The Other Tim’s 1/48 Airfix Jaguar GR1 - XZ358 'W' - 'Diplomatic Service' - JAGDET Bahrain, Operation GRANBY 1991

So I have spent a couple of hours this morning doing the ‘Pappy’ mod with the intakes - just need to put some filler in the gaps and sand it a bit smooth - will do for government work !

Drilled out the pitot and aoa holes and placed the over wing pylons on.

2yaO0Ql.jpg

J1HhhqX.jpg

B5zSahJ.jpg

Looked at my other kit and it has the same actuator issue as mentioned before ....

oWokZyG.jpg

oh and cut the tank from the sprue for @Pappy

0uLGvhl.jpg

need to finish off the intakes, get some antennas on etc ...will also try to polish up glass with Tamiya polish - if it’s still bad will dip them ... could be a gap between the canopy and bulkhead that will need filling ....

soon be time for paint, just need to plough on ...

• Like 1

Got the pitot drilled out and prepped - will fix once I need to otherwise I will break it off or stab the dog/cat....

qXPuAiY.jpg

Now the whole pylon thing - @Pappy - could you look at the pics?

In my view the inner pylons look the same size as the twin bomb pylons - both horizontally and vertically?

BvvXKlt.jpg

R2YQiki.jpg

qP6iSXa.jpg

Now the Phimat/ALQ pylons are higher by the looks of it?

TkqKTzd.jpg

Do you feel the incorrect item is the Phimat/ALQ pylon? If so, in theory I should remove and use the fuel tank pylons for those? 

Given how basic the model is I am not sure I will bother given where they sit etc - but be useful to clear up in case I get the razor saw to them when I do the CBU-87s...

I have taped up the minor detail on the intake areas and slapped on some filler, will sand back...got the laser cover on and masked and some of the antennas have been mounted, just need to mount the chaff dispensers and lumps around there, duel antennas on top, I then be pretty much ready for paint. Ideally I will get the office all sorted, polish and mask the windshield and canopy, fill any gaps and crack on with primer.

• Like 1

G'day Tim,

I would remove the PHIMAT/ALQ pylons and use the fuel tank pylons instead as then all the pylons are the same size,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Finishing off the build phase - booted back into the garage now spring has arrived .....

got the trusty razor saw out and completed another ‘Pappy’ mod with the pylons - removed the Phimat and ALQ from their moulded pylons and connected them to the inner pylons.

V2ojuJv.jpg

SaULZRR.jpg

Will re - prime and start work in painting them along with the tank. Will use a bit of hairspray to try a bit of subtle chipping - seems the airframe I’m building has a reference pic showing a panel of the ALQ white so will attempt that.

have sanded around the flush intake doors, stick some antennas on - seems HaveQuick single blades were fitted at various points but again the ref pics I’ve got show the twin fit so have stuck with that.

Plan to polish the glass bits today if no joy will dip them in the clear glass stuff I have.

Am thinking to prime in grey then stock some DG and DSG in areas I plan to chip  then maybe stick some black primer around the major areas of wear of the ARTF Desert Pink main colour...

started on the CBUs by taking them off their mounts - right pain trying to get the main unit and fin unit bases ‘flat’ to join them ... I can see filler being needed 🤣

prGwj4u.jpg

Now the decals mission markings only show the number 2 above each CBU sortie indicating only 2 bombs were dropped ... would that be a single from each double rail or when pickled would all 4 units be released ?

I ask as if this is the case it insinuates that only 1 unit would have been carried per double rail? If this was the case, would the bombs been fitted to the front  or rear hardpoint? Current is plan is to mount 4 but is this correct ? @Jabba - any ideas ?

Going to need to paint the ‘false cockpit’ on the nose wheel doors - anyone have any reference pics ?

Thanks all for the help !

1 hour ago, Tim Moff said:

started on the CBUs by taking them off their mounts - right pain trying to get the main unit and fin unit bases ‘flat’ to join them ... I can see filler being needed 🤣

Tiim; I found the same on the two I’ve made up for my F-4; very hard to get flat surfaces. Mine not perfect but the detail is great. 

Chris

• Like 1

G'day Tim,

I cannot say for certain what the load config was for your particular jet but it sounds like it may have been a pair of CBUs with a single CBU mounted directly beneath the pylon. To answer your last question, if carried on a dual rack, the pilot can select the release pattern i.e. one press ('pickle') one bomb, or two per pickle (one frome each side) or all four at once ('salvo') although there would be a very slight (microsecond) delay between each bomb in this case,

I have found the best way to get a flat surface for butt joins  is to use a razor saw in a mitre box. if you don't have a mitre box, use the razor saw to start sawing against the edge of the casting block and lightly score around the casting plug. Don't try and cut through in the first instance. By scoring around the edge you are creating a track for the razor saw to follow. Once released from the casting block you should only have a few high spots to sand down. For this I would use soem wet'n'dry say, 800 grit taped to a flat sirface. I use a bathroom tile that I picked up for nothing from a bathroom shop as it was a sample piece. Use plenty of water to keep the dust down and prevent clogging. Sand in a figure 8 pattern to prevent the surface becoming angled,

cheers

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Tim,

I cannot say for certain what the load config was for your particular jet but it sounds like it may have been a pair of CBUs with a single CBU mounted directly beneath the pylon. To answer your last question, if carried on a dual rack, the pilot can select the release pattern i.e. one press ('pickle') one bomb, or two per pickle (one frome each side) or all four at once ('salvo') although there would be a very slight (microsecond) delay between each bomb in this case,

I have found the best way to get a flat surface for butt joins  is to use a razor saw in a mitre box. if you don't have a mitre box, use the razor saw to start sawing against the edge of the casting block and lightly score around the casting plug. Don't try and cut through in the first instance. By scoring around the edge you are creating a track for the razor saw to follow. Once released from the casting block you should only have a few high spots to sand down. For this I would use soem wet'n'dry say, 800 grit taped to a flat sirface. I use a bathroom tile that I picked up for nothing from a bathroom shop as it was a sample piece. Use plenty of water to keep the dust down and prevent clogging. Sand in a figure 8 pattern to prevent the surface becoming angled,

cheers

Pappy

Thanks - yes in this thread it says 1 per inner pylon....

Looks like the razor saw will come out for an encore and remove the dual rail from the pylon!

25 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Would everyone agree this pair have a pair of CBU-87s direct to inner pylons?

I would say so!

1 per pylon, I assume symmetrical

Yes Tim as others have already said it is x1 CBU per pylon, being mounted directly onto it. The Have Quick aerial (which I take is the one on the air intake behind the cockpit) was fitted to the right hand position of the two aerials that were normally fitted there. Those CBUs do look a pain to build, I have also done something similar with other bomb types. I would have thought that the aftermarket companies would have been able to make these as a complete unit.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shalako said:

So, which nose-art do you plan to apply on the Jag Tim? They had some of the most "interesting" ones!!!

Im doing XZ358 ‘Diplomatic Service’ 

diplomatic_service_1.jpg

typically can’t see the antenna!

diplomatic_service_7.jpg

pictured below is it marked FL post Op Granby probably on Op Provide Comfort - it’s the only pic of it with the T HaveQuick antenna I can find - so I’m tempted to keep my twin VHF antennas as there are pics of jets on Granby still with them and mission markings ... or I may remove the port one and add the T on the port one!

there’s some great pics of 41 Sqn on this link showing jets with twin blade AEs as I mentioned above.

https://www.seekanddestroy.info/gulf-war.html

So can I ask your thoughts @Jabba - should I go for the T Blade antenna likelihood wise ?

diplomatic_service_10.jpg

can see above it does have one post Granby which would mean it either flew out to Granby with one, but was it left in theatre with blades fitted to return to Coltishall as there’s pics post Granby with blades ?

then fitted again for Op Provide Comfort ?

diplomatic_service_4.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff

Got the razor saw out for the CBU87/pylon combination 

2bwWSBJ.jpg

Sized Em up !

Ii6pVea.jpg

decided to prime black in the end - will put some DG and DSG in areas I plan to chip back using the references and a bit of artistic licence....

E4NYKHi.jpg

ZzbhnmM.jpg

WAhn7jp.jpg

i have some US desert paint, with some other browns I may use on top of the primer, but it may be a matter of just building the paint up slowly to give the faded look ... 

or I may just give it a light but full camo wrap for realism before putting the ARTF Desert Pink over the top - I will put put a light gloss over areas to ‘toothbrush’ back just to protect the base colours before the hairspray...defo going to test on the tanks and pods !

• Like 1

Tim if you look at the picture of the aircraft where you cannot see the aerial, the aircraft next to it does have it fitted. I am not saying that your aircraft will have it fitted, but it is more than likely to have as the mod would have been carried out to all the aircraft at one time during this time period so that all the aircraft were to the same standard.

• Like 1

Thanks @Jabba - logic I used as well.

I remember as an FAC getting the Have Quick radios to allow a coalition air net...

Another great reference book

Jz5VbBH.jpg

Decals arrived care of @sailorboy61 - thanks very much 

1iGQVMg.jpg

nLaXWjO.jpg

some reports say the model alliance mission markings are too small scale wise so will use the kits works decal for that ....

will need to use the kit danger arrows and paint on the false canopy ...

Plastic card out and a look at references came up with this ...

Koze6iR.jpg

seems to be ok 

16TAYVG.jpg

some info on the jet 

K7B0cQc.jpg

R8SHDyD.jpg

have masked the canopy and windshield after a Tamiya polish so need to get the seat in, HUD edges and fairing painted etc - seal it up and finish re priming where needed....

just sanding the bombs as well.

get some paint on this week as I’m off !

• Like 1

Some more done today 

Started on the bossy shields

Wzx6hBR.jpg

FUU9yJG.jpg

Aden cannon ports 4S3ii2v.jpg

G06C5FB.jpg

iDB5rdw.jpg

as you can see I couldn’t resist getting the desert pink out to give it a try ...

yth6Dz3.jpg

Got the white on the panel of the ALQ as per the reference 

s7mZNgu.jpg

Engine exhausts abs pitot painted 

Kbf2Xc3.jpg

Windshield and canopy on - took a bit of fettling 

Ayy4DaK.jpg

kNzA4In.jpg

Got some NATO black, DSG and DG on in areas I may try to show wear of the desert pink temp paint using hairspray... I also glossed those areas with some X22

joqqcZ8.jpg

odFQrMd.jpg

N0Apibc.jpg

everyone loves a camo wrap !!

painted up the CBU-87s in the FS34087 Olive Drab - they look quite dark ?

ACOzgwu.jpg

but maybe ok ?

t9oDLds.jpg

• Like 1

Moving on I put some DG On the tanks and brushed on some hairspray.

bIR3rY8.jpg

tried the bombs again using Mr Color but pretty much the same colour !

BjqhsiX.jpg

51MVqoh.jpg

also put the desert pink on the Phimat /ALQ/inner pylons ...

so tomorrow hopefully I will get the desert pink on the tanks, leave it an hour, decal the bombs, then try a bit of tooth pick / tooth brush on some areas to get the worn look through mr paint lacquer paint !

not strictly needed but I will then put a gloss cote on before I get the decals on ...

Bit more done ...

got the paint on

kutNmwu.jpg

6FwhSmL.jpg

tried to put it on in thin layers so there’s still some of the original colours showing through...pics I’ve seen of them leaving Coltishall show them really well painted - clearly the time spent on the exposed conditions so saw the paint wear and fade ...

8coVn5e.jpg

blending in my old desert parachute kit bag !

cIkoqCR.jpg

h0txlIg.jpg

5CLYLRd.jpg

9tD3Dvf.jpg

trying to chip back MR Paint even just an hour after spraying is a challenge ...

used some water, couple of stuff brushes, toothbrush.... had to use some really fine sanding pads to get it started !

maybe the wrong hairspray .... 

started on the tanks and stores 

mDTPFPM.jpg

YOxuaJl.jpg

References show wear forward of the exhausts on both sides, Tail fin and intakes etc ... hopefully not too much ...
YiltKZ3.jpg

CyFcDgh.jpg

wF054VH.jpg

ofJ7qkS.jpg

N6qkO4H.jpg

gdXNXud.jpg

7HyJWG3.jpg

Next up some gloss then decals ...but I do need to do the false canopy on the bottom first !

• Like 2

Lovely work Tim, that is really starting to look like a hard working jet.

I am not surprised the upper paint was hard to chip, lacquers are known for their toughness (even over chipping fluid/hairspray) as they really 'key' into the prior paint surface

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Tim Moff said:

Going to need to paint the ‘false cockpit’ on the nose wheel doors - anyone have any reference pics ?

Did you get sorted with the false canopy? Not many good photos of the underside about, but spotted one in Gulf Air War Debrief this morning, let me know if its of any use

Rob