Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

You assumed those are being built for RAF use because of the markings? The photo caption doesn't say it's for the RAF. RAAF markings for the early part of the war were the same as RAF markings. So were Canada's. It was after the war with Japan started that the RAAF changed their marking colours, as did RAF aircraft in SEAC.

Chris

I was basing it on the T**** serials.

Trevor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I was basing it on the T**** serials.

Trevor

Trevor,.... you know those times when you say something and wish you had just not bothered 😉,..... if it helps,.... I know exactly what you meant mate!  

• Thanks 1

I saw that Jadlam got these on Friday, By the time I looked they had sold out and I clicked on notify me when they got them back in stock. I got an email later that day to say they had them in stock. I ordered one on Saturday morning and it arrived today. It's a great kit and the plastic feels different to recent airfix kits I've purchased. I think it's a change for the better. I need to highlight a serious issue with this kit though. I don't think you can just build one!

You're making great progress here and this is fast becoming the go to Beaufort thread for anyone considering this kit. Look forward to seeing further progress.

Mark

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FZ6 said:

You're making great progress here and this is fast becoming the go to Beaufort thread for anyone considering this kit. Look forward to seeing further progress.

Thats nice of you to say Mark. Along with everyone else’s excellent contributions, I’m happy that this thread is still going strong and gaining plenty of traction. My kits progress has slowed a little as I’ve returned back to work, however I’ll toil away when I get any late night opportunities and post another update very shortly.

Cheers and keep em coming.. Dave 

• Like 3

I've got to the fitting the bomb-bay doors stage and I think there's an error in the instructions (although it may be me being an idiot). It looks like they've got the intrepid modeller attaching the rear doors (Parts D23 & D27) the wrong way round. They certainly fit better if you fix the opposite side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I've got to the fitting the bomb-bay doors stage and I think there's an error in the instructions (although it may be me being an idiot). It looks like they've got the intrepid modeller attaching the rear doors (Parts D23 & D27) the wrong way round. They certainly fit better if you fix the opposite side.

That's well worth knowing - thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2021 at 19:08, bigbadbadge said:

Got one on backorder with Hannants, I am going to get into trouble again !!!

Me, too. On both counts, I fear! Had an email from Hannants today saying they're in stock.

On 17/03/2021 at 19:08, bigbadbadge said:

• Like 1

From the Hannants web site:

"Bristol Beaufort Mk.I
We have received a partial delivery of this kit. Unfortunately we have not been sent enough to satisfy even half of the Backorders we have. We will be despatching Backorders based on the date they were placed on Backorder. We are sorry but there will not be any kits on general sale or for trade customers probably until June."

• Sad 3

Back again - Steps 35 to 45

I managed to do a little bit in between work days so here’s the next small update (Apologies for the grainy photos, they were taken in bad light). 

The undercarriage base structure is quite elaborate and although its made up of many parts, once assembled, its all surprisingly very sturdy. There’s some really nice detail inside the nacelles and boxed in wheel wells and it all pops out with a some paint, enamel wash and Silver dry brushing. Like everything else on this kit, the engine nacelle to lower wing join is very good. I did however notice the smallest of gaps in places, so ran a bead of Mr Surfacer 1000 along the mating surfaces. Once dry, the excess was removed with some Mr. Color Levelling thinner applied with a damp cotton bud. 

I’ve got a few more days off now, so hopefully the next updates will be more frequent. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

51054779346_892bc1f750_b.jpg

51054859697_cb9ebfb116_b.jpg

51054777971_e95af429e8_b.jpg

• Like 32

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Did you mask and airbrush the landing gear bays?

Yes Kenny, I assembled it all first but started painting the parts in between stages 43-44 as shown in the instructions above. I normally wouldn’t try to be this neat, however its all on show here and looks better to photograph. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes Kenny, I assembled it all first but started painting the parts in between stages 43-44 as shown in the instructions above. I normally wouldn’t try to be this neat, however its all on show here and looks better to photograph. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

There's nothing quite like a WIP and macro photography to keep us all honest !  🙂

Looking really very nice so far.  

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let’s talk Engine Carburettor Air intakes 

Yet another clear sign that Airfix have plans to release a Desert / Malta based Beaufort, two types of Carburettor air intakes are provided with this base kit. Firstly you get the stranded type intake, which comes in two parts. Now I would have preferred a one part moulding as the join here is not quite precise, however suspect that Airfix have taken this approach due to moulding limitations (?). To be honest its really no big issue, however it will have to be filled and sanded to achieve a better appearance. 

Next up is a really nice Tropical intake that also builds together in two parts. The first part acts as a base and fills the upper wing locating slot. The second part is the squarish filter box that just sits over the top. This is a great option and I can see someone like @tonyot taking full advantage of these parts. The photos below are just dry fitted with no glue applied. You’ll see the attached results in the next update. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51057191286_819a8df18a_b.jpg

51057191301_c4aba8f5e1_b.jpg

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Let’s talk Engine Carburettor Air intakes 

Yet another clear sign that Airfix have plans to release a Desert / Malta based Beaufort, two types of Carburettor air intakes are provided with this base kit. Firstly you get the stranded type intake, which comes in two parts. Now I would have preferred a one part moulding as the join here is not quite precise, however suspect that Airfix have taken this approach due to moulding limitations (?). To be honest its really no big issue, however it will have to be filled and sanded to achieve a better appearance. 

Next up is a really nice Tropical intake that also builds together in two parts. The first part acts as a base and fills the upper wing locating slot. The second part is the squarish filter box that just sits over the top. This is a great option and I can see someone like @tonyot taking full advantage of these parts. The photos below are just dry fitted with no glue applied. You’ll see the attached results in the next update. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51057191286_819a8df18a_b.jpg

51057191301_c4aba8f5e1_b.jpg

Excellent news, I have  the Xtradecal Beaufort sheet on order so I can do the Malta based L9965 aircraft.

• Like 2

For all the detail that Airfix put into this kit, I think they missed a few points.

1. The oil coolers intakes could/should have been separate parts, as on the Beaufighter.

2. The exhaust collector ring should have been separate parts, to avoid two seam lines. They did single piece rings on their Gladiator, Swordfish, Blenheim and Beaufighter kits.

They didn't with the Lanc B.II, which I think is a bad move.

Well, that's just me, being a grumpy ol' git.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For all the detail that Airfix put into this kit, I think they missed a few points.

1. The oil coolers intakes could/should have been separate parts, as on the Beaufighter.

2. The exhaust collector ring should have been separate parts, to avoid two seam lines. They did single piece rings on their Gladiator, Swordfish, Blenheim and Beaufighter kits.

You raise two valid points Chris and both issues did cross my mind as I was building this kit. The engine and cowling assembly is quite tricky and you can easily get this wrong...... await the next instalment! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You raise two valid points Chris and both issues did cross my mind as I was building this kit. The engine and cowling assembly is quite tricky and you can easily get this wrong...... await the next instalment! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Likkor poured and I'm sitting down.

Chris

• Haha 2