Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury 1

32 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Simon 

Sorry fella,  I saw it with the bade coat on and automatically thought of oils for the wood effect, crikey using acrylics for it. I don't get on with them myself but will be interesting to see that. 

Chris

No probs at all Chris.

I dont really get on with them either apart from the likes of Tamiya through an airbrush😱

So yes will be very interesting and I will keep you updated on how it goes

Si

• Like 1

Just now, Simon Dyer said:

No probs at all Chris.

I dont really get on with them either apart from the likes of Tamiya through an airbrush😱

So yes will be very interesting and I will keep you updated on how it goes

Si

Ahh that's why I don't get on with them , I use the hairy stick !!!

Good luck 

Chris

I don't wish to cause any trouble, but some of the Fury props were grey with black on the rear face of the blades. The Matchbox Fury is a very nice kit. It needs more detail in the cockpit and some of the rivet detail around the nose looks a bit. I built my first one at Uni in 1973 after my first year exams. Finished it in camouflage as a 1 Squadron aircraft that I think was in a old Aircraft Illustrated and also in Camouflage and Markings No 6. Ah happy innocent days of my youth. 

26 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I don't wish to cause any trouble, but some of the Fury props were grey with black on the rear face of the blades. The Matchbox Fury is a very nice kit. It needs more detail in the cockpit and some of the rivet detail around the nose looks a bit. I built my first one at Uni in 1973 after my first year exams. Finished it in camouflage as a 1 Squadron aircraft that I think was in a old Aircraft Illustrated and also in Camouflage and Markings No 6. Ah happy innocent days of my youth. 

Interesting Mr T. So many variations on a theme. Building an Aurigny islander. Every picture I look shows different detail. Prop yellow prop balck 7 all the stripes on each picture shows a different configuration. Least keeps you options open for what you like best.

Laurie

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Mr T not causing any trouble in the slightest. Its good to hear all points of view.

This was the first ever kit I made, about 2 years prior yours at the tender age of 8 ish (was going to use the word innocent in there somewhere but on reflection probably not quite appropriate 😂😖).

Everything is a bit up in the air if you think about it. We only see images of certain aircraft/vehicles/tanks etc, I don't suppose every aircraft/vehicles/tank was ever photographed. So in my view it's a bit of an open canvas really (there are out there though the die hard rivet counters who would no doubt disagree).

I wanted to do this kit as a memory, but with the knowledge I have gleaned over the years to make it......well a bit better and different.

There are a few other reasons, which makes it a bit of a learning curve. Firstly I've never done a wooden prop, second an aluminium/canvas type finish, rigging etc. and the list goes on.

If on the final reveal it has a black or grey or whatever colour prop other than wood you know I have failed dismilley.

Apologies Mr T, I will leave it there or I may have to change my profile name to Waffler 😂. Actually that's not a bad idea🤣🤣

Take care and safe 

Si 

• Like 1

Speaking of prop painting  - I use Humbrol and sand then a dry brush of dark earth works for me but its the transparent orange top coat that seems to be my undoing. I have some Humbrol 13___ clear orange and its like snot and neither paints nor thins well so I picked up some Tamiya clear orange laquer in the hope it might be better!

TT

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I picked up some Tamiya clear orange laquer in the hope it might be better!

I’ve never tried the Humbrol version but I swear by Tamiya clear orange for wood effects.

resized_c976a398-7ed8-49b2-9327-cd9708d1

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Hope Im in the right place here for this next bit? Will get used to it one day 🤣 

1/72 I have decided is definitely not the scale for me, this is the first kit I made at about the age of 8, at certain stages I think that was better than this one and I haven't even done the top wing fitting yet😱.  I have a way to go yet though.

Decided to do single pics from now on which I feel more comfortable with, hope they are OK? Only trouble is they show up all the really bad bits which actually you dont see on the model in the flesh so to speak (especially silver & chrome).  Apologies for all the 'the looks better in the flesh, but it does'.

5S1KDS.jpg

oRBqkK.jpg

6cftaN.jpg

ATJC2v.jpg

dQYDTL.jpg

6c3EaI.jpg

Apologies but this will be the last post I do on this for a while for a few reasons.

The first one is that anyone who has used Molotow would agree with me is firstly superb but secondly takes forever and a day to dry!! which also makes a great excuse for me. 

The other reason, I recently finished a 1/35 Tamiya Chevi LRDG which I posted on Britmod.  Another member (who I have only known for a short while but has become a very dear friend, Laurie Stewart). He suggested it would look great along side an SAS jeep on a diorama.  I totally agreed and said I will definitely do it in the future, but due to recent financial circumstances and constraints it would be a long time off. 

OFnZkX.jpg

Last week I received a parcel in the post out of the blue, a 1/35 Tamiya SAS Jeep with a note from Laurie. So this is going to be my main build as of tonight.  Thank you my friend, again much appreciated

BrIkvb.jpg

Thanks for looking folks and I will definitely be doing a build progress on this one and will keep in touch with the Fury as and when I get back to it.

All the best & stay safe

Si

• Like 6

Hi Si,

The Fury is looking great, and the metal finish really does look the part. Looking forward to seeing you take it forward!

The Chevy is amazing! I've never tried vehicles, as I feel the variety of textures and materials giving variation in finish is too much for my poor little brain to cope with! But I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama with the Jeep alongside.

Cheers,

Mark

Looks very nice indeed Si. Like all models when they are phoyographed to such a high scale the light picks out lots of detail which you do no see with the human eye.

Look foward to seeing it finished.

I use Vallejo Metal Color which dries very smooth in the hour. They do  about 10 different metal colours.

Laurie

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Shame the Fury has to stop, looking good.  The Chevy does look fab and what a very nice pressie from Laurie too.  Good luck with your build. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. The Fury will be done at some stage. The pics you see are a bit of a second coat dust over on the Molotow, first coat I would say after a week was still not really ready for handling. Eventually sprayed with gloss clear, but this dampens down the chrome affect. 

Yes a very very nice gift from Lauri. Really looking forward to the build 

Si 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Si,

The Fury is looking great, and the metal finish really does look the part. Looking forward to seeing you take it forward!

The Chevy is amazing! I've never tried vehicles, as I feel the variety of textures and materials giving variation in finish is too much for my poor little brain to cope with! But I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama with the Jeep alongside.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark much appreciated. 

Have a go at a vehicle, they are a complete blank canvas. There is so much scope to do whatever you want. Weathering, mud, whatever you want the world is your oyster. Nothing is set in stone, nobody can say 'that wrong' because there are a million and on variations. Perhaps try a small one to start like a Jeep or kublewagen. I'm really sure you won't be disappointed. Above all they are fun to build which is the whole point.

All the best 

Si

If its ok Mark can I PM you?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thanks Mark much appreciated. 

Have a go at a vehicle, they are a complete blank canvas. There is so much scope to do whatever you want. Weathering, mud, whatever you want the world is your oyster. Nothing is set in stone, nobody can say 'that wrong' because there are a million and on variations. Perhaps try a small one to start like a Jeep or kublewagen. I'm really sure you won't be disappointed. Above all they are fun to build which is the whole point.

All the best 

Si

If its ok Mark can I PM you?

Hi Si,

yes, of course - PM away!

Years ago, in a previous life, I did start buying one or two Tamiya 1/35 armour kits, but never actually started one. Sold most, but I think a couple are still hiding in my Mum's loft!

Cheers,

Mark

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Si,

yes, of course - PM away!

Years ago, in a previous life, I did start buying one or two Tamiya 1/35 armour kits, but never actually started one. Sold most, but I think a couple are still hiding in my Mum's loft!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark my apologies but can you PM me please so I can reply.  My lack of knowledge of the site and little or no tech savvy I've been pulling my hair out.

Many thanks 

Si 

35 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Mark my apologies but can you PM me please so I can reply.  My lack of knowledge of the site and little or no tech savvy I've been pulling my hair out.

Many thanks 

Si 

Hi Si,

Will do!

Cheers,

Mark

Matchbox Fury is a kit of my childhood, one of the only three Mathboxes the kid from the Eastern side of the Iron Curtain had (two others were Gladiator and Boeing P.12). Good luck with this project!

• Like 1