the gaps and blemishes ( of which there are many) 

• Like 3