KV-1E 1/48

GRK

Hi all

Just a few pics from my latest build- the 1/48 HobbyBoss KV-1E

I love the look of the KV-1 but like it even more with the bolted on armour, a real beast! 

A simple build with some nice details and a few bits of PE and even a metal wire tow cable and for about half the price of the Tamiya kit, so what's not to like? OoB apart from the tarp and painted with MRP 4BO and pretty much a straight copy of the techniques shown by Nightshift's build on youtube, I make no apologies! :) This is the first 1/48th armour I've built and this is the way I'm going- my first 3 were all 1/35th but I realised pretty quickly that if I wanted to do any late war tanks then the bases have to be pretty big. By going 1/48 I can have bigger scenes which is probably the main reason I build armour. 

I've nearly finished the small diorama to go with this which I'll post once I've tackled the figures- I struggled in 1/35th so what 1/48 figures are going to be like only time will tell. No spoilers on this post but I'm made up with the base so far, loads of new things tried and I can't stop looking at it. Hopefully finished in the next week or so if I can stop tinkering with bits. 

IMG_0031-2

IMG_0032-2

IMG_0033-2

IMG_0034-2

IMG_0035-2

IMG_0036-2

IMG_0037-2

IMG_0038-2

IMG_0039-2

IMG_0040-2

IMG_0041-2

2a

Added the picture of the final base, more pictures in the diorama section here under 'The arrival of General Winter'

And that's all, hope you like. Any tips for future builds much appreciated.  

Edited by GRK
added more pictures
  • Like 23

5 hours ago, Ernst said:

thanks Ernst, yes was pleased with the chipping. Doing the lighter colour first makes a nice effect. Just waiting for some paints to arrive for the figures and then let battle commence!

• Like 1

"Ehkranami" is a sore in my native Russian speaking eye, thanks to our Chinese friends from HobbyBoss, who put this on the box without thinking what does "s ekranami" mean.

This is not a proper name, it supposed to mean "with additional armour plates". Indeed, these "erkans" are well represented on the turret and sides of your machine

I think this is where they have taken this word (along with photos and drawings) from:

http://www.kv1ehkranami.narod.ru/kv1ehk_foto.html

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reforgermodeller said:

fantastic job on chipping. that´s really beautiful

cheers

Uwe

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've weathered that perfectly. It deserves to go on a base.

John.

4 hours ago, Pin said:

"Ehkranami" is a sore in my native Russian speaking eye, thanks to our Chinese friends from HobbyBoss, who put this on the box without thinking what does "s ekranami" mean.

This is not a proper name, it supposed to mean "with additional armour plates". Indeed, these "erkans" are well represented on the turret and sides of your machine

I think this is where they have taken this word (along with photos and drawings) from:

http://www.kv1ehkranami.narod.ru/kv1ehk_foto.html

Thanks all. I'll put the finished scene in the diorama section when done- still waiting for the paints for the figures which are being held up somewhere :( 

Thanks for the language correction Pin, its an odd one as there are plenty of references to Ehkranami so I guess its a case of everyone copying a mistake?! I'll change the heading to KV-1E to ease those sore Russian eyes :) .

• GRK changed the title to KV-1E 1/48
4 hours ago, APA said:

Very nice rendition of my favourite soviet tank. Your mud is excellent 👍

Andrew 

Thanks Andrew! The muds just soil and pva mixed with a little of the paint i used for the base groundwork. I think i probably could have kept the centre of the tracks and wheels a bit cleaner where the movement/contact would self clean slightly but hey ho! 

• Like 1