Roman Catapult

The first of what I hope will be a few entries.

Verlinden Productions Roman Catapult in 120mm scale.

spacer.png

No instructions, just the box art to work off, but looks a relatively simple kit to build. However the paint finish will be a challenge.

• Like 11

Made a start on Saturday, spent a hour removing casting blocks and tidying up the pieces. Then dry-fitted everything, looks life it will be a very simple/quick build. Seen here with a 1/35 M10 tank destroyer to give an idea of size.

spacer.png

The way the pieces have been cast, means that one side is devoid of any surface detail. Not an issue for the main frame but visible on the uprights/crossbar.

spacer.png

Used a scribing tool to add some surface detail. Reasonably pleased how it came out.

spacer.png 

Final action for the weekend was to break out the CA glue.

spacer.png

With that most of the construction is complete. Ready for paint.

• Like 4

Love it! I built several of the wooden Catapult and trebuchet kits you could get from Hawkins Bizarre a while back which were great fun and I even built a very powerful Trebuchet from Meccano which could throw a 50g ball of clay about 50 feet

DSCF2969.JPG

• Like 5

@Kallisti Nice trebuchet. Making me nostalgic for Mecano, no idea were mine ended up.

Made a start on the painting. Not really sure on the best way to tackle this. Gave it a coat of Halford's grey plastic primer, then started dry bushing a selection of lighter colours to produce a weather grey wood effect. Still a bit to do.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Makes sense to me too - the Romans were prone to travelling fast and light, and then building things when they arrived, be it camps, fortifications or whatever - they were rather good at that!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been thinking about 'new wood' v 'old wood' finishes.

Following a bit of googling to look at how to represent new wood. I made a decision to continue with the old wood finish, simple reason I was liking the way it looked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Added some metal work for attaching ropes etc from lead wire, these where missing from the kit, but the location holes were preformed in the resin pieces.

spacer.png

With that I am calling this finished.

• Like 3

Congrats! :clap2:

If not the oldest, certainly one of the oldest subjects ever presented! It will look excellent in the display cabinet, especially sitting next to an MBT!