Shorts Tucano Painting

MBM

Hi All,

First of all I'm not sure if this should go into the paints part of the forums as its about painting the Shorts Tucano gloss black but then again its about the Tucano.....

Anyways, been working on the HobbyBoss Tucano (converted to a Shorts Tucano) and almost finished the painting process, unfortunately I'm out of gloss black at the moment so at present its sitting as a matt black aircraft. I know getting gloss black finishes is notoriously difficult, just wondering would layering some Alclad II Gloss Black Primer assist with the mirror black finish that you get on Tucanos? I'm doubtful whether repeated gloss coats will do the trick even with buffing and polishing compounds.

Cheers and stay safe,

M

• Like 1

I always use Johnson's Klear (an acrylic floor polish) to get a high gloss finish , easy to apply with a brush, water soluble , good base and sealant for decals , mixes well with Tamiya Matt Cote for variations of Satin final coats and (fortunately) a bottle lasts for years.

It has been out of production for several years but there are discussions on the forum that are worth searching out about the suitability of similar products that are currently available.

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2021 at 18:49, Des said:

I always use Johnson's Klear (an acrylic floor polish) to get a high gloss finish , easy to apply with a brush, water soluble , good base and sealant for decals , mixes well with Tamiya Matt Cote for variations of Satin final coats and (fortunately) a bottle lasts for years.

It has been out of production for several years but there are discussions on the forum that are worth searching out about the suitability of similar products that are currently available.

Hi Des,

Many thanks for your response and advice and my apologies about my horrifically late reply, moving back to uni has meant model production is severely limited so I haven't been on the forums for a while!

Cheers,

M

• Thanks 1