Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

My biggest problem is that due to work etc I don't seem to be able to manage my modelling time very efficiently; I always end up doing some painting that takes two minutes and then means I can't touch the model again for 24 hours or somesuch.  I've had my Tempest on the bench for weeks now and it's still covered in masking tape, for example.

That said, the Beaufort is being built as an entry into the ANZAC GB, which is fast approaching it's conclusion, so one way or another it'll be done soon!

That is why I built 3-4 models at the same time,.... while I cannot touch one,... I get on with another and utilise my time like that.... a bit like a production line. 

• Like 6

@tonyot and @Rabbit Leader,

Tony and Dave- both of you are turning put some beautiful Beauforts! I am saving your WIP's and RIF's as inspiration and education when I get around to mine- when it finally gets here! Got a  pair of the HPM Beaufort cowlings and R-1830's today, and they are very nice, but I wish I had known about their upcoming full VIII conversion, as it's going to have proper CE props, fin, and nacelles- I should have waited....but I might be able to work the cowling/engine set  into a proper Academy PBY  if Admiral Puff doesn't get his conversion out. You gents are setting the bar pretty darned high for the rest of us.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

That is why I built 3-4 models at the same time,.... while I cannot touch one,... I get on with another and utilise my time like that.... a bit like a production line. 

I have always 7 at "dryland" 7 at "paintland" and 7 at "buildland"

Alain

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@tonyot and @Rabbit Leader,

Tony and Dave- both of you are turning put some beautiful Beauforts! I am saving your WIP's and RIF's as inspiration and education when I get around to mine- when it finally gets here! Got a  pair of the HPM Beaufort cowlings and R-1830's today, and they are very nice, but I wish I had known about their upcoming full VIII conversion, as it's going to have proper CE props, fin, and nacelles- I should have waited....but I might be able to work the cowling/engine set  into a proper Academy PBY  if Admiral Puff doesn't get his conversion out. You gents are setting the bar pretty darned high for the rest of us.

Mike

Thanks Mike,......you could always build a Mk.II from the converion set,...... even a Malta based one,..... and then order the updated Aussie set! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Mike,......you could always build a Mk.II from the converion set,...... even a Malta based one,..... and then order the updated Aussie set! 

About Malta, what was the payload of there Beaufort, only torpedo and or something else ?

Alain

• Thanks 1

@tonyot, @Rabbit Leader, @dogsbody, @LDSModeller,

Fellow styrene surgeons- just in case you weren't aware, HPM has just released their Beaufort conversion set for the Mk V/VI. Mine is winging or sailing its way from Oz even as we speak! Get 'em while they're hot! (Start gathering your photos and decals, Tony!) :giggle:

Mike

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-plus-dap-beaufort-mk-v-vi-conversion-set-accessories-1-72/

• Like 4

That set looks fantastic. And it has decals for A9-13, one of the two examples I want to build!

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mine is winging or sailing its way from Oz even as we speak!

My inner pedant can't help but point out that HPM is based in Singapore. 😇

Edited by k5054nz
  • Haha 1

Yes Mike @72modeler, I did see this the other day on one of our local Aussie Modelling FB sites. It looks great and I would suspect a later Mk.VII / VIII option is probably on the cards. Me, happy to opt for a 100 Squadron RAF version next although the underside colour has always stumped me... Sky, Sky Grey?? 
Cheers.. Dave 

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

HPM has just released their Beaufort conversion set

Hooray!

I've just ordered mine.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Undersurface paint and masking 

Just a quick paint update. The RAF’s initial Beauforts wore the Coastal Command scheme of Dark Green, Dark Earth and Aluminium. I’ve sprayed the underside with a few thin coats of Decanted Tamiya AS-12 Airframe Silver. This goes on nice and smooth, although is probably a little too shiny. It should tone down slightly once a coat of semi gloss clear is laid down. 

I then bit the bullet and masked off the lower demarcation lines. This was harder than I thought as there are a number of circular scallops that need to be carefully cut and applied. Here’s the results so far, If time is on my side I’ll spray the Dark Earth later today. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51128604939_63a9d07546_b.jpg

51128549121_e9131c1f6f_b.jpg

51137426694_cd6543a81d_b.jpg

51137426684_b8567ac172_b.jpg

• Like 25

Hi Dave,

This is coming along beautifully! The undersurfaces look great - I think you mentioned that decanted Tamiya AS-12 is your "go to" for aluminium: do you thin it after decanting, or spray it "neat"?

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments Mark @2996 Victor. Actually the decanted AS-12 spray paint is very thick once it’s out of the can so I thin it with Gunze’s Mr. Color Levelling thinner. This is another one of my ‘Go To’ products and I’m always looking for that fail safe approach that works well for me every time. To be honest, you can probably get away with just using the spray can neat, it’s that good a product.

Now I’ve also just sprayed a layer of AK Real Colour Dark Earth and am quite happy with it. In another thread (Gunze H72, has it changed?) I compared this new AK Dark Earth with the old formula Gunze H72 and (to my eye) can hardly spot the difference. I’ll post more model pictures later on but here is my DE spoon comparison (old Gunze H72 left, AK RC287 right). 

Cheers.. Dave 

51133717922_364845861b_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Dave, that's great to know - I'm looking for a good aluminium paint for forthcoming projects! I've got some Mr Leveling Thinner, just lacking a (working!) airbrush at the moment!

The Dark Earth looks a good colour. Since I've returned to the fold, I've been largely using Vallejo Model Air, but their Dark Earth and Dark Green look quite a bit off. I've got some Hataka equivalents to try, but the AK colour looks good as well.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Dave, this been quite a “how to” as I get started on my Beaufort. I will probably get the fuselage and cockpit interior painted today. I’ve been using Tamiya XF-71 for interior green for several years but may try Gunze’s Mr Color version this time 

• Like 2

Thanks @Chuck1945. I’m happy to use Tamiya’s Cockpit Green too, although I’m now finding that using a lacquer based paint will save me having to apply a clear coat if I decide to apply an enamel wash. There’s many ways to skin a cat and this is my current method until I find another one. I’m sure yours will turn out well, so post some pickkies up when you get a chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Sorry Dave, somehow I missed your update - that silver is just beautiful!  The build is really coming on well now and I can't wait to see it with the camouflage scheme on over that aluminium.  You're doing a fantastic job on this kit and I'll be using it as thinking fodder for my next Beaufort build.

• Like 2

Looking good Dave,...... I do like this original Beaufort scheme and I`m looking forward to seeing your model wearing it,..... excellent work.

I`ve got another on the go as an early one,.... might do it with silver undersides,.... but will probably opt for Sky undersides and the yellow ringed roundels with fin stripes on this one,....22 Sqn  of course! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Quick question, Tony, if you don't mind - how did you get the U/C doors on?

Jack, don’t they just slip neatly into the small gap between the undercarriage structure and the wheel well cut out? I did a trial fit on mine earlier in the piece and found that three fitted quite easily, although one needed some careful massaging. They should fit quite snugly with no glue required to keep them in place. Hope this helps. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Jack, don’t they just slip neatly into the small gap between the undercarriage structure and the wheel well cut out? I did a trial fit on mine earlier in the piece and found that three fitted quite easily, although one needed some careful massaging. They should fit quite snugly with no glue required to keep them in place. Hope this helps. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hmmm, not on mine they don't.  Maybe I've got something wrong somewhere.  I'll have to do some investigation.

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

Quick question, Tony, if you don't mind - how did you get the U/C doors on?

No worries mate,.... they slotted down into place, leave enough room between the bottom V shaped u/c section and the side wall,..... just take your time, or prise a gap .

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tonyot said:

No worries mate,.... they slotted down into place, leave enough room between the bottom V shaped u/c section and the side wall,..... just take your time, or prise a gap .

Followed your advice and got away with it, I think!

• Like 2