NZ Beaufort mk1 from Airfix - Finished

10 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Thanks Dave - I'm definitely playing second fiddle to you on this one (and happily so!).  The paint is ColourCoats' finest and is a joy to spray.  I'm still learning thr ins and outs of using the airbrush but I'm getting there slowly.

You’re just as much a Beaufort Pioneer as I am, so its good to share all these titbits with others along the way. I’ll never claim to be an airbrushing maestro, however the confidence with this apparatus always grows the more you use it. Using good quality paints and thinners helps and its a shame that (as far as I know) only one online retail store stocks ColourCoats paints in nAustralia, so its not that easy to obtain as the usual popular colours are always on ‘back order’. Anyway, I’m going to try AK’s real colour range for the main top colours on my kit. The other night I tested about eight different versions of Dark Earth and I’m not exactly happy with any of them! 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

its a shame that (as far as I know) only one online retail store stocks ColourCoats paints in nAustralia, so its not that easy to obtain as the usual popular colours are always on ‘back order’.

That's very annoying; what is also annoying is that the Post Office won't let us post paint internationally, otherwise I'd say that I'd be happy to send them on to you.  I'll do some digging and see if a courier will do it for a worthwhile price. 

• Thanks 1

Say hello to the Bristol Brownfort:

spacer.png

How well this will look remains to be seen; the masking was a bit experimental (think Two Virgins rather than Walls And Bridges) so I may well be doing some tidying up yet.

• Like 10

Looking great in that nice coat of Dark Earth Jack. Don’t worry about slight touch-ups here and there, it’s all part of the airbrushing fun. Just make sure that if you mix your own potion of paints, you save some for these issues later on! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Okay, enough procrastinating, just get on with it, boyo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can no doubt tell, I've managed to paint the camo (eventually and with much huffing and puffing) using home-made masks.  Not perfect but it'll do until I can face tidying it up a bit.

I've been putting this off, so I'm glad to have got it sorted.  I've been on a marathon Dark Green session this morning and have managed to do this one, the Tempest and the Defiant, but as the end of this GB is in five weeks, I'd better get the hell on with this one, I reckon.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, while grindingly slow, is actually happening:

spacer.png

The decals are a mix of Airfix's own and Oldsmodels ones.  Neither are what you'd call spectacular but they'll do.

• Like 13

I’ve missed your earlier update, looking really nice with paint and decals on, well done. Now I’ve used Old Models decals before (Frog Canberra) and must admit I did find them a little thick and awkward. I only used a fraction of the overall sheet but was satisfied with the end result. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I’ve used Old Models decals before (Frog Canberra) and must admit I did find them a little thick and awkward. I only used a fraction of the overall sheet but was satisfied with the end result.

That's my experience too, although this is my first try with them.  This morning they actually looked pretty good, after marinading in Micro Set overnight.

Next job is to apply the serial number and stencils before sorting out the matt coat and glazing.  I cut away most of the workings of the turret in order to fit it after painting, so that will need putting in place and assembling, too.

• Like 2

I actually sat down this morning and put some solid effort into making measurable progress with the Beaufort.  I don't know who's more shocked, me or the kit.

As I said above, some of the decals are the Oldsmodel ones (the codes and fin flashes) and the rest came from the sheet supplied with the kit.  Initially I had a wee panic about just how wrinkly the roundels went but they sorted themselves out rather nicely with a small amount of Micro Set and a nice soft flat brush.

I'm 80% happy with the colour on the collector rings but they took a lot of fiddling to get them there; only one more stage to go on those and I hope they'll look okay because I won't be doing much else to them now.  I'm working on the principle that these would have changed colour depending on their temperature....  Note to self; a bronze base coat would have been my friend here.

spacer.png

The fuel dump pipes, pitot head, rail and aerials are all painted and ready to fit tomorrow and the airscrews and tailwheel have had their first coats too.

I'm keen to crack on and get her finished now.  Watch this space (but not too closely!).

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 8

Nice job on those collector rings. I’ve just sprayed mine a Metallic Smoke colour, however my kit will be essentially in ‘just entered service’ guide. You’ve done a good job with the masking too, I hated that chore on mine. She’s coming along lovely. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice job on those collector rings. I’ve just sprayed mine a Metallic Smoke colour, however my kit will be essentially in ‘just entered service’ guide. You’ve done a good job with the masking too, I hated that chore on mine. She’s coming along lovely. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you, Dave.  The masking was fun and it didn't go seamlessly but I got there in the end.  I'm beginning to feel that I'm on the home straight with the kit now, and will be very interested to compare the results of our builds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

What Dave just said! The collector looks great!

What paint did you use?

Chris

Cheers Chris, that's kind of you to say.  Paints have been mostly ColourCoats enamels but some bits (like the fuselage interior) were done with Humbrol enamls as I'm trying to use them up before they dry out completely.  I'm weaning myself off them as much as I can and trying to use CC as much as possible because they're so much better.  If they did metallics as well I'd be in pain heaven...

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Cheers Chris, that's kind of you to say.  Paints have been mostly ColourCoats enamels but some bits (like the fuselage interior) were done with Humbrol enamls as I'm trying to use them up before they dry out completely.  I'm weaning myself off them as much as I can and trying to use CC as much as possible because they're so much better.  If they did metallics as well I'd be in pain heaven...

Well, thank you for the answer, but I was asking about the paint on the collector rings specifically, though the rest of the 'Fort looks great, too!

Chris

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I was asking about the paint on the collector rings

Whoops!  Looking back at your question it's perfectly obvious that was what you were asking.  Can I blame posting at well past my bedtime for the error?

I mixed some Humbrol brown (62, I think) with a small amount of aluminium (56) as the base coat and then sprayed a thin coat of a mix of 85 (satin black) and 56 over the top of that before finishing it off with a heavy-ish wash of Mig Ammo fuel stain.  The last piece of the puzzle will be another, lighter coat of the fuel stain wash.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Whoops!  Looking back at your question it's perfectly obvious that was what you were asking.  Can I blame posting at well past my bedtime for the error?

I mixed some Humbrol brown (62, I think) with a small amount of aluminium (56) as the base coat and then sprayed a thin coat of a mix of 85 (satin black) and 56 over the top of that before finishing it off with a heavy-ish wash of Mig Ammo fuel stain.  The last piece of the puzzle will be another, lighter coat of the fuel stain wash.

Awesome! Thanks. No worries about your first answer. I really should have asked a more precise question, but between my old brain and my crap typing skills, I sometimes miss things.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Okay, so how do these jeffing undercarriage doors go on?!

Was wondering that myself. The instructions look like it's a click fit, no glue.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Right, contrary to what may be suggested by my tectonic progress with this build I am actually still alive and well.  The Beaufort isn't finished yet but she's well on the way.

spacer.png

There is a little tidying up to be done on the paintwork (mostly around the canopy) and then some weathering to do before fitting the wingtip lights and breathing a huge sigh of relief.  With a bit of luck I'll get this done in the next couple of days as I have the Less Than A Tenner, Bf109 and Bristol Aeroplane Company GB's incoming at a frightening rate.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 8

That’s looking superb Jack and it’s all coming along really nicely. Not long now until you finish up and start to tackle something new.... always a good feeling although I wish I got there more often myself.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

I've done the panel line washes and a bit of weathering; not too much as this aircraft never made it to operational flying.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not long to go now.

• Like 3

That looks great!

A wee question: I see that you didn't paint the flat bottoms of the tires. I've also noticed this on lots of other models. Is there a reason for this?

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

That looks great!

A wee question: I see that you didn't paint the flat bottoms of the tires. I've also noticed this on lots of other models. Is there a reason for this?

Chris

Lazy.

Well, and they were stuck to the lolly stick using the flat bit!

• Like 1