Help! RAF/AVG Seats Color and Type in the P40B?

Tokyo Raider

Hi Guys-

I am starting an 1/48 Airfix P40B for the AVG!  I am aware there were originally destined for the RAF and built to their specs, before Chennault got them for the AVG.  I was using the cockpit color of yellow zinc chromate like the photos Life Magazine took and published in color at the Curtiss Plant.

My question is around the type of seat.  I thought the RAF used the square back seat?  Were these also painted Zinc or were they natural metal like the USAAF Round Back Seats?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Bob

So for the RAF/AVG Tomahawk (not a US P40) I have one color photo at the Curtiss factory showing the square back seat before install sitting on the wing of a Tomahawk .. and the seat is a mid dark green close to the camo dark green.. yes that seems strange but that what it showed.....in my research on the square backseat the same seat seem was use in other aircraft (Harvard's for one) and ive found photos in war bird forums of the same seat pull for restoration..in that same dark green color...not saying you could not have other colors (natural medal) ... but the dark green seem to be legit 

My RAF/AVG Tomahawk cockpit colors choices based on my interpretations of Curtiss factory colors photos is .

Main cockpit Dupont 71-036 "cockpit ligh green"

Seat ..dark green 

Headrest black leather (not the brown on the P40)

Other may have other opinions and evidence (evidence is always good)

Edited by HBBates

Great thanks...  i suspected the RAF square back seat may be a different color than the US round back.

I will paint the square back seat a dark cammo green.  I just downloaded a bunch of photos Life Mag took and was planning mr color c352 yellow zinc chromate for it.  Its got green in it but looks just like the photos.

I have all those life photos and pouring overthem.  The line in back looks like headrest not installed yet.  And if you compare the yellow on that seat bulkhead, it changes to more greenish as the plane gets built further in assembly.

I just painted my kit in the yellow zinc and it just looks too yellow for a cockpit.  It looks like the bulkhead on that back row, before cockpit painted that green.

I may have to box this kit up until i figure this color issue out.

Edited by Tokyo Raider

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I just painted my kit in the yellow zinc and it just looks too yellow for a cockpit.  It looks like the bulkhead on that back row, before cockpit painted that green.

Hi Bob,

Just bear in mind, that the RAF p40B's were Not Lend Lease, but rather

purchased with British Money, so British Paint Specs would have have been the order

of the day.

I think a lot of people (modellers) have taken for a long time that Curtiss  painted the

RAF orders with US Mil Spec paints because of the like of  Life magazine photos have been quoted

I would go with HB's comments on the Light Green for Cockpit area

Whilst not a Curtiss P40B, I have seen a RAF order Curtiss P40E-1, which was Lend Lease, with the DuPont Light

Green Cockpit and Internal fuselage areas, note that other fittings Fuel tank supports

etc were Apple Green (fuel tank) or the Curtiss Interior colour as in this life Magazine Photo

3a5f40d1-28ba-4551-8376-bc43611f6805.jpg

Hope that Helps?

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...

Bob

Sorry about the late reply - Just a small point, you actually need to be aware of which aircraft you are building, as the square back seat wasn't in all Tomahawks......however for AVG that version should be correct however I'd check what photos you can of the aircraft you are modelling to confirm.

Buz

Edited by Buz