Rifle slings

jeff72

Looking to make some rifle slings in 1/35 scale for my WW1 figures,I thought strips of Evergreen plastic would be a good idea but not sure of the size needed,

I have found 0.25 x 0.5mm but unsure of the right size.

I would go with photo etch slings but it may be too brittle using CA glue.

Any ideas of what dimensions needed?

Thanks

Use some metal foil rather than plastic, I use the the tops from Nescafé coffee that comes in a can with the orange lid. Much better than plastic and easier to manipulate into the right shape.

Size of the sling depends on the Rifle you are fitting it too, they are adjustable so don’t get to hung up over the length, width - again they normally are not wider than the stock. 

• Thanks 1

Metal foil off wine bottle corks works well, as does masking tape, for almost any kind of slings, straps, reins, etcetera. 

Edited by Cadman

If it can help, these are the width of some slings I have, none is WW1 but may give you a rough idea of the width of these things:

L85 3-point sling: 25 mm

M1 Garand, postwar fabric type: 32 mm

G3, Bundeswehr 2-point leather type: 22 mm

Kar98K, leather WW2: 23 mm

As you're working in 1/35 scale, this would mean with a 0.75 to 0.9 mm wide strip you'll have something pretty close to the real thing in scale

No point in measuring length as since they are adjustable the length in can vary depending on the configuration of the moment. More important is to study where and how the sling is attached to the rifle, that can easily be understood checking a few pictures on the web

Regarding the material, I agree with the suggestions of metal foil, it's a very good material for this kind of things as can be bent into the desired shape easily and will retain it. It is also easy to cut strips of the desired length and width

19 hours ago, junglierating said:

Gotta ask why have you got an L85 (SA80) sling Giorgio....seems an odd thing to have knocking about in your Italian 🇮🇹 shed/ box of curiosity 😀🤔😄

And that's not the oddest thing I have in my "collection"....😆😆

Let's say that in the past I was quite involved in this kind of things, particularly in the years after my service. Today I'm a bit less so but I still get back to my old interests once in a while...

• Like 1