The Other Tim’s 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR1 - XZ358 'W' - 'Diplomatic Service' - JAGDET Bahrain, Operation GRANBY 1991

I’m a late starter now I’m finishing the Interceptor GB.

I’ve got the Airfix 1/48 Frontline Fighters set with a F3 Tonka (does not look great and I just built the Italeri) and a Jaguar GR3.

Not sure if I need to ‘dial back’ anything to make it a GR1?

I need to decide on a subject and get some kits works decals.

also need to get a couple of CBU-87s as it seems only 8 of  the BL755 in the kit were dropped early on in the campaign ...

I don’t have any uk 1000lb bombs or CRV7s...

grabbed a bad pilot out of the Buccaneer kit which will have to do ... 

hqrBaGC.jpg

KDILGxf.jpg

Got started on the pit - the kits fairly basic but I can see I’m gonna need to use filler and sanding sticks 🤣

I may paint the ALQ 101 ECM pod RAF Dark Green just to add a bit of variety ...

seems ‘Diplomatic Service’ had both the green ecm pod and also dropped 4 x CBU87s over 2 sorties ...

HDvFCUe.png

tFSCTZl.jpg

rR4K60Y.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

A good project and a nice start on the cockpit. Remember Tim that the photo that is above was taken after the aircraft had returned from the Gulf as it has a 2 letter code and is carrying (I think) a Vinten camera pod on the centre line pylon. All equipment in theatre was painted Pink.

Some more photos here:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/gb/jaguar.html

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jabba said:

A good project and a nice start on the cockpit. Remember Tim that the photo that is above was taken after the aircraft had returned from the Gulf as it has a 2 letter code and is carrying (I think) a Vinten camera pod on the centre line pylon. All equipment in theatre was painted Pink.

Cheers Jabba- will defo check any references - the site you sent is handy and I got the pic via there - I’m sure I’ve seen the odd fuel tank and pods on Tonkas and Jags in DG and F3 Camo grey whilst in theatre but I agree vast majority was the desert pink ... 

13 minutes ago, Jabba said:

this pic with no tail code and pink ECM pod !

diplomatic_service_7.jpg

The tail code for this aircraft is "W"  which seems to be written in black pen and is small but can be seen at the trailing edge of the fin about halfway up the hinge line of the rudder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

The tail code for this aircraft is "W"  which seems to be written in black pen and is small but can be seen at the trailing edge of the fin about halfway up the hinge line of the rudder.

Thanks - I’ve been scanning the pics struggling to find it - looked like something else but as you say looks like a sharpie job 🤣!

Edited by Tim Moff

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more work on the Jag.

my plan is to do all the bits like air brakes, guns and undercarriage doors before doing the main fuse ....

So I started, as with most models designed to be wheels down ‘everything hanging out’...

s2SwvkZ.jpg

LKd5Xyi.jpg

raJaeAK.jpg

hEnQKs2.jpg

My question is the about the air brakes - do the actual ones sit flush in their housing when retracted - or sit on top

as these ones do on the kit?!

the pics I’ve found seem to show that they don’t fully sit flush ?

im happy filling the undercarriage door gaps etc - but I don’t think I should trim back the aft part of the air brakes that ‘overhang’ the actuator area ?

is it a matter of just gluing it in and accepting the gap ?

9I15VIh.jpg

61opKUi.jpg

V1fyX19.jpgIt does seem the air brake dosnt sit flush in these pics ?

And some Granby pics..

e1jTfts.jpg

8N2jEsR.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Tim

nice to see a Jag getting some attention.

First off the cockpit is all over black, ISTR they mistakenly refer to it in the instructions as being grey but be assured it's as black as a coal hole.

The Airbrakes should sit flush with the fuselage sides as they fit into a recess in the Engine doors. There is a tolerance when setting up the closed stops on the airbrakes but it wouldn't be much (The AP is buried in the loft)

cheers

John

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Tim

First off the cockpit is all over black, ISTR they mistakenly refer to it in the instructions as being grey but be assured it's as black as a coal hole.

The Airbrakes should sit flush with the fuselage sides as they fit into a recess in the Engine doors. There is a tolerance when setting up the closed stops on the airbrakes but it wouldn't be much (The AP is buried in the loft)

cheers

John

Thanks John

Yes I rectified the the cockpit issue last night when i checked a few references and it became obvious that the instructions are incorrect !

9AQ2JgQ.jpg

they look to sit a bit ‘proud’ of the fuselage - you mention a ‘tolerance’ - is that what you mean ?

would there ever be an occasion when the Jag is flying wheels up but may deploy the air brakes ? I’d only ever seen them deployed when wheels down on approach or on the ground?

if so I can model them open in flight ?

if not in need to trim them back to fit in the recess ?

thanks in advance ?

1 hour ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Tim

cheers

John

IW8uoUA.png

like this - is this an actual thing with air brakes in on a bombing run?!

G'day Tim,

I imagine there are lots of times that air brakes would be deployed in flight. Also, they are not an all or nothing affair and they can be partially deployed i.e. to reduce speed slightly when approaching during air to air refuelling,

cheers

Pappy

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

The person to ask would be Freitag on here as he was a Jag driver, I was a spanner monkey LOL

Cant seem to tag him....will keep researching!

On 3/23/2021 at 9:15 PM, Tim Moff said:

like this - is this an actual thing with air brakes in on a bombing run?!

it is all about time on target.... so why not?

still mabye a bit unreaistic... especiall ythe load out ...

• Haha 1

I just sucked it up and got the scalpel out for some minor plastic surgery....

Q2XSP05.jpg

pL5NjJt.jpg

got some other bits like the tanks built up 

T2oImVG.jpg

filler and sanding sticks the last couple of sessions ...

pL5NjJt.jpg

very basic office paint job !

ODG85Jv.jpg

6zYftgv.jpg

yj4GioO.jpg

Cut out some card to blank off the intakes 

KMySEbL.jpg

can certainly tell the age of the kit - lots of flash (thought I’d sorted kit but keep finding bits!), areas and panel lines that don’t line up, largish gaps when dry fitting, little or no detail in some areas like the exhausts .... end of the day I will just build it and see what the end result is paint job wise.

b4jZOEg.jpg

EnoDV88.jpg

had to pretty much put some filler over every join and sand back - good training I spose as I’m crap at seams and filling and some other basic modelling skilz 🤣....

FdxyTgw.jpg

having reviewed Dave’s build I’ve shamelessly nicked some of ideas that help the build...

BZT5I1x.jpg

next will be the wing fuse ....with more filling ...

I might fire up the air brush today to just look at the seams and sanding to ensure it does not look too stupid and also get the heat shields spray along with the exhausts before I get them in and finish up in that area .... I can then mask Em off before I finish off the build...

My desert pink Mr Paint arrived alongside some other paints ready for the upcoming F-16 and F-14 builds so I’m ready to roll....

Given that the few references show that the ‘Diplomatic Service’ airframe got fairly worn towards the end of the war with some peeling/chipping of the paint I’m going to attempt a bit of that, along with the fuel tanks etc. The jets were DG/DSG Camo Wrap so will check the scheme to see if it’s the green or grey I need underneath in the areas affected .

I do have a pitot and AOA coming and also some Eduard CBU-87s to razor saw and build up as well. Decals wise I’m sorted with some help from @sailorboy61 but going to have to use the kit original stencils for the Danger Arrows etc - though most other stencils were painted over...

Any one have any advice as to what sort of colours I should use over the black base to give me some good tonal variation before the DG/DSG goes on in the areas needed..? I usually marble the areas in slightly lighter colours etc... maybe some lightened desert pink and any other browns I have ? The normal RAF greys are a bit easier 🤣

I plan to try to ‘chip’ the desert paint back - I have never done this and it’s supposed  to be quite hard with lacquer paint - again using Dave’s methods and a bit of YouTube research I plan the following :

Black base primer 

Dark Green/and/or/Dark Grey in areas to chip 

clear gloss on top of the DG/DSG areas  

lighter colours marbled all over rest of model

medium hold hairspray over the areas for chipping 

Desert pink over the top

give it 1hr of drying abs then use old toothbrush to try to wear the areas back ...

any detail painting 

gloss cote to lock in (may not do as Mr Paint drys well enough to not need it)

decals 

gloss cote to lock in

dulcote finish ...

is this about right ?

• Like 2

G'day Tim,

Great progress to date. One thing I noticed in your pics strikes me as odd.

The outermost underwing aileron actuator fairing on each wing looks to be at a strange angle? The other fairings are all parlell to the a/c centreline but the outermost one angles inwards. Is this a detail of the real thing that I have missed?

cheers,

Pappy

• Haha 1

Nice progress Tim. One thing the extra air intakes on the side of the intakes should also be flush when the aircraft is in flight. I think that they are only open on take off (some one will correct me here) and they are held shut by a hefty spring (or so I have been told by an ex worker).

6 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Tim,

Great progress to date. One thing I noticed in your pics strikes me as odd.

The outermost underwing aileron actuator fairing on each wing looks to be at a strange angle? The other fairings are all parlell to the a/c centreline but the outermost one angles inwards. Is this a detail of the real thing that I have missed?

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy

yes - they are molded on so nothing I’ve done ! I will check my other kit out of interest.

The exhausts have no detail and are smooth as well .... I’m sure it will look like a Jag - was I looking at your KH boxing earlier? Looks like a lot more detail in that kit? Did you say it’s on hold ?

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Nice progress Tim. One thing the extra air intakes on the side of the intakes should also be flush when the aircraft is in flight. I think that they are only open on take off (some one will correct me here) and they are held shut by a hefty spring (or so I have been told by an ex worker).

cheers Jabba - good point - suppose the best way is to get some squadron proper filler in there ? Then level it off ? 

got the wing assembly on - fit was so-so so out came the filler again ...

fmVDOYZ.jpg

KYGaBm6.jpg

tail bits on.

CBU-87s - will get them off the blocks abs built up 

vFoJQYA.jpg

some other bits to prime 

NHTahZ3.jpg

now come the questions ...

I will put on the chaff units 79/80 

however do the lumps and ae’s parts 27 and 49 belong on the GR1?

not sure I saw them on @DaveJL s build ?

sfNFJK6.jpg

k5qxY4I.jpg

• Like 2

G'day Tim,

The aux intakes open when the low pressure inside the intakes is greater than the pressure of the air flowing outside the intakes, overcoming the spring pressure and opening the aux doors. As forward speed increases, the intake pressure increases and overcomes the spring pressure and the doors close, so that on the ground with the engines running the doors are open but also can open during flight e.g. on the take-off run

Most people use sections of plastic card to fill the door recesses and sand flush but whatever means you use  is up to you.

Yup, I halted my build. The KH kit is more detailed but it is also a lot more complex to build and can be problematic if you don't want all the kit featured detail on display as  closing the various panels can result in fit problems. Also, KH got lazy and just included ADA stores suspension equipment and most of the weapons instead of RAF specific stuff, essentially they supplied the sprues from their French boxing. The Airfix dual bomb carrier in the Airfix kit comes with a pylon moulded on to it. Somehow, Airfix made this pylon smaller  (vertically) than the outboard pylons. All pylons should be the same. Luckily, Airfix provide a pair of single pylons in their kit, I would suggest cutting away the undersized  pylons and substituting with the correctly sized ones instead

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - I think there’s a reason for the nick name *hiitty Hawk! Shame though as it looked nice ....

ive just prepped the dual carrier - so I should remove the carrier from the pylon and use the pylons provided for underwing fuel tanks ?

Good idea ref the Plasti card or scraps to fill the intakes - thanks for the explanation ...

This book dropped into the letter box today - really good for references 

bWl0yWr.jpg

Thanks @DaveJL - will stick Em all ok !

Yup. If you are not using the tanks inboard, use the pylons withe dual bomb carrier.

If you don't use the tanks can I have one of them?

cheers,

Pappy

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

Yup. If you are not using the tanks inboard, use the pylons withe dual bomb carrier.

If you don't use the tanks can I have one of them?

cheers,

Pappy

Yes sure - I’m looking at pics and they do look like different sizes but it’s no doubt an optical illusion .... sounds like you know your Jaguar stuff!

im planning a centreline tank with twin CBU-87 Inner pylons and ALQ/Phimat outer pylons ....

ive built up the spare tank - but I do have a second kit in the stash and I’m happy to send you the parts for one tank still on the spruce.... if you message me with your details and I will box them up into the post ....

2 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Yes sure - I’m looking at pics and they do look like different sizes but it’s no doubt an optical illusion .... sounds like you know your Jaguar stuff!

im planning a centreline tank with twin CBU-87 Inner pylons and ALQ/Phimat outer pylons ....

ive built up the spare tank - but I do have a second kit in the stash and I’m happy to send you the parts for one tank still on the spruce.... if you message me with your details and I will box them up into the post ....

I asked the question in the Aircraft - Cold War folder and an ex airframe typwe confirmed all the pylons were the same. Thanks forthe offer, PM sent

cheers

Pappy