The Other Tim’s 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR1 - XZ358 'W' - 'Diplomatic Service' - JAGDET Bahrain, Operation GRANBY 1991

9 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Did you get sorted with the false canopy? Not many good photos of the underside about, but spotted one in Gulf Air War Debrief this morning, let me know if its of any use

Rob

Hi Rob,

That would be really helpful..I have masked an area that I feel works but any evidences/references would be really useful!

Thanks for helping.

2 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Hi Rob,

That would be really helpful..I have masked an area that I feel works but any evidences/references would be really useful!

Thanks for helping.

No problem.
I told a porkie though - the photo is in WAPJ Vol 11

PM inbound @Tim Moff

• Thanks 1

Looking good with the paint on. When these were originally painted at Colt they got all sorts of personnel to help clean them down including Air Cadets before the paint was applied.

• Like 1

Not sure if you're aware but the gulf jags sometimes had their centreline tank fins removed to save damage from the ejected 30mm cases. Something a bit different maybe.

Also, check the for sale section, there's finally some Jag ladders available 🙂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Not sure if you're aware but the gulf jags sometimes had their centreline tank fins removed to save damage from the ejected 30mm cases. Something a bit different maybe.

Also, check the for sale section, there's finally some Jag ladders available 🙂

Thanks Rob,

Yes saw that somewhere, the refs for mine show the fins on so probably stay as is - I have built up 2 though so may remove one set...

No ladder required on this one, its airborne!

• Like 1

Decals are on bar the W on the front gear door - mercifully few due to the wartime approach with the paint job!

TBHQYhE.jpg

False canopy done using the ref pics kindly sent by Rob!

s0Z4JcB.jpg

KE7BSys.jpg

y9M0Bh7.jpg

NzxUhDK.jpg

Have painted up the BL755 so will decal with the BBU-97s and AIM-9L's can keep em as spares

RY1cg00.jpg

Ready for decals...

pDlHGn8.jpg

Not my jet as far as I know, but the war load of Centreline tank, Phimat and ALQ plus 2 x CBU-87s - but a great ref pic!

91-31_orig.jpg

With CVR-7

91-08_orig.jpg

Last push now, get the weapons decals on, clear gloss cote then some tamiya panel line wash, maybe a bit of dark dirt at the back end.....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Close to finishing now.

Glossed with some Mr Color and used dark brown Tamiya Panel Line accent - below pic - Stbd wing done, port wing not yet done!

HPmONmA.jpg

Used some Floreys wash to the rear end to dirty up as per the references ... will need to add some to the exhausts when fitted 

4Yd0uE0.jpg

VNDZNzW.jpg

upNJatG.jpg

LtqXCuU.jpg

tfgn0SB.jpg

getting the stores sorted 

5nx9yx1.jpg

LYmtms4.jpg

OG1IrQu.jpg

got the pitots on using CA glue and scratch carved another pitot for the port side that are shown on the references.

4M4c7FP.jpg

used the Mr Color flat cote over the lot...

5a7QFFL.jpg

99rXv4y.jpg

zywoEcE.jpg

CsqePe3.jpg

need to repaint the T antenna - should have waited til the end to glue it on...

next up need to start on final assembly, exhausts, arrester hook, stores, antenna repair and Master pitot tube.

Hope I’ve not overdone the wear and tear - hopefully about right ! 

• Like 6

Masking off, dirtied up the exhausts a bit as per references. Also got some Tamiya XF-64 Red/Brownout and drybrushed a bit around the gun unit metal areas.

Pitots at the front painted.

ECa3C1z.jpg

CBU-87's mounted onto the pylons using the ref pic, ready for the final attachment to the wing.

z7264W6.jpg

3mR1P4a.jpg

ALQ and Phimat on along with the tank, went with the more worn of the pair. Also put some micro white glue into the front wheel door area to simulate the lights...I removed the 'canopy framing' I had masked off for the fake canopy as although the great ref pics I got from @RMP2 (cheers!) showed a a jet with them, everything I have seen from this particular jet indicates no dummy frames...

HpQwkHo.jpg

Arrestor hook next with the bomb pylons, then be ready to repair the T Antenna and get the 'winders' on, then be ready for gallery pics.

• Like 6

So close - antenna repair, paint and gallery pics!

Then need to finish off that Tonka and Hawk !

YHtBDqL.jpg

iY8Y58d.jpg

Vr8JyBP.jpg

O22uLKn.jpg

ezAgMeN.jpg

• Like 4

All done,

Some pics, will post in the gallery...

Iyi04kA.jpg

Pu5YmnD.jpg

eHCpAz9.jpg

OTiyB2q.jpg

gTR6adZ.jpg

JCvV0p8.jpg

QN8hfHy.jpg

Hope its about right, end of tour wear and tear!

Thanks for all the help, advice and references along the way!

• Like 3

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim’s 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR1 - XZ358 'W' - 'Diplomatic Service' - JAGDET Bahrain, Operation GRANBY 1991
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nicely done. I know very well how poor a fit the airbrakes and UC doors are when closed up on the Airfix jobby, well played there too.

ps - I found a photo of one with the tandem rails and the US Rockeye cluster bombs fitted. I didnt think they fitted... more questions!

• Thanks 1