Unicraft Daimler Benz "Jäger" **Finished**

JOCKNEY

The is a place setter for more pictures etc. to follow.

IMG_5682

Classic Luft 46 subject, legendary Unicraft quality of parts and fit.

I'll post a picture of the parts later on I just need a stiff drink to steady my nerves first 🥃

Good luck everyone.

cheers Pat

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Nice artwork. Cut it out and frame it as your entry; it's card after all 😉

Genius, but let's keep that between ourselves and say  it was a poor camera ok ? :wink:

• Haha 2

Arrr PAT!!!!!  :doh:

You really did have to go down this path didn't you!!! I can tell you from painful experience that there's not sufficient quantities of liquor available that'll make this model any better or easier to build! It's only once you have gone down to the very darkest depths of the resin rabbit hole that you even attempt a Unicraft model........just look with it's done to me!!!  :drunk:

The only positive note it is a later release and they did get better! Plus the owner is a really nice guy, he did some special re-casts for me a few years back of some of his really early stuff...... and did mention the early stuff weren't the best quality.

Great subject though and it really shouldn't be that hard to build (infamous last words, hopefully I didn't put a hoodoo on the build), though looking through the bottom of a bottle may help!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Never built a Unicraft kit...the above banter makes me want to have a go...but then I have always been a bit of a masochist!

Good luck Pat.  Will watch with interest.

be careful of what you wish for!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A new brand to me, never heard of 'em.

Anyone brave enough to release their own models gets my vote though.

If it's a Luft '46 type effort, who's to say it's wrong anyway? Not only that, if the parts can touch each other in the box it means they can also be glued together.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

Thanks @trickyrich @Davek72 @TonyW And @Mjwomack

I think it's time, I unveiled the kit in all its glory

IMG_5692

Its certainly going to be no stranger to sand paper anyway !

This is what passes for instructions

IMG_5693

next the painting guide and a bit about the aircraft itself

IMG_5694

Please note the decals for this aircraft are not provided with the kit.

Finally the decals that are look really poor so, I'll need to source some others

IMG_5695

Still wouldn't be any fun if it was too easy would it !

Cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good grief!

Bailing out couldn't have been fun.

A gallon can of P38 and an acre of wet and dry paper should see you fine.

I still have a load of old FROG transfer sheets Pat. Would you like a selection of German ones?

• Like 1

I've opened a bottle of wine and I'm not even making the model🤪

On a more serious note, what was the rationale behind (in front and middle come to that) of three propellors in a line? Presumably the pilot had a massive drive shaft between his legs (steady)

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks @trickyrich @Davek72 @TonyW And @Mjwomack

I think it's time, I unveiled the kit in all its glory

IMG_5692

Its certainly going to be no stranger to sand paper anyway !

This is what passes for instructions

IMG_5693

next the painting guide and a bit about the aircraft itself

IMG_5694

Please note the decals for this aircraft are not provided with the kit.

Finally the decals that are look really poor so, I'll need to source some others

IMG_5695

Still wouldn't be any fun if it was too easy would it !

Cheers Pat

That is possibly the scariest kit I have ever seen....I take everything back.  Good luck Pat. 

• Haha 2

Lucky for me living in Devon that the prevailing wind comes from the South West so the clouds of resin dust won't come our way .I've built a few resin kits but never one of the Unicraft creations .love Luft46 so looking forward to seeing your build come together

Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

I think that Unicraft is getting a bit of unwarranted negativity about the quality of its products, well I'm here to set the record straight. It would be all too easy to critise the fit of parts on these hard to come by limited edition kits.

Well I'm sorry this is completely unfounded, rather than sticking to those boring Tamigawa shake and paint model kits get a load of this bad boy 

IMG_5705

Dont tell me you are not jealous, well then go out and find your own one...

Alternatively stay here and laugh at my expense, you are very welcome :giggle:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

So time to make a start, the kit comes with an instrument panel however, it is far too small to fit between the 2 halves of the fuselage so, a bit of scrap plastic backing and it's in, along with a homemade control column and the seat

IMG_5714

I know it looks a bit rough but I think it's a fair bet you won't be able to see much later on so I thought best turn my attention to the next challenge.

To avoid it being a huge tail sitter first I had to put a floor in the nose wheel as otherwise there isn't anything to attach the nose wheel too ! Then a bit of recycling to give the nose weight....

IMG_5721

After much adjustment and swearing this is the best I could achieve wrestling the 2 halves together.

Yes I know it looks like I did it in the dark but trust me this is better than I started with !

IMG_5722

IMG_5723

Ok so it's at this point I suggest reaching for something in a glass a little stronger than normal, because the wings to fuselage fit is well...

IMG_5724

I drilled and made some pins not so much to line it up as to have an idea of what the shape should be.

IMG_5725

As you can see, there's a fair bit of wing missing compared to the other side, so I need to bridge the gap

IMG_5726

Much better on this side

IMG_5727

Finally a bit of filler...... and refill your glass before the next session

IMG_5728

Cheers Pat

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Dang, this is one scary beast! Both the prototype pilot-shredder aircraft and the finely molded resin parts!  😱

This is like watching those 11 foot 8 bridge videos...:popcorn: 

• Haha 2

I really shouldn't laugh I've been here many times, Unicraft models are real soul builders.........and alcohol consumers.

You're doing a great job as they are not easy builds and not for the faint hearted.  :thumbsup:

Superglue and accelerator are your best friends with builds like this, though you do need to start sanding as soon as the glue has hardened, leave it a day and it turns to rock. Superglue (CA cement) does give you a nice surface to work with and makes the build process super quite, plus it's ideal for those huge gaps.

Here are some nice crispy critters I had to play with....

DSCF2456-L.jpg

......... needless to say I ended up chopping up some 1/72nd Mosquito props to replace them. They came from this set;

DSCF2390-M.jpg

, the engine pods an spinners weren't round, I ended up rebuilding them and recasting new ones.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Right time for your daily fix of Unicraft 

IMG_5729

As i hope you can see from the picture above the nose of the aircraft and the fuselage must have had a big argument and gone their separate ways revealing a gap in the middle !

IMG_5731

The above is what passes for the front rotor, 

IMG_5730

I made this bit myself, and I shall salvage the centre boss from the kit part.

IMG_5733

Here's my fix for attaching the nose, I've also added the contra rotating props and it looks like I got the nose weight spot on, It doesn't even need the nose wheel to balance !

IMG_5734

More filling and nose wheel needs extending as it's too short, but definitely getting there !

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Just an idea Pat , have you thought about storeing your filler for this kit undergound in an old bulk gas tank to save space :)  . respect for your tenacity  ......no way have i spelt tennacity correctly.

• Haha 4

Cue Tom Lehrer 'The Masochism Tango' to accompany this build.

I have avoided Unicraft kits, partly because they produce little that I am interested in, but also because  of what they do to resin. Are the undercarriage legs resin as well, as they look very stalky to support the weight for any length of time. 

You are a brave man. 

• Like 1