1:48 Fairey Swordfish MkII

Dunny

Excellent progress Roger, looks fantastic,  i do like Tamiya's engineering for this kit.  You have done a splendid job on the engine and interior fella. I have the newer Aifix 72nd kit in the stash and the Trumpeter 32nd kit which I am really looking forward to building one day.

Keep up the great work fella 

Chris

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Roger, looks fantastic,  i do like Tamiya's engineering for this kit.  You have done a splendid job on the engine and interior fella. I have the newer Aifix 72nd kit in the stash and the Trumpeter 32nd kit which I am really looking forward to building one day.

Keep up the great work fella 

Chris

1:32 - that'll be a beast! Very happy with progress so far - think you're right about this one restoring the mojo!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

1:32 - that'll be a beast! Very happy with progress so far - think you're right about this one restoring the mojo!

Cheers,

Roger

Crikey yes it will. I do love building a biplane and watching it emerge is something very pleasing as with all kits  however just something about them with the rigging etc.  The engineering of the kit really does ensure a wonderful build experience so mojo levels will be high when done. 

Chrid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The exhaust collector ring should be as heat stained as the exhaust pipe. It did collect the exhaust gases right out of the cylinders.

Chris

Good tip Chris - I will alter it accordingly,

Cheers,

Roger

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

Great start, I've only ever built a 1/72 Swordfish, this looks like a peach, lovely detailing.

2 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

I will be following this with interest. I have built two Mk1s and a Mk2 with another Mk2 in the stash.

PE bracing can be tricky so beware. Great start.

Thanks for the kind words gents - much appreciated!

On 3/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, Dunny said:

These aircraft were unusual in that the 'Royal' Navy was replaced with 'Merchant' - initially a joke played by the sailors on the aircrew, but eventually a source of some pride. As my Grandfather served in the Merchant Navy throughout the war, this will be my small tribute to him and all the other brave men who served in this often forgotten but critical service. 

Anyway, on with the build! Let's hope that the mojo returns,

Glad to see the mojo remains strong.  This is something I'll follow with interest; it's great subject (I've always had a hankering to build a Swordfish) and your rendition has an interesting backstory too. 

Progress looks great so far, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Glad to see the mojo remains strong.  This is something I'll follow with interest; it's great subject (I've always had a hankering to build a Swordfish) and your rendition has an interesting backstory too. 

Progress looks great so far, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Thanks for the kind words Mark - it really is a superb kit,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi All,

A strong day's progress on the Stringbag. The paint department have been on overtime, but I had to send the modelmaking team home early 🤣

I decided to leave the wings as halves, as it would be easier to paint them without masking - I did dry-fit them first, and of course the fit was exceptional. Here's the sub-assemblies under a coat of primer:

20210320-144006.jpg

I then pre-shaded all the white areas using EDSG, as I thought black might bleed through too much (forgot to take a photo though). I then slowly mist coated the white, to try and prevent any orange peeling or splatters - here's the result (can you tell the difference from the last photo?) There is actually quite a nice variation in shading which doesn't show at all!

20210320-154630.jpg

Once that was done I masked over the white in preparation for the black, DSG and EDSG (rubbish photo - soz):

20210320-161739.jpg

Here's the black sprayed - I also took the opportunity to correct the wonky cowling stripe. I then pre-shaded the upper surfaces using black:

20210320-162842.jpg

I then applied the Dark Slate Grey - sprayed beautifully, and I applied a thinned coat lightened with Mid-Stone for a bit of variation. I then free-handed the Extra Dark Sea Grey, as the camouflage pattern was not too complex. Here's the lot:

20210320-170115.jpg

Finally, here's the sub-assemblies under a gloss coat.

20210320-173248.jpg

I'll crack on with decals in the morning when that's nice & solid. That's all for now - I'm quite pleased with the way she's shaping up!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looking great, very nice progress today!

Thanks Mark - very much enjoying it too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Roger, been looking forward to seeing this all week.  Looks great in this scheme .  Great paintwork too.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I'm looking forward to bringing all the bits 'n pieces together. It's a pretty special kit and just what I needed,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris - I'm looking forward to bringing all the bits 'n pieces together. It's a pretty special kit and just what I needed,

Cheers,

Roger

That's great to hear Roger, a good kit for Mojo restoration. You are doing great and can't wait to see it  coming together.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

A mixed bag of progress to report. I started off with the cowling, and the lack of heat staining bothered me. I therefore re-masked it and sprayed some steel with some brass colour mixed in, and then some heavily thinned coats of red-brown and hellblau. Here's before:

20210321-140001.jpg

And after:

20210321-141130.jpg

20210321-151027.jpg

That's the result after a Flory was - pretty happy with that, so thanks to @dogsbody for suggesting the improvement (cheers Chris!). Following this I applied the decals, sprayed another gloss coat, and applied and removed a Flory wash. I forgot to take any photos, but here's the result:

20210321-151057.jpg

20210321-151424.jpg

20210321-151427.jpg

I got a bit sad at this point, but very calmly packed everything away and had a nice glass of shiraz. I've ventured another look and think I can salvage the mess, but it's a bit of a downer on what was meant to be a mojo restorer! More to follow next week,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Sad 4

Oh mate, sorry to see that,  ihad a similar thing when I did the Arma Hurricane a while back.   I had to re decal it.  Might be worth putting a wanted add for the decals on BM to see if anyone has them if they built another kit option. 

Was it just the fuselage roundels and squadron codes I will have a look though my decals and see if I can assist if you want. Let me know

Hope you this lovely kit sorted fella.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate, sorry to see that,  ihad a similar thing when I did the Arma Hurricane a while back.   I had to re decal it.  Might be worth putting a wanted add for the decals on BM to see if anyone has them if they built another kit option. 

Was it just the fuselage roundels and squadron codes I will have a look though my decals and see if I can assist if you want. Let me know

Hope you this lovely kit sorted fella.

Chris

Cheers Chris,

At this stage I think I'm going to attempt to rescue the codes but replace the roundel. We shall see what the week brings - appreciate the support,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

Happy Friday - I hope everyone has had a good week? A quick update on the Stringbag, and a much happier Dunny than where I left off last week. In order to remove the damaged roundel I carefully rubbed thinner around the area with a cotton bud. That, along with some judicious scraping with a scalpel left me with this:

20210326-173944.jpg

I shall rub this down with 1000 grit, locally mask and respray tomorrow. Happily, a couple of wipes with thinner on the other decals removed the worst of the crazing which had been shown up by the Flory wash. I was going to remove these too but I think I'm now happy to leave them in place. 🤩

20210326-174017.jpg

I think they'll look just fine once the flat coat is applied. After a careful wipe down with water to remove any residual solvent, I shall leave everything to dry overnight before respraying tomorrow. I think I'm calling that one a save! :elephant::elephant::elephant:

@corsaircorp I hope your Airacobra wing repair goes as well as this!!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great save Roger,  good to see you are on it fella and I am sure will be a stunner when done. 

Great job fella 

Chris

Thanks Chris - I'm far more optimistic than 5 days ago! Have a great weekend,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

Hello Roger,

Hooops I'm a bit late on the game !!

The cobra is put aside for now... If I work on it on the spot, the result is oftenly worst than the damage done....:deadhorse:

So, the best way is the way you choosed too, put it aside, and come back later with a fresh mind !!

I got that same problem with the decals on my Spitfire Mk XVI...

You surely know it but there are some generic seatbelts PE frets...

I try to have at least some at hand, it's cheaper than the specific ones...

Now, Stringbag and shagbat have Laaaarge seat belts for the observer and gunners...

I know about the mojo, mine is actually flying really low.... I mean lawn mower altitude....

Well, I'm sticking to my promises.... Next RFI will be a japanese one methink...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger,

Hooops I'm a bit late on the game !!

The cobra is put aside for now... If I work on it on the spot, the result is oftenly worst than the damage done....:deadhorse:

So, the best way is the way you choosed too, put it aside, and come back later with a fresh mind !!

I got that same problem with the decals on my Spitfire Mk XVI...

You surely know it but there are some generic seatbelts PE frets...

I try to have at least some at hand, it's cheaper than the specific ones...

Now, Stringbag and shagbat have Laaaarge seat belts for the observer and gunners...

I know about the mojo, mine is actually flying really low.... I mean lawn mower altitude....

Well, I'm sticking to my promises.... Next RFI will be a japanese one methink...

Sincerely.

CC

You and me both Alain. Maybe we should start a build together to cheer us up?! Have you got any Hellcats? I've got a lovely Eduard Dual Combo ready to go. Best wishes to you and Mrs CC,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dunny said:

You and me both Alain. Maybe we should start a build together to cheer us up?! Have you got any Hellcats? I've got a lovely Eduard Dual Combo ready to go. Best wishes to you and Mrs CC,

Cheers,

Roger

I still have an Hellcat on the bench, once again a crazy conversion...

Turning an old Monogram F6F into a detailled F6F-5P....

But restart it is a great idea !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I still have an Hellcat on the bench, once again a crazy conversion...

Turning an old Monogram F6F into a detailled F6F-5P....

But restart it is a great idea !!

Sincerely.

CC

Alain - is this a thing? I will start a WIP tomorrow if so...

Excited of Adelaide Hills,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1