Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

Engine Construction and ‘Warning’ - Steps 46 to 58

51061972732_b460244254_b.jpg

Best to get this off my chest first.. I had to have two goes at these engines assembles as yours truly had a real ‘D-H’ moment (and I don’t mean De Havilland)!! 

During my first attempt I cut all the engine parts off the sprue, painted these up and left them to dry. I used up all the parts including these inner propeller spindles C15, which I’ve never used before on any other Airfix kit. Most parts look pretty identical, however there are slight differences and not knowing what part number was what, I happily glued these together... that was a big mistake! 

Rabbit Leader tip - follow the instructions very carefully and look out for ALL locating tabs! 

.... Because if you don’t the end result will be an engine power egg bursting at the seams and not lining up with the keyed nacelle locator holes. The photo below shows my first engine attempts on the right. The three ‘prongs’ that connect the internal collector ring (Parts C5 & C6) should fit within three small slots cut into the top row of engine cylinders (Parts C1 & C2). As I had already painted these a Metallic Smoke colour I must have missed these in the dark shadows and the ‘prongs’ were cemented in the wrong position.

51061868931_74d1fedc42_b.jpg

I’m afraid it doesn’t end there! The rear row of engine cylinders (Parts C3 & C4) have a small locating tab that (in hindsight) is the key tool to getting all this lined up. Whilst cutting away these engine parts on my second attempt, I noticed that the sprue attach point is attached to this small tab. Thinking back, I must have assumed this tab was part of the sprue runner, so sanded this off during clean-up. Best to look at all parts very carefully and ensure all small tabs are left in place. 

When you all eventually get your Beaufort kits, I recommend you follow these “10 survival steps for success”. 

1. Paint all the engine parts on the sprue so that you can still easily identify all part numbers 

2. Cut off just the parts required to assemble ‘ONE’ engine and leave the other parts still attached.  

3. Dry fit all the parts for one engine and tape it together.

4. Do not glue anything until you have an assembled power egg that fits  into the corresponding engine nacelle. 

5. Once you are happy that it all fits.... check it again! 

6. Glue these parts together and set to dry. 

7. Cut off the parts for the second engine 

8. Dry fit again and tape it all up - just like engine #1. 

9. Do a fit check on the other engine nacelle. 

10. Glue it all together and take a break. 

One other thing.. those propeller spindle parts look pretty useless to me so I left them off on my second set of engines. I’ll find a suitable width shaft to secure the props in place, just like those old school kits. 

After all that, I’ll need to source some new engines for my second kit, however there’s are few chaps around who are designing P & W powerplant conversions, so that might just be the way I go on that kit. 

Fingers crossed this is my only ‘Recovery Session’ that I always tend to have on every kit build. 

Cheers, be careful and regards.. Dave 

51061152653_e3998d6bc5_b.jpg

51061868926_06cbdb835b_b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

Ah, finally! Something I had less trouble with on the Frankenbuild. The engines and cowlings I used from the FROG Beaufighter (middle) were all a single piece. No seams or fit issues there:

6-F7-B93-A1-1-BE4-4-D38-8-F95-4-FFF0-C6-

I don't think Airfix have quite got their radial engine fit engineering sorted yet. I've had trouble with every one I've built, except for the Beaufighter engines (fitted to the FROG kit), where I sanded off everything that looked like a locating lug. In particular, As a modeller who likes to see propellers go round, I really detest their "stick the propeller firmly onto the tiny pin that projects from the front of the crankcase" approach too.

Once again, thanks for an open, honest and extremely helpful build. You will have prevented a lot of sticky moments around the planet!

Regards,

Adrian

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like these Airfix prop shafts @AdrianMF, IMO there is no way what’s provided will do the job intended. Anyway, I shouldn’t criticise too much, we do ‘finally’ have a new Beaufort to savour don’t we? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Dave, I noted most of the issues highlighted in your previous post.  I say most because I also cut the tab off the locating rings, but hey, not the end of the world.  I saw that it would be relatively easy to get the rear bank of cylinders back to front, thus confusing things further.  Still, I think I'm about ready for the assembly of the engines.  I'm also going to scrap the spindles, as they seem to be the worst component on the kit by some margin.  I think I have some steel rod somewhere which will do a much better job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beard said:

That's good advice on the engines/ nacelles Dave. I did almost exactly the same as you oon mine. Apologies for not warning you.

That’s fine Beard.. I really should have been more careful myself. I can also confirm your suspicions about the incorrectly numbered torpedo bomb doors on the instruction sheet. 

Now I think I’ve also found a way to insert the rear turret ‘after’ you cement and blend in the turret / fuselage fairing. It’s a bit fiddly, however I can’t see myself doing it the way Airfix suggest. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Engine Construction and ‘Warning’ - Steps 46 to 58

51061972732_b460244254_b.jpg

Best to get this off my chest first.. I had to have two goes at these engines assembles as yours truly had a real ‘D-H’ moment (and I don’t mean De Havilland)!! 

During my first attempt I cut all the engine parts off the sprue, painted these up and left them to dry. I used up all the parts including these inner propeller spindles C15, which I’ve never used before on any other Airfix kit. Most parts look pretty identical, however there are slight differences and not knowing what part number was what, I happily glued these together... that was a big mistake! 

Rabbit Leader tip - follow the instructions very carefully and look out for ALL locating tabs! 

.... Because if you don’t the end result will be an engine power egg bursting at the seams and not lining up with the keyed nacelle locator holes. The photo below shows my first engine attempts on the right. The three ‘prongs’ that connect the internal collector ring (Parts C5 & C6) should fit within three small slots cut into the top row of engine cylinders (Parts C1 & C2). As I had already painted these a Metallic Smoke colour I must have missed these in the dark shadows and the ‘prongs’ were cemented in the wrong position.

51061868931_74d1fedc42_b.jpg

I’m afraid it doesn’t end there! The rear row of engine cylinders (Parts C3 & C4) have a small locating tab that (in hindsight) is the key tool to getting all this lined up. Whilst cutting away these engine parts on my second attempt, I noticed that the sprue attach point is attached to this small tab. Thinking back, I must have assumed this tab was part of the sprue runner, so sanded this off during clean-up. Best to look at all parts verify carefully and ensure all small tabs are left in place. 

When you all eventually get your Beaufort kits, I recommend you follow these “10 survival steps for success”. 

1. Paint all the engine parts on the sprue so that you can still easily identify all part numbers 

2. Cut off just the parts required to assemble ‘ONE’ engine and leave the other parts still attached.  

3. Dry fit all the parts for one engine and tape it together.

4. Do not glue anything until you have an assembled power egg that fits  into the corresponding engine nacelle. 

5. Once you are happy that it all fits.... check it again! 

6. Glue these parts together and set to dry. 

7. Cut off the parts for the second engine 

8. Dry fit again and tape it all up - just like engine #1. 

9. Do a fit check on the other engine nacelle. 

10. Glue it all together and take a break. 

One other thing.. those propeller spindle parts look pretty useless to me so I left them off on my second set of engines. I’ll find a suitable width shaft to secure the props in place, just like those old school kits. 

After all that, I’ll need to source some new engines for my second kit, however there’s are few chaps around who are designing P & W powerplant conversions, so that might just be the way I go on that kit. 

Fingers crossed this is my only ‘Recovery Session’ that I always tend to have on every kit build. 

Cheers, be careful and regards.. Dave 

51061152653_e3998d6bc5_b.jpg

51061868926_06cbdb835b_b.jpg

I did try to warn you about the engine Dave in my last build post!  "building the engines and cowlings for the first one,..... they fit together beautifully but I found it easier to dry fit each engine to the model, then build the cowling around it in order to get everything to line up better,.... as the fit at the rear of the engine is handed and it will only fit in a certain way. "

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Just catching up with this Dave, nice neat assembly going on, lots of interior detail to get lost when closed up!

I've relented and ordered one from Airfix, Hannants didn't get half what they ordered apparently, not even enough for all the pre-orders!

Davey.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Hannants didn't get half what they ordered apparently

A runaway sales success by the sounds of it. I'm very happy for Airfix. Although I imagine they have probably had quite a few supply issues too.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Mine has arrived today and I didn't get into trouble either, that's a win win.

Thanks Dave and Tony for the heads up.

Chris

Edit i am doing the 217 Sqdn option in the Kit as that was one used against the Admiral Hipper heavy cruiser.   That was one of the ships involved in the sinking of HMS Achates in the battle of the Barents Sea, this was the ship my Grandad was on  so I have to do that option. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope you don't mind me chiming in again, Dave.  I've just built up my engines and was thrown by the asymmetrical nature of the construction.  If builders don't / didn't know already it appears that the bracing spars(?) aren't symmetrical port-to-starboard and that the cowlings and exhausts are actually different, leading to the starboard engine's outer bracing being at 9 o'clock and the port's at four o'clock.  The port exhaust is also higher than the starboard one.

I built mine correctly the first time, then dismantled them, re-built them, dismantled them again, panicked, looked on the internet for references, failed to spot any, and then finally checked your head-on pic above.....  Turns out I'd got in right in the first place.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Hope you don't mind me chiming in again, Dave.  I've just built up my engines and was thrown by the asymmetrical nature of the construction.  If builders don't / didn't know already it appears that the bracing spars(?) aren't symmetrical port-to-starboard and that the cowlings and exhausts are actually different, leading to the starboard engine's outer bracing being at 9 o'clock and the port's at four o'clock.  The port exhaust is also higher than the starboard one.

I built mine correctly the first time, then dismantled them, re-built them, dismantled them again, panicked, looked on the internet for references, failed to spot any, and then finally checked your head-on pic above.....  Turns out I'd got in right in the first place.

Does this mean the Shop Steward gets to keep his job then ???

• Haha 4

I`ve got a few bits together from the spares box and some High Planes nacelles plus some OzMods P&W resin engines plus a set of Aeroclub Curtiss Electric props and have been toying with a project;

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

The resin engines are much wider than the Airfix nacelles,..... so a shim could be added in between the nacelles halves and an exhaust scratch built,..... or the High Planes nacelles could be used although a large gap at the top would need to be filled.  I`ll have a think on it,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

I did try to warn you about the engine Dave in my last build post!

Yes, you did Tony and I should honestly give myself an uppercut!

A school boy error on my behalf, one that got carried away by the smell of glue and enthusiasm of building progress..Hopefully,  I’ve learnt my lesson. 

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Engine eff-up duly noted. Will be watching out for that IF I ever get one of these kits.

Yes Chris, these Beauforts will eventually get to Canada an you’ll thank me/us when you build yours right first time around. 

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Just catching up with this Dave, nice neat assembly going on, lots of interior detail to get lost when closed up!

I've relented and ordered one from Airfix, Hannants didn't get half what they ordered apparently, not even enough for all the pre-orders!

I agree, lots of detail hidden, although there is still plenty on show under that nose glazing. The Hannants issue is interesting and hopefully it wont repeat itself when the Vulcan arrives. 

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

A runaway sales success by the sounds of it. I'm very happy for Airfix. Although I imagine they have probably had quite a few supply issues too.

Agree Adrian, Supply Chains have been stretched to the limit so its no wonder things have been delayed. Perhaps Australia ended up with Hannants portion of their Beaufort order, I’m still surprised we got ours this early. 

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Mine has arrived today and I didn't get into trouble either, that's a win win.

Thanks Dave and Tony for the heads up.

Chris

Edit i am doing the 217 Sqdn option in the Kit as that was one used against the Admiral Hipper heavy cruiser.   That was one of the ships involved in the sinking of HMS Achates in the battle of the Barents Sea, this was the ship my Grandad was on  so I have to do that option. 

Always nice to hear of a family connection to motivate a purchase. I’m also glad we can collectively share some initial build ‘wisdom’, lets hope we’ve covered all of the perceived issues by the time we finish. 

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@Rabbit Leader: find out who was the shop steward on shift when the engines went together, and have that person sacked!  Should solve the problem--gotta teach these trade-union Bolshies a thing or two...

Ha.. I’m afraid I cannot pin this error to anyone else, so yours truly will just have to fall on his sword on this one (again)! 

2 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Looks better than the 3 part cowling on the Beaufighter, that was a sod to get a good fit.

Believe it or not I’ve got three Airfix Beaufighter kits, however haven’t built any so far. I’m gonna be especially careful with all my engine / cowl assemblies in the future, which reminds me - I have the Hercules powered Lanc still to build as well! 

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I hear you Jack, those misaligned exhausts really threw me off too and I though I’d made another error until I found a front view diagram to verify this. Another diagram on the instruction sheet would have been helpful, as it’s a real heart in mouth moment once first viewed. 

Whilst looking through the profile drawings in the Warpaint publication, I initially thought Airfix missed the second circular window at the rear fuselage. I even had thoughts about drilling out the plastic and making one from scratch.... then I checked photos and realised that these drawings are lazily just mirror images of the port side drawings and no circular starboard side 2nd window exists!! 

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I`ve got a few bits together from the spares box and some High Planes nacelles plus some OzMods P&W resin engines plus a set of Aeroclub Curtiss Electric props and have been toying with a project;

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

The resin engines are much wider than the Airfix nacelles,..... so a shim could be added in between the nacelles halves and an exhaust scratch built,..... or the High Planes nacelles could be used although a large gap at the top would need to be filled.  I`ll have a think on it,

Cheers

Tony 

Looks like a great project Tony and well illustrates the length difference between the Taurus and Twin Wasp Engine nacelles. Cant wait to see this one progress mate... cool decals sheet too! 

Now I’ve ordered a set of Eduard masks, so will wait until that arrives before the main build progresses. I have a few small bits to take care of so these might feature in the next update.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The exhaust thing nearly caught me out too. Port 3 o’clock and Stbd 8 o’clock. For the bracing rods I switched my brain off and just copied pictures!

The Warpaint plans look OK at first glance but on more detailed inspection they are not reliable. The plans posted in this thread were the best that I’ve seen.

From what I’ve seen on the web, the High Planes kits were very accurate, albeit hard to build and expensive. I did see an Australian one in the flesh in Comet Miniatures in Lavender Hill around 1998-2002, but balked at the 20-odd quid asking price back then (and it wasn’t a Mk I).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Those collector ring struts are correct. The Beaufighter's are the same, with unequal spacing. I wish Airfix was paying more attention to this when they did the Lanc II. It has 4 equally spaced struts, when it should be just three.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Just stumbled across this thread and it could be most helpful - I pre-ordered mine almost a year ago and it is due to arrive on Wednesday. The hints and tips are duly noted, particularly those concerning the engine assemblies. Over the years I have built 2 Frog kits, the first not long after it came out, complete with those weird tapered cowlings, and somewhat more recently a replacement which ended up with some Airfix Beaufighter cowlings from my spares box. Far from perfect but at least it did look vaguely right. Now at last I should hopefully manage to build one that bears a pretty close resemblence to the real thing - it has been a long wait! Now I suppose I should really wait until June and enter it in the Bristol GB along no doubt with quite  a few other Beauforts!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

I appreciate the comments @PeterB and you’ll love this new Beaufort kit, everything is included within the box to make a great replica of this long neglected aircraft. Personally, I’m having a bit of a break from GB’s and this WIP has enabled me to still play on here, without the looming end date poking me at the back of my head. Funnily enough though the Bristol GB is certainly one I’d love to participate in and I might even crack open Valom’s Brigand just to test the modelling skills that bit further! 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Like 3

Waiting for Canopy masks / painting up the fiddly bits

With all that lovely glazing, I chickened out and ordered a set of Eduard Canopy masks. This will probably take a week to get to me, so I decided to start painting up some of the smaller ‘fiddly’ bits whilst these masks arrive. Now for my final choice of scheme, I’ve decided to settle on the 9th production machine L4449. This aircraft initially served with with No.22 Squadron in early 1940 as OA:H before moving on to 217, 86, the Torpedo Training Unit, 5 OTU, 2 TTU, 2 OTU and being finally struck off charge on 19 June 1945... not a bad service record! 

Photos online and within this thread show that the Beauforts two internal bomb bay doors were hinged to the outer two bomb doors, so in the open position the outer faces of both doors are visible. To replicate this, I cut and glued a suitable piece (25mm x 5mm) of thick-ish plastic card to the inside face of the outer bomb bay doors. It would appear that these inner doors were also removed during service and Airfix suggest you do this if fitting the torpedo in place. The undercarriage assembly is very intricate and is best painted up prior to gluing this all together. I have not weathered mine as yet, so they look way to new for an ‘in service machine’. I’ll add a little wash here and there later on, but not too much. 

Here’s a very early photo of L4449 prior to service delivery. It still has the fuselage Type B roundel and no Squadron codes. It is painted up in early war Coastal Command colours of Dark Green, Dark Earth and Aluminium. By January 1940, the fuselage roundel was changed to a Type A and 22 Squadron’s OA coding was placed closely beside the roundel. In my opinion, these silver undersides remained in place until they were repainted in ‘Sky’ around July / August 1940. 

Now my 1/72 Beaufort crew tells me that they have a ‘Special Shiny Delivery’ for some French Coastal resort town called Brest.... can someone please point us in the right direction!! 

Cheers and happy Beaufort building... Dave 

51064205911_6924a8985c_b.jpg

51068206456_58e6148942_b.jpg

51068206466_9121b3d9b0_b.jpg

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

Looking very good Dave.

Mine arrived today but is seems I am not allowed to have it as my other half decided she will pay for it as a birthday pressie. That means Ihave to wait another month but at least I have persuaded her to check all the ruddy parts are there! As I am currently building for 3 GB and there are 7 potential ones I might join in this year (some only 1 build though) I guess I will just have to be patient😧.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5