Does 5 into 4 Go? - DB4 GT

Well in fact it took two goes: the partial sanding (above) still left some marks, so I took the whole lot down to bare plastic, reapplied a coat of primer and left it overnight. I was hoping to get a nice contrasty shot, but though it's a lovely morning today, it's not very bright. Anyway it does look OK:

• Like 10

I've had this problem with Zero Paints and plastic, but only a few cases (3 or 4?).
I think that, as alluded to earlier, you have to carefully apply the base coat. I find that in all of the cases that I had, it was due to a mixture of impatience and over-enthusiasm, resulting in a heavy handed application of the base coat.

If you allow too much a build-up of the paint, it seems to soften the primer and the attack the plastic.

So, I found that a few thin layers applied with a few minutes (5 - 20,depending on the environmental temperature) gap before the next application seems to work for me.

I found that using the 1K clear-coat has to be done in much the same way before applying the final 'wet-coat'

It does have to be said that this is not unique to ZP. I found that you can get the same problem with Halford's spray cans as well.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Very nice!! 

That's another lovely colour, can I ask which Mr Color it is?

Keith

Edit - or do you mean the clear coat? :doh:

The green is Zero Paints ZP1406 Metallic Green; it's the 1959 colour. I also have the Zero Paints DBR9 colour, which I assumed would be the same, but it is a tad lighter. The clear coat is Mr Color Topcoat. 👍

• Thanks 1

A lot of  conversion work done very quickly! The paint is a nice colour too,should come out really well. I was unaware of this car at Le Mans,it's a good looking one I must say. Have you sorted out the wheels? I've just bought some 1/32 wire wheels from Pendle Slot Racing. Chris.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

A lot of  conversion work done very quickly! The paint is a nice colour too,should come out really well. I was unaware of this car at Le Mans,it's a good looking one I must say. Have you sorted out the wheels? I've just bought some 1/32 wire wheels from Pendle Slot Racing. Chris.

Yes I have - Pendle Slot to the rescue!

Windscreen surrounds as requested. They could be neater but will have to do. There are limits to my patience!

19 (1)

19 (2)

19 (3)

Then the steering wheel was thinned down and tidied up.

19 (4)

And the front end is getting there too. Lots of bits to make and add, so it takes longer than expected.

19 (5)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Lots of small bits to make, so not much visible progress, but it's getting there. So bonnet straps made (PE + Tamiya tape) and windscreen washer nozzles added:

20 (1)

Numberplate surround, numberplate light and boot handle. I also previously drilled-out the bumper mounting holes (no bumper fitted to this car) and added small PE surrounds.

20 (2)

And finally the DB4 tail lights underway.

20 (3)

An end is in sight!

• Like 12

Well it's not finished but I've gone as far as I can go for now. Sadly I've been waiting for decals for nearly a month now, and rather than just leave you all in suspense for however long they take to arrive (and I have a strong suspicion that they may never arrive!), I thought I should at least post a minor update. So it's not RFI, but for info, this is where it is as of about 11am this morning. I'll be happy to put it on the shelf if the decals don't arrive (or I may order some more), so not the end of the world. I'll post an update and an RFI if/when I get the decals on!

a1

• Like 13