Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B 1:72 Airfix (A06022)

Julien

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B

1:72 Airfix (A06022)

spacer.png

The Blackburn Buccaneer was an all-weather naval strike aircraft designed and built by Blackburn Aircraft Limited (later Hawker Siddeley) to fulfil a Royal Navy requirement for an aircraft to counter the threat posed by the Soviet Navy's Sverdlov class of light cruisers. The requirement called for a two-seat aircraft capable of sustained low-level flight at up to 550 knots over a combat radius of up to 800 nautical miles. The resulting aircraft made use of a number of novel features in order to fulfil the mission requirements, including the use of fully blown wings to improve low-altitude performance, area rule fuselage and very robust design and construction in order to ensure survival of the airframe in its tough operating environment. The Buccaneer was able to carry a range of conventional munitions, as well as the 2000lb, 20 kiloton 'Red Beard' nuclear weapon.

The Buccaneer got off to an inauspicious start due to the relatively low power output of its de Havilland Gyron Junior turbojets, a feature exacerbated by the extra power needed for the blown flying surfaces. The S.2, fitted with more powerful and more efficient Rolls Royce Spey turbofans, was far more successful. The Buccaneer served the Royal Navy with distinction until the replacement of the last of the large carriers with the smaller 'through deck cruisers'. The Buccaneer was also offered to the Royal Air Force, but was rejected in favour of the TSR.2 and then the F-111. With the cancellation of both of these programmes, the RAF reluctantly accepted the Buccaneer as an interim measure until the MRCA became available. As it turns out, the Buccaneer served the RAF very well for over two decades and even participated in Operation Desert Storm in 1991 where it ended up lasing for its replacement! and even dropping some bombs itself. Another RAF Veteran who left on a high note. 

The Kit

Notwithstanding the excellent-but-expensive CMR resin kit, fans of the Blackburn Buccaneer had been poorly served by kit manufacturers until Airfix came along with their new tool. Inside the red top-opening box adorned with the usual high-quality artwork, are five frames of grey plastic and a single clear sprue. For this boxing there is a new sprue with the bulged bomb bay which also contains slipper fuel tanks, two Paveway II LGBs, an AIM-9 sidewinder, an AN/ALQ 101 ECM Pod, and an AN/ALQ 23E Pave Spike Pod.  The mouldings are clean and crisp, with fine, recessed panel lines throughout and plenty of nice detail on smaller parts.

buccaneer_02.jpg

buccaneer_03.jpg

The assembly instructions are divided into 85 stages, which gives a good indication of the level of detail that Airfix have crammed into their new model. Assembly begins with the cockpit, the tub of which reflects the correct offset arrangement for the observer's seating position. Speaking of seats, the three-part Martin Baker Mk.6s appear to be a pretty good representation of the real thing, although some photo etched harnesses would be desirable. Crew figures are included if you are so inclined. The tub, instrument panels and side consoles are nicely detailed, although decals, rather than moulded details, are used to represent the controls. The nose gear bay fits onto the underside of the cockpit tub. Once complete, the forward fuselage halves can be joined together, forming a small-sub assembly entirely separate to the rest of the aircraft. The distinctive profile of the nose, which has always looked off on the other injection moulded Buccaneers, looks spot on. The nosecone is not moulded as a separate part, however which means a seam to clean up.

buccaneer_06.jpg

spacer.png

buccaneer_05.jpg

Once the forward part of the fuselage is complete, construction turns to the central part of the airframe. The lower part of the fuselage includes about 80% of the lower wing surface. In order for the pylons and fuels tanks to be attached, holes must be drilled at the appropriate points. The outer wing can also be cut away at this juncture if you wish to build the model with wings folded. The inner structure of this section comprises the main landing gear bay inner walls, front and rear bulkheads and tube structures for the engines. The front and rear faces of the engines are nicely represented and it should be possible to clean up the internal seams on the engine air intakes prior to final assembly. Once all of the internal detail has been fixed in place, the upper half of the fuselage can be cemented to the lower half.

spacer.png

At this point in the build, you really have to decide whether to finish your model with folded or extended wings. If building the former, you can attach the wing fold mechanism and then miss out the next few steps. If finishing your model with wings extended, little spars are included to help you align the separately moulded upper wing surfaces and to give the model strength. Whichever route you take, the last major step involves assembling the rear fuselage and tail. The vertical part of the tail is integral to each half of the rear fuselage, while the horizontal tail is a single, solid part. There are separate parts for the RWR fairings, which is handy. Depending on the decal option chosen there are new airbrake parts on the new sprue with this kit. 

buccaneer_08.jpg

The foremost part of the engine air intakes, as well as the rearmost part of the engine exhausts, are moulded in such a way that the clean up of seams will be absolutely minimal. The bomb bay can be finished in open or closed position. If the former, there is plenty of nice detail to catch the eye. The prominent air brake at the rear of the fuselage can be finished in open or closed position as well, and is nicely detailed. The Buccaneer's robust landing gear is nicely represented and subtle flat spots are moulded into the tyres. There are different parts for the arrestor hook depending on whether you build the model with gear down or up. The canopy is nicely moulded and can be finished in the open position, although the instructions don't show this.

buccaneer_09.jpg

Three options are provided on the original decal sheet:

• XV361 No.208 Sqn RAF, RAF Lossiemouth June 1990.
  • XV361 As Preserved at the Ulster Aviation Society.
  • XV885 "Sky Pirates" No.12 Sqn RAF, RAF Lossiemouth September 1993

spacer.png

XV361 carries the wrap around Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey scheme while XV885 the Medium Sea Grey / Camouflage Grey Scheme along with its Gulf War nose art.  The decal instructions give the modeller a few variations on the schemes that both aircraft had at times due to replacement panels / radomes etc. 

spacer.png

Conclusion

This kit has been eagerly awaited and the kit is worth the wait. The level of detail is very nice and it's clear that Airfix have put a great deal of thought into their model. There are plenty of options, such as folding wings, airbrake and bomb bay, and they are are all nicely realised. The option of a former Gulf War aircraft is a good one. This is an excellent model which finally plugs a huge hole in the world of injection moulded cold war British aircraft. Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the review, still struggling if I shold get the navy or air force one... or both!

Stupid question, were the wings folded frequently in the air force, or was it more done in the navy for obvious reasons?

Alex

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alex said:

Thanks for the review, still struggling if I shold get the navy or air force one... or both!

Stupid question, were the wings folded frequently in the air force, or was it more done in the navy for obvious reasons?

Alex

The wings would only have been folded for storage on Ark Royal, once on the flight deck they would have been extended. I can see no reason why when they all transferred to the RAF they would ever have been folded again.

One thing not mentioned in the review is that because of the size of the bomb bay, the Buccaneer was often used to fetch and carry the mail !

6 hours ago, Test Valley Models said:

I can see no reason why when they all transferred to the RAF they would ever have been folded again.

The RAF never got that memo then?

7 hours ago, alex said:

Alex

Not a stupid question, saw them folded on more than one occasion.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yeah, I know some photos where they had the wings folded... I just assume it was not that common as on the airfields, you usually have more space available than on aircraft carriers...

Alex

When I was at Lossie back in the early 90's I would often see the Buccs with the wings folded when parked up. It did seem to be a common practice.

(And I was not on any of the squadrons or any of the line servicing units - I worked directly for the SWO - or Station Warrant Officer - so got around a lot of the station for various reasons.)

Oh yes - I have both versions; one bought from the big H, and one directly from Airfix on release.

Whilst at Lossiemouth, we sadly lost one of the Buccaneers from 208 Squadron. It's taken me a while, but I've managed to track down which one. I was only at Lossie for a short while (Aug 91 to Apr 93) so tracking down a list of Buccaneer crashes, there was only one during that time and it was one from 208 sqn - XN976. My duties included drill & discipline, and one of my abiding memories of time spent at Lossie was very sadly, but very proudly, being one of the members of the Firing Party to give a military funeral to one of the aircrew from XN976.

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/236528/XN976

Edited by treker_ed
Additional Information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice vid. I note one had a wing tank and others had no inboard pylon fitted in the early flying of Granby at least.

Luggage was also stored in the bomb bay but sometimes forgotten about. An RN Buccaneer on deployment was asked to demonstrate a toss delivery profile to some dignatories on an RN warship. Duly obliging the pilot pulled up and rotated the bomb bay and a giant teddy bear flew out, heading towards the ship. The Nav had stowed it there.to take back to his kids after the deployment. i hope it was retrieved for him. Another time a Bucc returning to base from a foreign base, was heading up the East coast of Yorkshire and as it was passing RAF Cowden range asked to do a pass on the sea targets. When they rotated the bomb bay all their luggage fell into the sea. A day later they came back down and did several slow passes looking for their belongings. 

This is a nice kit. I'm doing a build for the Gulf War group build. Having a few minor issues but I see several more of these in my future - hopefully some of the anniversary schemes will be re-issued by the decal companies. And you can have enough bits left over to tart up a Revell/Matchbox one.

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2021 at 21:51, alex said:

Yeah, I know some photos where they had the wings folded... I just assume it was not that common as on the airfields, you usually have more space available than on aircraft carriers...

You would be surprised.  The aircraft at Laarbruch were definitely parked with wings folded because they were in Hardened Aircraft Shelters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo, gents!

What I have read about the wings is that they were structurally made to stay folded most of the times, and that keeping them permanently unfolded created structural problems; therefore, they started to store the aircraft with wings folded. But I cannot assure this, of course.

Besides... the under wing roots seem molded together to the central belly part (i.e., the bomb bay) beyond the folding line... are we meant to perform some surgery to pose them folded?

Regards!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
Better wording

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Besides... the under wing roots seem molded together to the central belly part (i.e., the bomb bay) beyond the folding line... are we meant to perform some surgery to pose them folded?

Regards!

Fernando

As I said in the review

The outer wing can also be cut away at this juncture if you wish to build the model with wings folded.

• Like 1

Looking at the sprues the parts look a lot like the 1/48 Bucc kit before Airfix went into receivership in the years gone by.  Not 100% but a large %.  The 1/48 kit was a challenge but not difficult, lots of quality modelers outlined the sequence to get the major challenge (Fuselage) correct.  I enjoyed building the brick more than other kits in my collection, it has beauty all it's own and a favorite of mine when I show it.  Glad to see the 1/72 kit get some love and hope the aftermarket gets some detail parts for it.  I packed my 1/48 build with everything I can find, I have a couple more 1/48 originals in the stash along with Model Alliance Granby decals but the aftermarket parts have gone scarce,  I loved the Brick during Granby especially the Nose Art.  Sea Witch Debbie being my favorite.  I wouldn't mind doing another one, but I have to get the aftermarket parts to equal or better my first build.  Great Review, if the 1/72 kits get some aftermarket love, I may have to build it.

JTY

FPtFfHk.jpg

b51g5d7.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A point that no-one's mentioned (more relevant to Navy Buccaneers). The radome is moulded into the cockpit/forward fuselage sides rather than separately so it can be fitted folded back.

• Julien locked this topic