Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

Thanks for the warning about the tight fit of the wing spars Dave, the Lancaster is the same, and there appears to be a small mould seam inside the slots on the Lanc fuselage so I suspect that if the Beaufort's the same a swift wiping with a small flat file will sort that out.

• Thanks 1

Construction continues - Steps 6 to 12

OK.. I’ve kept the Missus happy by going to the local Home Renovation show, so now it’s back to work on this great kit. Airfix have provided a lot of really good detail within the cockpit and nose section and this will all be on view under the nice clear canopy and nose glazing. It’s a little bit fiddly, however fits together like a dream and the cockpit seat and instrument panel assemblies shown below are not glued in as yet. I’m thinking it’s best to paint these small assemblies separately and attach them later on. 

Scoop.... !!

Now for all you Mediterranean Beaufort fans, I’ve just spotted parts to enable one to build their Beaufort with Tropical filters. I still think we might be a sprue or two short, however there’s certain signs that Airfix have developed this kit with a Malta based Beaufort in mind... Yippie! 

Cheers.. Dave 

51030773117_f42de5ec97_b.jpg

51031433482_fbed340afa_b.jpg

51031333006_27f5b1f251_b.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Construction continues - Steps 13 to 22

Moving right along now and this will be my last post for the day. We continue this Beaufort build with the Control Column (not glued in as yet), bomb aimers swivel seat (which is too large to be placed at right angles) and the convenient crew Elsan bog box / dunny. Airfix also provide the option to mount the lateral fuselage Vickers gun within an open side hatch, or an appropriate sized part to fix this panel closed. I’ve chosen the open position so glued in the gun mount as shown in Step 16. 

Also at this construction step is the requirement to remove the raised ridge which sits on the forward edge of the turret aperture. This appears to be another clue that future versions of Beaufort are in the pipeline as the two rear fuselage turret plugs provided within this kit do not fit whilst this ridge is still in place. Filing it down with a sanding stick in the vertical axis did the job quite nicely and it didn’t take me more than 10 minutes to get this right. It’s probably a step that younger modellers would want to avoid, however it’s no real hassle for geeks like us who frequent this forum! 

Next up is the small side fuselage window installation, bomb aimers port side table, internal tail wheel structure and rear fuselage cabin bulkhead. Without paint, it all fits perfectly and I’d encourage you all to build up as many internal parts as possible prior to applying paint. So far, I’ve enjoyed this kit immensely and with a little care here and there I cannot see how anyone could have trouble successfully getting to this stage. 

Cheers and good night... Dave 

51031250773_1f170a540d_b.jpg

51032081297_f2db2b916d_b.jpg

51031250778_6531d64058_b.jpg

51031250768_14cac2ac0e_b.jpg

• Like 38

It’s looking lovely. You could tell me that first photo was CAD and I’d believe you!

I looked at a lot of Beaufort references when I was building my Frankenfort, and I didn’t see a single photo that shows the two hand holds on the upper starboard fuselage though, so you might want to fill them?

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I looked at a lot of Beaufort references when I was building my Frankenfort, and I didn’t see a single photo that shows the two hand holds on the upper starboard fuselage though, so you might want to fill them?

Interestingly, I have seen hundreds of Beaufort photos and also not seen those two ‘slots’.

I have seen them in the artwork for the upcoming 1/48 ICM Beaufort.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-48310-bristol-beaufort-mki--1330560#

Makes you wonder, it’s not Airfix’s ‘deliberate mistake’ similar to mapmakers inventing roads as a form of copyright infringement proof?

Pondering of Bristol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Muddyf said:

Interestingly, I have seen hundreds of Beaufort photos and also not seen those two ‘slots’.

I have seen them in the artwork for the upcoming 1/48 ICM Beaufort.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-48310-bristol-beaufort-mki--1330560#

Makes you wonder, it’s not Airfix’s ‘deliberate mistake’ similar to mapmakers inventing roads as a form of copyright infringement proof?

Pondering of Bristol

Is it possible that someone has mistaken the folding DF antenna on the spine, for a handrail? The position of those divots looks to about where the antenna is on the central spine, but down on the side.

Chris

• Like 1

Are those two `slots' not these,... as seen on this Mk.II? However,.... the photo is of course reversed!!

42-sqn-Mk-II-1942-strike-upon-Prinz-Euge

And this is the correct view,..... did a researcher do the same?

coastal-command-beaufort-preparation-595

Cannot see them in this correct view; 

Beaufort-Mk-I-DI-N1113-RAF-No3-Operation

You are doing a superb job Dave! Are any of thee pics of use for reference during your build?;

img616.jpg

mid.jpg12373166-1720593321505013-18153341544024

This one shows one of the Vickers guns in the turret mounted on its side;

Mk-I-NOTE-Vickers-guns-one-mounted-on-it

And for info,..... some Beauforts like this 47 Sqn aircraft had the later turret cupola removed, leaving the gunner open to the air protected by a streamlined fairing,..... with other items like the Vokes filters given streamlined fairings too and the ASV antennae framework under the wings was removed with the Yagi antennae fixed to the leading edge of the wing;

Beaufort-Mk-I-47-Squadron-RAF-note-mods-

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the latest posts, likes and tips regarding this kits starboard side hand hold slots. I probably would not have noticed this issue so will study photographs and fill them in as required. I also fully appreciate the photographic reference material @tonyot and its the inclusion of great images like these that make your WIP threads so enjoyable to follow. Make sure you keep some photos spare for your builds now! 

Now that I’ve fully engrossed myself in Beauforts, I have a few questions that hopefully someone could answer or perhaps clarify. 

1. I’m starting to fancy an early war period DE/DG/Alum Beaufort, Airfix suggest that the bomb / torpedo bay and wheel wells are all painted Grey Green (Humbrol 78). Does this sound correct as something tells me Aluminium was very common for these internal areas early on? 

2. Airfix provide parts to enable the modeller to model their Beaufort with either the straight inner wing trailing edge flap or one of semi circular design (the part behind the engine nacelles). Is it safe to ‘assume’ that the circular fairing was an early war fit, whist the straight edge was a latter development? 

Now, I’m more than likely to change my chosen scheme at a moments notice, however will probably need to select this wing / flap part sooner rather than later. 

Cheers and I hope this thread is of benefit to all future Beaufort modellers... Dave 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

Dave, thanks for posting the instructions with the build updates. I'll be really ready when/if I ever get one.

Chris

Glad they are of some benefit Chris. I take it most modellers haven’t seen these before so I’ll keep them coming as the build continues. I’ll also try to stick with Airfix’s suggestions as (like IKEA) you can easily trip up if you build certain parts out of sequence. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll also try to stick with Airfix’s suggestions as (like IKEA) you can easily trip up if you build certain parts out of sequence. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Been there, effed it up, too!

Chris

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for the latest posts, likes and tips regarding this kits starboard side hand hold slots. I probably would not have noticed this issue so will study photographs and fill them in as required. I also fully appreciate the photographic reference material @tonyot and its the inclusion of great images like these that make your WIP threads so enjoyable to follow. Make sure you keep some photos spare for your builds now! 

Now that I’ve fully engrossed myself in Beauforts, I have a few questions that hopefully someone could answer or perhaps clarify. 

1. I’m starting to fancy an early war period DE/DG/Alum Beaufort, Airfix suggest that the bomb / torpedo bay and wheel wells are all painted Grey Green (Humbrol 78). Does this sound correct as something tells me Aluminium was very common for these internal areas early on? 

2. Airfix provide parts to enable the modeller to model their Beaufort with either the straight inner wing trailing edge flap or one of semi circular design (the part behind the engine nacelles). Is it safe to ‘assume’ that the circular fairing was an early war fit, whist the straight edge was a latter development? 

Now, I’m more than likely to change my chosen scheme at a moments notice, however will probably need to select this wing / flap part sooner rather than later. 

Cheers and I hope this thread is of benefit to all future Beaufort modellers... Dave 

Hi Dave, the semi circular addition to the trailing edge was a later addition, to cure air turbulence over the wing, from mid-1941, so check your references depending on the Aircraft and date you are modelling.

Looks good so far.

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Hi Dave, the semi circular addition to the trailing edge was a later addition, to cure air turbulence over the wing, from mid-1941, so check your references depending on the Aircraft and date you are modelling.

Looks good so far.

Davey.

Thanks Davey, since I’ve posted my query thats now nicely tying up with my thoughts. I ‘think’ I’ve settled on a silver undersided early 1940 machine so I’ll use the straight trailing edge parts for this particular model. Still trying to work out the wheel well and bomb bay internal colour. Airfix says Grey Green but somehow I’m think silver / aluminium. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hiya Dave,..... I would probably stick with Grey Green for the wheel well interior but the bomb bay,.... could be either I would say,..... but it is simply guess work;

Are these of any use?

22 Sqn;

Beaufort.jpg

59 Sqn Beaufort;

beaufort-Torpedo002-zpsd280b628.jpg

The inside of the nacelle appears to be green grey?

Bristol-Taurus-VI-engine-1.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic stuff Tony, images like these are always appreciative. I think I’ll go with Green wheel wells (probably what a typical Blenheim would have been) and see what happens with the bomb bay once I get there. 

Now I think I’ve also found something interesting with Airfix’s Bomb Bay doors and I’ve noticed something similar on another Aussie Beaufort image too. The mid-section Bomb doors are essentially split in four sections, however the inner doors are hinged to the outer doors and fold into one another when opened. You can just make this out on the torpedo loading image above. If I’m right, Airfix suggest that in the opened position only the two outer doors are required, however I’m guessing that the inner doors should be cemented to the inside face of the outer doors! I’m sure I’ve lost everyone with this poor explanation, so apologies for that. I’ll try to explain this better with images later on. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

The colour photo earlier in the thread.....My word! Look at that prop edge! Looks like an 'Erk got his head taken off by that blade! 

Being a civil ‘erk’ myself... lets hope not... perhaps a wayward flying goose strayed from home one last time! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

however I’m guessing that the inner doors should be cemented to the inside face of the outer doors!

Makes sense to me. When I was researching this I wasn’t able to tell whether the intermediate door folds lined up with the edges of the torpedo opening, but I ended up representing it like that because (i) it’s plausible and (ii) it’s underneath!

I had even taken a picture of this very feature on the Beaufort at Hendon, but the pic was inconclusive (and that one is “reconstructed from several” so the usual resto caveats apply)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I think I’ve also found something interesting with Airfix’s Bomb Bay doors and I’ve noticed something similar on another Aussie Beaufort image too. The mid-section Bomb doors are essentially split in four sections, however the inner doors are hinged to the outer doors and fold into one another when opened. You can just make this out on the torpedo loading image above. If I’m right, Airfix suggest that in the opened position only the two outer doors are required, however I’m guessing that the inner doors should be cemented to the inside face of the outer doors! I’m sure I’ve lost everyone with this poor explanation, so apologies for that. I’ll try to explain this better with images later on. 

Since I first saw the CAD images from Airfix, that's what I was thinking, too. As I haven't seen the instructions on that section yet, I was waiting until I got a kit. Deep scribe or razor saw.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Deep scribe or razor saw.

I don’t think I’ll resort to either Chris. The closed bomb bay doors are an all inclusive one piece assembly and it would require many cuts to get to the inner doors. I’m sure a suitable piece of plastic card, cemented along the inside face of the kits outer bomb bay doors will adequately do the trick. I’ll tackle that one soon enough. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1