1/32 Spitfire PR.IV (Hobbyboss w/Tamiya engine?) Alistair McDonald's AA783, lost March 13th, 1942

elger

Superb kitbashing and scratchbuilding - it looks great. Looking forward to the rest of the build. It's not often you see a PR.IV, especially in 1:32 scale.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Am I mistaken or have the inboard side of the mainwheel(s) and tire and both sides of the tailwheel been sprayed PRU Blue?

I think that this is the case in this example

Some lovely work here Elger. I will definitely use your beautiful Merlin as inspiration for my current MkIXc build - awesome work sir!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Paint on:

EiEiuNr.jpg

I made a version of PRU blue by making a 50-50 mix of Ammo 0228 Intermediate Blue (ANA 608) and Ammo 062 French Blue. For the main paint job I misted on layers of this mix with Ammo Transparator and Hataka thinner added to it.

Painted on the walkways rather than using decals. Photos of early PR Spitfires are inconsistent about the presence of walkways - but I added them because it breaks up the monotone colour.

Next up - some decals!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

O Beautiful!

How much weathering are you planning?

John

funny you should ask. I was not planning on a lot, but I used a black panel line wash and that combined with a coat of clear flat makes it look quite weathered (the contrast of the preshading also really comes through). So it's ending up looking rather weathered, and more weathered than I had planned, but it actually looks quite good to my eye. Will post some photos tonight or tomorrow if all goes well!

This is how it looks now - just about ready for finishing touches. It's ending up looking more weathered than I intended, but I quite like the effect. It does look more stark in these images than it does to the naked eye - will try to take better pictures when it's really done

90ZJdrw.jpg

In8FeeT.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

I almost forgot to post about an important thing: the PR canopy! I've used the Grey Matter Figures vacuum formed front part, but in cutting that out I sort of ruined the vacuum formed mid section. So I ended up modifying the kit canopy so that it could accept the Grey Matter Figures blisters, which are separate on the sheet.

A general problem with the Hobbyboss main canopy is that it's very bulbous. This made fitting the blisters very tricky. Part of the process was sanding down the sides of the clear part to make the sides slightly more flat.

I put masking tape on the sides, and marked out the position of the blisters with a pencil:

gAF8izk.jpg

Next I very carefully drilled out holes, and removed the masking tape.

cIe5ahL.jpg

I then used cutters to cut out the blister section, and used a file to very carefully sand it to size.

The blisters didn't fit exact, but I filled up any gaps with some white glue. I also added a trim with Archer rivets (the real thing appears to be riveted on as well)

xkMbKUU.jpg

In the end, it looks quite acceptable. The canopy locking mechanism came from a Barracuda Spitfire upgrade set.

I made the little canopy release balloon from a ball of white glue, painted red. The Spitfire IV had a rear view mirror in the starboard side blister so that the pilot could check for vapour trails. I used the kit part with a bit of foil from a packet of crisps.

T4tCD6v.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Very neat, like a lot of people clear parts scare the life out of me, but you did well.

Cheers

Dennis

this was the stuff of (scale modeling) nightmares!

This is an exceptional piece of work - the level of detail is stunning and that canopy came out a treat!

Tom

• Like 1