Revell 1:125th Ocean Explorer > RV Calypso

Originally released as the RV Calypso used by Jacques Cousteau, this 2010 re-box is essentially the same kit as released by Revell in 1976 but no longer carrying the Cousteau/Calypso markings.

I had the original kit back in the late 1970's as a Christmas gift - a real rarity and break from my normal 1:72nd aeroplanes. Back then (I was 7 or 8 years old), I did a fair mix of paint/no paint builds. Calypso was a no-paint project, but it was built and played with nonetheless! It went through numerous repair sessions, but sadly didn't survive the test of time.

I started collecting replacements for the various builds I did as a child, and after searching for an original Calypso I went for the re-box as a much cheaper alternative!

This is being built in memory of a work colleague and crew-mate in the Ambulance Service who was also a keen model maker (armour and figures). He was instrumental in getting me back into the hobby during the summer of 2020 as when not treating patients and driving from A to B, we chatted a lot about model making, military history etc.
He was always very keen to see this one built, and frequently asked "You started that boat yet?" when I saw him or was on duty with him.
Sadly, he won't get to see it complete as he died due to Covid in January 2021.... but wherever he may be now, I can at least say "Actually Jules mate, yes I have started it..!"

One thing in particular I've found in researching RV Calypso is that it went through countless refits and modifications during it's working life, making it difficult to pin down exact colour and detail for any one year of service or expedition. Also, the close-up shots show that as a working vessel, the ship is well worn in places - repairs and modifications are very agricultural in their finesse!

As a result, the colour scheme for details are going to be a 'close-enough' representation. She's not going to be pristine, that's for sure!

The build will be essentially out-the-box as that's my preferred style, with a few minor scratch add-ons (such as winch cables, rope lines). I will also be attempting to make my own decals to represent the RV Calypso. If that fails, I'll hand paint the markings.

The kit is starting to show signs that betray it's age: some minor warping in regards to the squareness of fit in a few areas (cabins), and the split/mould lines are starting to become a little heavy some finer parts (railings most noticeable), and some minor flash. However none of which is a showstopper; a little patience and fettling will work wonders for the split lines and flash. The squaring up of the cabins again just take patience with gluing time and the easiest way I found was to dry fit the walls into the deck floors while fettling the walls to best fit as required, and apply the glue to the interior corners (I'm quite happy to glue one corner and leave overnight, then glue the next corner in the morning... after all, it's not a race). There is a huge potential here for diorama builders, as the kit comes with a plethora of support and maritime exploration equipment.

The majority of windows, with the exception of the bridge, are moulded into the castings so will either need painting or drilling out and replacing with clear (depending on your preference). I'm going for a mix - the portholes drilled out, the larger square cabin windows painted then 'glazed'. Be aware that neither the cabins or bridge have any interior detail, so if you've got this one in the stash and are thinking about cracking it open, start planning early on if addition of an interior is an absolute must for your build style and preference.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most of the main subassemblies complete and smaller parts fettled.

spacer.png

As you can see the main windows apart from the bridge are moulded in. Also as you'll see in the following photos, minimal but fine raised details added to the cabin exterior walls.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wooden hull effect despite being raised lines is quite finely done and does look effective.

spacer.png

The observation chamber at the bow of the keel - the windows here will be drilled out and clear replacements made.

spacer.png

Some of the solid railings are going to be replaced with 'rope' and chain as appropriate.

spacer.png

The stern has a bit of simple raised detail, including the frame/mount for a retractable platform (on the right of the photo).

spacer.png

First dry-fit of the major subassemblies gives a good idea of the overall size and bulk of the build and helps provide important information to formulate a plan for painting and any masking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Onto the priming and painting next....

Comments and suggestions always welcome 😊👍

Cheers!

Edited by Rob Henderson
  • Like 3

And the painting starts:

spacer.png

The aim is to get a worn wooden deck. This is a working vessel rather than a cruise ship, so grime and stains required. Tamiya acrylics airbrushed and slightly scuffed between shades with a very (very, very) worn out piece of 3M superfine sanding sponge. Some staining spots added using Citadel Miniatures shades (Nuln Oil, Agrax Earth, Riekland Earth), then again scuffed between shades.

spacer.png

Lots of fixtures on the decks are moulded in. Decided the easiest way around this is a splash of Humbrol Maskol.

spacer.png

Deck fixtures colour on the way, and the Maskol shows it comes away nice and easy; if it's proving problematic getting a lift anywhere so you can peel it off, just nudge it gently with a pencil eraser.

spacer.png

A few very minor spots of touching in but happy with the foundations it's laid. Onto the next stage with the wear and tear.....

spacer.png

Working on the larger deck accessories. The rear winch system is quite basic and clean, so I decide it needs beefing up somewhat....

spacer.png

Time to add a bit of cotton thread to help emulate steel cable, and a length of fine brass chain to the main roller.....

spacer.png

A lick of paint, and hopefully it looks the part!

spacer.png

In between the deck accessories, work starts on the main hull. After a primer and gentle rubdown, it's white first, satin clearcoat, then the red and another coat of satin clear.....

spacer.png

With the black last of all with another final satin clear coat. All Tamiya acrylics, airbrushed. Masking outline with 3mm vinyl tape.

spacer.png

Then it's onto experimenting with some weathering. Tamiya weathering powders (dark and light rust, gray and yellow) added using cheap makeup applicator sponges. Green powder added for the algae staining on the red hull section and lower black (waterline level) as a base for barnacle growth. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Heavier weathering around the bow observation chamber modification and anchor stow position. Rudders and props also now in place.

More to follow...

As always, comments and suggestions welcome 😊👍

Cheers!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Rob Henderson said:

The observation chamber at the bow of the keel

Gidday Rob, I think that location is called the forefoot.

I think she's an elegant yet purposeful looking vessel. Definitely a 'working girl', and if what you've done to date is any guide then it's going to be a good model. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Rob, I think that location is called the forefoot.

I think she's an elegant yet purposeful looking vessel. Definitely a 'working girl', and if what you've done to date is any guide then it's going to be a good model. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff! Glad you like the look f her so far 😎
Interesting to learn a new term/word too. Maritime kit is a relatively unknown subject for me (always been an aviation nut till now), so it's good to expand the knowledge base 👍 Cheers mate!

• Like 1

That is shaping up well, nice to see a non military build. I do like the rust effect below the portholes, I do wish my attempts at rust effects looked like rust and not just brown smudges.

Jon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

That is shaping up well, nice to see a non military build. I do like the rust effect below the portholes, I do wish my attempts at rust effects looked like rust and not just brown smudges.

Jon

Thanks Jon! Doing a boat is a new venture for me, so lots of experimenting going on with the wear and tear effects 😎👍

• Like 1