1:48 Fairey Swordfish MkII

Dunny

Hi All,

I've had a couple of false starts in recent times, in part due to a serious slump in mojo. With my Beaufighter and Fulmar temporarily consigned to the 'meh' pile, I needed a serious motivational boost. I've been lusting after Tamiya's Swordfish for many a moon, so a couple of months back bagged the PE set, without having the kit itself! :doh: Then last week I received an email to say that the kit was back in stock at my (not very) LHS. Quicker than you can say 'Carrier-based Fleet Air Arm Biplane' I wielded my credit card details, and a nicely packed box arrived a short couple of days later. Here's the boxart:

20210313-112621.jpg

Here's the PE fret - a bit rich to have to pay extra for a kit this expensive, but there you go:

20210313-112637.jpg

For experts, indeed. Does anyone here know one? :banghead:

I've also invested in a set of Eduard seatbelts and an etch set - yes I know it's for a MkI, but I won't tell if you won't...

20210313-112651.jpg

Here's the lovely sprues - detail looks girt lush, as they say in Bristol:

20210313-112809.jpg

20210313-112835.jpg

20210313-112858.jpg

20210313-112910.jpg

And the decals - typical Tamiya fare:

20210313-123411.jpg

I'm going to complete as the box scheme, which is LS276 of 836 Sqn FAA, which served aboard Merchant Aircraft Carrier Amastra in 1943. Here's a photo of Amastra, which was one of 10 Royal Dutch/Shell oil carriers converted to MACs:

helderline-36045-Home-940-15797-mac-4-am

A limited search has not turned up any photos of LS276, but here's another aircraft from 836 Sqn:

Swordfish.jpg

These aircraft were unusual in that the 'Royal' Navy was replaced with 'Merchant' - initially a joke played by the sailors on the aircrew, but eventually a source of some pride. As my Grandfather served in the Merchant Navy throughout the war, this will be my small tribute to him and all the other brave men who served in this often forgotten but critical service. 

Anyway, on with the build! Let's hope that the mojo returns,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you are not aware of it, do NOT add Parts K3 & K4 to the lower rear fuselage. This is not anything that was ever on a real Swordfish.

It's a interpretation of a photo of a rocker armed Swordfish with one wing still folded back.

51031168742_f97bf8252f_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

If you are not aware of it, do NOT add Parts K3 & K4 to the lower rear fuselage. This is not anything that was ever on a real Swordfish.

It's a interpretation of a photo of a rocker armed Swordfish with one wing still folded back.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205186702

Chris

Thanks Chris - I had read of this error! It was not called for on the version I am modelling,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My chair is pulled up and a fresh beverage has been opened. Let the show begin!

Chris

Good to have you on board sir!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've made a flying start today! First of all I chucked some prime around, and then looked at starting the cockpit. Now as we all know, the Stringbag has a doped linen fuselage. In order to try and replicate this effect I first sprayed some white tinted with a little Mid-Stone to replicate the linen colour:

20210313-133329.jpg

I then sprayed a few coats of thinned red brown to represent the dope staining - this was left deliberately patchy to replicate the seeping effect of the dope on the linen:

20210313-134821.jpg

I then carefully picked out the stringers in interior grey green - not sure if this is accurate but I figured a maritime aircraft interior would have been painted for corrosion protection:

20210313-140038.jpg

I then masked off the doped area and sprayed the remainder of the cockpit in interior grey green:

20210313-141748.jpg

I'm not displeased with the overall effect. Interior grey green was also sprayed on all the other cockpit components - here's the floor which also received a local coat of aluminium as called out by Tamiya:

20210313-143428.jpg

Finally, here's the pilot's cockpit starting to be assembled:

20210313-160540.jpg

I'm enjoying this, and laughing in the face of a lapsed mojo!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Nice start.

I will be following this with interest as I have the same kit in the stash. 

Thank you sir! It's falling together so far - typical Tamiya!

Mind if I pull up a stool at the bar here?  

I have been coveting this kit too.  I think after I have completed (at least another three Fulmars and three Hellcats and a Corsair to complete) my current theme of FAA fighters I’ll move on to some examples of other carrier based aircraft and the Swordfish will have to be one of these (Albacore, Barracuda, Tarpon/Avenger).  Great work on the doped linen, I really like the effect.  So I’ll be watching you progress..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Mind if I pull up a stool at the bar here?  

I have been coveting this kit too.  I think after I have completed (at least another three Fulmars and three Hellcats and a Corsair to complete) my current theme of FAA fighters I’ll move on to some examples of other carrier based aircraft and the Swordfish will have to be one of these (Albacore, Barracuda, Tarpon/Avenger).  Great work on the doped linen, I really like the effect.  So I’ll be watching you progress..

Thanks very much GB - welcome aboard!

Good start. I built the Mk.I and also used the P.E. rigging which I struggled with. They appeared to be a tad long and after a few failed attempts I tried something different. I cut off the lower mounting tabs. I then glued the rigging to the upper wing and when dry, I dabbed a bit of C.A. on the lower end of the rigging and just let it sit on the lower wing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fubar57 said:

Good start. I built the Mk.I and also used the P.E. rigging which I struggled with. They appeared to be a tad long and after a few failed attempts I tried something different. I cut off the lower mounting tabs. I then glued the rigging to the upper wing and when dry, I dabbed a bit of C.A. on the lower end of the rigging and just let it sit on the lower wing

Good tip - thank you very much! 

This is a great kit [I have a ¾ done floatplane on a shelf, plus both Mk.1 and 2 in the stash], but I had the same experience with the PE rigging; the geometry has to be EXACTLY right, or the wires appear to sag, which isn’t a good look.  But that’s fixable, and in all other respects it is a great choice for mojo-restoration.

• Like 2

Hi All,

One final brief update for the day. I progressed a little further with the cockpit - drybrushing, oil wash and the rest. Here's the state of play at the end of today:

20210313-173953.jpg

Not looking too shabby! More to come tomorrow,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

Just now, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

This is a great kit [I have a ¾ done floatplane on a shelf, plus both Mk.1 and 2 in the stash], but I had the same experience with the PE rigging; the geometry has to be EXACTLY right, or the wires appear to sag, which isn’t a good look.  But that’s fixable, and in all other respects it is a great choice for mojo-restoration.

I shall proceed with caution with regard to the rigging. Or perhaps I should call an expert 🤣

Look forward to seeing the floatplane...

• Like 1

Hey Dunny,

Not sure if you’re interested but, if you are going down the torpedo route you might consider this RAF/FAA torpedo trolley and torpedo.  The manufacturer is a member of the IPMS here in Ireland.  

I was given the 1/48 pre-production version (as a member of IPMS Ireland) at one of our meetings to take a look at and it’s a lovely little kit.  With lowered and raised scissor jacks to allow it to be loaded to your aircraft (I’ve seen a picture of one being used to load a bomb on a Barracuda).

I have no connection to the manufacturer, just think it would look good next to you finished Swordfish..

https://themodelbunker.com/3d-models-kits/18-royal-air-force-royal-navy-wwii-torpedo-with-trolley.html#/scale-1_48

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

Hey Dunny,

Not sure if you’re interested but, if you are going down the torpedo route you might consider this RAF/FAA torpedo trolley and torpedo.  The manufacturer is a member of the IPMS here in Ireland.  

I was given the 1/48 pre-production version (as a member of IPMS Ireland) at one of our meetings to take a look at and it’s a lovely little kit.  With lowered and raised scissor jacks to allow it to be loaded to your aircraft (I’ve seen a picture of one being used to load a bomb on a Barracuda).

I have no connection to the manufacturer, just think it would look good next to you finished Swordfish..

https://themodelbunker.com/3d-models-kits/18-royal-air-force-royal-navy-wwii-torpedo-with-trolley.html#/scale-1_48

That is veeery nice - thank you! As it goes I'll probably go with the rocket option, but will surely bear this in mind for other builds. Appreciate the thought...

• Like 2

Hi Roger, 

Lovely choice, it is a lovely kit and looks very impressive when assembled.   I have built the Floatplane kit and also had issues with the etched rigging. 

You have made a great start fella and it's  looking  fab the cockpit area looks great and suitably busy , it is good to see you fighting the Low Mojo and winning, as I do like your work. 

Chris 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger, 

Lovely choice, it is a lovely kit and looks very impressive when assembled.   I have built the Floatplane kit and also had issues with the etched rigging. 

You have made a great start fella and it's  looking  fab the cockpit area looks great and suitably busy , it is good to see you fighting the Low Mojo and winning, as I do like your work. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris - I clearly need to pay attention to the rigging! You will see the Fulmar eventually, but I hope this is some small compensation 😉

Appreciate your support as always,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris - I clearly need to pay attention to the rigging! You will see the Fulmar eventually, but I hope this is some small compensation 😉

Appreciate your support as always,

Cheers,

Roger

No worries fella,  the Swordfish is a cracking kit and looking forward to seeing it progress. I appreciate the fragile state of ones Mojo, I had a low point last October/November. You helped me through that, thank you and if you need a chat you know where I am. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella,  the Swordfish is a cracking kit and looking forward to seeing it progress. I appreciate the fragile state of ones Mojo, I had a low point last October/November. You helped me through that, thank you and if you need a chat you know where I am. 

Chris

Thanks mate - all good but life sometimes gets in the way of benchtime. This might just get me back in the saddle though...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Hey Dunny,

Ooh, that’s nice - his online shop is down at the moment, but I’ll definitely be getting one of those; thanks!

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some good progress today! Here's the cockpit prior to buttoning up - seatbelts added, final detail painting. I ended up using the kit IP because the decals looked pretty reasonable (I just added an Airscale compass, as this was not catered for - can't have a Stringbag without a compass!!)

20210314-111758.jpg

Here's the cockpit as shown on the box art - some lovely figure painting for sure, but that has to be the WORST rendition of interior grey green I have ever seen! What were Tamiya thinking?

20210314-113503.jpg

Here she is after buttoning up, which was absolutely perfect - no gaps at all. Still enjoying this 🤩

20210314-121937.jpg

Still plenty of detail on show including the fabric effect, so I'm pleased I made the effort. Next the tailfeathers were added:

20210314-125346.jpg

Next I'm on to adding the wing support struts - wish me luck! May have another update later depending on progress :penguin:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7

Hi All,

More solid progress today. I've decided to finish the Stringbag with the port wing extended, starboard wing folded - I thought I might save a bit of shelf space and it also looks interesting. The next job was therefore fitting of the wing stubs (the top wing section is just dry-fitted for fun - it will be much easier to attach following painting). I also added the undercarriage struts, which are superbly engineered (as is the whole model)

20210314-144840.jpg

The next job I decided to attack was the engine and nacelle. I started with applying the steel for the exhaust cowling, and applied a little heat staining to the exhaust. Once I'd done that I thought I may as well finish the job, so applied the white and EDSG to the cowling:

20210314-162907.jpg

The PE engine sections add a bit of detail. You can also see that I need to balance up the EDSG strip on the top of the cowling :rage:

20210314-163604.jpg

Finally, here's the state of play at the end of the day:

20210314-163614.jpg

Got to be happy with that!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10