Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

25 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

so hopefully we see even more on the forum soon! 

Yes.. after all these years without a good quality and easily sourced kit, we should never tire of seeing new Beaufort builds on here.

Actually I do know of at least one other, @jackroadkill has one on the go at the moment which is going really well and at a fairly advanced stage. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now that’s just silly talk Tony. I would be honoured to share a build alongside your esteemed self, however you might have to slow up a tad as this Rabbit’s getting on a bit! 

Glad you’ve got yourself a couple of these lovely Beaufort kits and and would love to know what schemes you’ve got in mind for these two? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hiya Dave,

If you are sure,.... then I`d be glad to run along with some updates alongside your fine build mate,..... but please tell me if it gets too much! I`d rather not open another build thread as yours is ticking all of the boxes that people want to hear,..... mine is just a mad dash with a few pics taken as an after thought! I got my teeth into my pair of models today at the expense of the Aussie/NZ GB and really enjoyed myself!

Here is the first one, painted and ready to button up,.... I`ll add seat straps later and I`ve also got the wings and tailplane together too. I`m going for a Mk.Ia, based in Ceylon with a faded TSS and SEAC roundels. Still need to find out whether the `jump seat' next to the pilot had a padded back or was metal skinned because it was obviouly used as a slide way from the rear into the cockpit and it must have taken some wear,.... I`ll be reading up to see if I can find out tomorrow and it can easily be repainted if it is padded.;

DSCF0076-NEW.jpg

DSCF0077-NEW.jpg

DSCF0078-NEW.jpg

Then the fuselage was joined and the wings attached,..... the fit was a dream!

DSCF0081-NEW.jpg

Even Fudge the dog was impressed,..... which many people may know is not easy to do,..... although the laser eye look is a bit creepy looking!

DSCF0084.jpg

Then it was,....... repeat the process;

DSCF0085-NEW.jpg

DSCF0086-NEW.jpg

I`ve since joined the fuselage and added the wings onto the second one,..... as well as building the engines and cowlings for the first one,..... they fit together beautifully but I found it easier to dry fit each engine to the model, then build the cowling around it in order to get everything to line up better,.... as the fit at the rear of the engine is handed and it will only fit in a certain way.

For the second one I may go for a Malta based aircraft,...... or one of the kit options,..... I`ll have a look through some references tomorrow. I do intend on building a Fleet Air Arm hack based at Yeovilton at some stage,..... and maybe one of the white `coastal' schemed aircraft with the blanked over turret,..... now there is an idea for any of the after market firms who fancy doing a Beaufort conversion! 

Sorry if I`ve taken up too much space Dave,..... I`ll try not to make a habit of it,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 19

Excellent work Tony,  between you and Dave ,I am starting to struggle to not buy one, I was holding out for the 48th scale one instead but may have to see now.  

Really interested to see the Malta one too.

Keep up the good work both of you.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

If you are sure,.... then I`d be glad to run along with some updates alongside your fine build mate,

Great Stuff Tony.. more than happy (actually thrilled) to have you on board this thread. It'll be good to see both early UK and Desert based Beaufort's being built and your completion rate will just spur me on to get mine finished. I'll play around with my engine parts to hopefully achieve a good fit. Good luck with your two and see you at the finish line (eventually!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Cheers Fella`s,..... I`ve spent the morning doing a bit of research and have arrived at the camouflage pattern for my first model, from  22 Sqn based in Ceylon (photo lower left), using decals from an old High Planes kit;

DSCF0087-NEW.jpg

I told you that it was faded and bleached,.... but you can just make out the demarcation lines, so I`ve drawn the pattern onto the old High Planes instructions;

DSCF0088-NEW.jpg

I also found these interior pics which may be of use,..... especially for painting the control column and navigators chair;

DSCF0089-NEW.jpg

And here is my Beaufort project as it stands so far,.... two Airfix kits at the front, two Special Hobby kits behind,... a Mk.II which will be a Malta based aircraft and also an Aussie machine,.......  plus an old High Planes Beaufreighter which was built well over 20 yrs ago and like the Beaufighter I`m restoring elsewhere,..... is in line for a strip down, rebuild and a new scheme;

DSCF0090-NEW.jpg

DSCF0091-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 16

14 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I had an email from Airfix this morning proudly proclaiming "The Beaufort is now out!" so hopefully we see even more on the forum soon! 

I checked there yesterday and saw it was available, so I started to order one. Then I saw the total price to ship it to Canada and said to hell with it!

Total price would be £46.66!. That's $80.70 CDN. That's way too much for a twin-engined bomber. I'll wait for Hannants to get some.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

Still need to find out whether the `jump seat' next to the pilot had a padded back or was metal skinned because it was obviouly used as a slide way from the rear into the cockpit and it must have taken some wear,.... I`ll be reading up to see if I can find out tomorrow and it can easily be repainted if it is padded.;

I have this photo from @Carl V that has been posted elsewhere on the forum. It shows the jump seat. 

49358762042_80f1d4e4e2_b.jpg

I'd go for leather.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I have this photo from @Carl V that has been posted elsewhere on the forum. It shows the jump seat. 

I'd go for leather.

Chris

Excellent,.... thanks Chris,..... looks like I was half right,..... it is metal with a leather pad. 

• Like 1

Just went to the IWM website for photos

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Bristol Beaufort &pageSize=30&media-records=all-records&style=image&filters[webCategory][Photographs]=on&page=0

There is a picture on p2 of Australian production for the RAF. Full camo and markings and serials in the T**** range. They appear to have the extended fin too. Never seen the Australian built ones in full RAF spec.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Bristol Beaufort &pageSize=30&media-records=all-records&style=image&filters[webCategory][Photographs]=on&page=0

There is a picture on p2 of Australian production for the RAF. Full camo and markings and serials in the T**** range. They appear to have the extended fin too. Never seen the Australian built ones in full RAF spec.

Trevor

The Aussie production of the T range was to have equipped RAF units in the Far East, and a few did reach Singapore before the Jpanese invaded. Following that, the production was directed towards the RAAF and a new 100 Sqn RAAF was established in honour of 100 Sqn RAF which was decimated in Malaya and Singapore,..... some of the RAF personnel from the unit reached Oz and helped set the unit up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I'd go for leather.

Chris

Here's a thought. Could that seat back pad  fold forward onto the seat cushion? I would provide a metal step and a smoother path up/down the slide to the rear cabin - Its the way I'd design it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor

You assumed those are being built for RAF use because of the markings? The photo caption doesn't say it's for the RAF. RAAF markings for the early part of the war were the same as RAF markings. So were Canada's. It was after the war with Japan started that the RAAF changed their marking colours, as did RAF aircraft in SEAC.

Chris

33 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

You assumed those are being built for RAF use because of the markings? The photo caption doesn't say it's for the RAF. RAAF markings for the early part of the war were the same as RAF markings. So were Canada's. It was after the war with Japan started that the RAAF changed their marking colours, as did RAF aircraft in SEAC.

Chris

It is more to do with the serials Chris,,,,, RAF serials rather that RAAF A numbers! The production was set up to equip RAF units in the Far East and 100 Sqn RAF was to have replaced its Vildebeest`s.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Here's a thought. Could that seat back pad  fold forward onto the seat cushion? I would provide a metal step and a smoother path up/down the slide to the rear cabin - Its the way I'd design it.

I think you re right about that cushion!

9 minutes ago, tonyot said:

It is more to do with the serials Chris,,,,, RAF serials rather that RAAF A numbers! The production was set up to equip RAF units in the Far East and 100 Sqn RAF was to have replaced its Vildebeest`s.

Ah! Yes! My bad.

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Dave,

If you are sure,.... then I`d be glad to run along with some updates alongside your fine build mate,..... but please tell me if it gets too much! I`d rather not open another build thread as yours is ticking all of the boxes that people want to hear,..... mine is just a mad dash with a few pics taken as an after thought! I got my teeth into my pair of models today at the expense of the Aussie/NZ GB and really enjoyed myself!

Here is the first one, painted and ready to button up,.... I`ll add seat straps later and I`ve also got the wings and tailplane together too. I`m going for a Mk.Ia, based in Ceylon with a faded TSS and SEAC roundels. Still need to find out whether the `jump seat' next to the pilot had a padded back or was metal skinned because it was obviouly used as a slide way from the rear into the cockpit and it must have taken some wear,.... I`ll be reading up to see if I can find out tomorrow and it can easily be repainted if it is padded.;

DSCF0076-NEW.jpg

DSCF0077-NEW.jpg

DSCF0078-NEW.jpg

Then the fuselage was joined and the wings attached,..... the fit was a dream!

DSCF0081-NEW.jpg

Even Fudge the dog was impressed,..... which many people may know is not easy to do,..... although the laser eye look is a bit creepy looking!

DSCF0084.jpg

Then it was,....... repeat the process;

DSCF0085-NEW.jpg

DSCF0086-NEW.jpg

I`ve since joined the fuselage and added the wings onto the second one,..... as well as building the engines and cowlings for the first one,..... they fit together beautifully but I found it easier to dry fit each engine to the model, then build the cowling around it in order to get everything to line up better,.... as the fit at the rear of the engine is handed and it will only fit in a certain way.

For the second one I may go for a Malta based aircraft,...... or one of the kit options,..... I`ll have a look through some references tomorrow. I do intend on building a Fleet Air Arm hack based at Yeovilton at some stage,..... and maybe one of the white `coastal' schemed aircraft with the blanked over turret,..... now there is an idea for any of the after market firms who fancy doing a Beaufort conversion! 

Sorry if I`ve taken up too much space Dave,..... I`ll try not to make a habit of it,

Cheers

Tony 

For me it will be a Malta aircraft to. But it will take some weeks to have this kit aviable in Belgium. And with the Brexit, it is difficult to order in GB.

Alain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

For me it will be a Malta aircraft to. But it will take some weeks to have this kit aviable in Belgium. And with the Brexit, it is difficult to order in GB.

Alain

Really,... I`ve ordered stuff from Europe with no problems and dealing with countries outside Europe is just as easy. Good luck getting hold of one,..... it is a nice kit. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Really,... I`ve ordered stuff from Europe with no problems and dealing with countries outside Europe is just as easy. Good luck getting hold of one,..... it is a nice kit. 

For more than 22€ it will cost you twice the price of the kit, 21% tax custom tax, 32€,and more if you order more than 150€

Alain

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

I would provide a metal step and a smoother path up/down the slide to the rear cabin - Its the way I'd design it

I've seen photos of it folded down too, and I modelled it that way.

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

£46.66!. That's $80.70 CDN. That's way too much for a twin-engined bomber.

A man after my own heart. At nearly 50 quid I don't care how many engines it has...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I checked there yesterday and saw it was available, so I started to order one. Then I saw the total price to ship it to Canada and said to hell with it!

Total price would be £46.66!. That's $80.70 CDN. That's way too much for a twin-engined bomber. I'll wait for Hannants to get some.

Chris

Was just about to order one myself, think you saved me mate. Ive got standing orders with Airfix USA and Hannants. So will wait until the price is more doable.