Me109 Successor !!!! - Nein!!!!

This is my second build of this year and also of an A & A Models kit! As with the Me109T, this is a short run kit, in this case of the Messerschmitt Me209V-4 (1/48). This aircraft was an adaptation of the Me209V-1 airspeed record breaker, an idea of Messerschmitts' to find an eventual successor to the Me109. This aircraft of course failed in that respect but is well worth a place in any Luftwaffe collection.

The kit is very cleanly moulded and comes with a small fret of photo etch, canopy masks both inside and out plus wheel masks. A small decal sheet for two markings options and a glossy, well presented instruction manual.

I built this kit O.O.B adding a few wires inside the cockpit, which is very well detailed. The instrument panel was an injection moulded with detail in relief, with a decal overlay which with a coat of Micro Set which gave a well detailed panel. I must add here I was a little unsure of the decals being matt finished with no apparent  clear overlay but my fear subsided when I used them, full marks to A&A.

A little filler was needed but it was a nice easy build ( I look forward to A&A's forthcoming Me209V-1).

The machine modelled was, of course black 14, with the wonderful snake decoration (couldn't resist}. A&A call out for the machine to be RLM02 which is probably correct but just to be different I decided to finish it in RLM63 the difference between these colours is actually minimal, at least in AK's Real Colours paint range.

The only photo I have found of this aircraft shows what maybe a mottle effect on the surface finish. Whether this is just the poor quality of the photograph or the true finish, appears not to be known. My answer was to apply some mottling using the base colour to give a similar impression to the photo, I leave you to judge as to its effectiveness.

This aircraft was test flown at Messerschmitt's factory airfield at Augsburg in 1939:-  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

It appears my mottling is too subtle to show up very well on my photos but it is there - honest 🤔

Cheers

Andy

• Like 36

Very nicely done model. I don't think fighter pilots would have appreciated the cockpit being so far to the rear, but that's speculation on my part.

Impressive rendition of an obscure subject. 

I'd say though that the Luftwaffe had a lucky escape when it didn't enter service. They lost a lot of 109s to ground handling incidents. That thing looks like it could be a lot worse. 

An excellent build and finish, actually this was built for speed and would never have entered service , the markings were purely for propaganda purposes !

Wulfman

15 hours ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent build and finish, actually this was built for speed and would never have entered service , the markings were purely for propaganda purposes !

Wulfman

Actually my information taken from 'Schiffer - X planes of the Third Reich' book does say that the Me209V-4 was built as a private venture by Willy Messerschmitt as a possible successor to the Me109 then in service thus the reason it was armed with two MG17 machine guns and an MG/FF 20mm cannon firing through the spinner. The idea of using the 209 as a fighter was dropped when performance and handling proved inferior to the 109 then in service.

I agree the markings were applied for propaganda purposes akin to the Heinkel He100.

Many thanks for all your positive comments concerning my build, just like to add a bit of history to my builds. 

Cheers Andy 

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 09:27, andyh59 said:

Actually my information taken from 'Schiffer - X planes of the Third Reich' book does say that the Me209V-4 was built as a private venture by Willy Messerschmitt as a possible successor to the Me109 then in service thus the reason it was armed with two MG17 machine guns and an MG/FF 20mm cannon firing through the spinner. The idea of using the 209 as a fighter was dropped when performance and handling proved inferior to the 109 then in service.

I agree the markings were applied for propaganda purposes akin to the Heinkel He100.

Many thanks for all your positive comments concerning my build, just like to add a bit of history to my builds. 

Cheers Andy 

I stand corrected !

Wulfman