Murray Walker passes

Truro Model Builder

Another loss from my earlier life. I enjoyed his commentary so much and there was always that moment when he had just said something a moment before it all went pear shaped. RIP

• Like 1

I've merged the two topics.  Poor chap, but at least he had a good long life (shame he missed his telegram), and will be remembered.  RIP

The true consummate professional, who loved and lived for his sport. 

He will be another much missed element of my youth, with his enthusiastic and knowledgeable commentary. 

Rest in Peace Sir and enjoy the company of those other much missed commentators, Brian Johnstone (Cricket), Bill Mclaren (Rugby Union) and Peter Alliss (Golf). 

• Like 2

It's a well known fact - but worth remembering - Murray was a Captain & Sherman tank commander in the Royal Scots Greys - British 4th Armoured Brigade.

Rest in Peace :poppy:

• Like 4

I saw him at Silverstone and Castle Coombe a few times. 

Always a character - now re-united with James.  RIP.

But the music - I bought Rumours on the strenght of that rift from The Chain.

I've got his autobiography, so will read that next.

• Like 1

RIP

Part and parcel of British Motor-sport, he knew Car and Bike racing equally well, this is my best memory of him, when Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts diced it out at Silverstone 1979 and his commentary made the race all the more dramatic, he was as genuinely excited as I was watching it on live TV, he is missed already.

Heh Murray said Barry waved at Kenny when he passed him, but it wasn't a wave and he probably knew alright ... you couldn't have that finger sign on BBC back then :)   Awesome.

Classic race well live commentated on by Murray with great enthusiasm.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1