Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

Greetings all from sunny Brisbane, Australia! 

Now for some mysterious reason, Airfix’s long awaited new tool Beaufort kit has found its way to Australia before being released anywhere else in the world. From what I understand, this rare feat has only happened once before when Frog released their Lockheed Ventura kit way back in 1977. So to celebrate our collective joy, I’ve decided to clear the workbench and start the very first Britmodeller Airfix Beaufort WIP. This is also the first time I’ve started a thread in this section, however some of you active Group Build modellers may recognise me from the various GB’s I’ve participated in with (at times) a fairly dismal start to finish completion ratio! 

The images below have been previously posted in the Beaufort ‘Rumourmunger’ thread, however I’ll post them once again to kick off this build. It’s also fairly late on a Friday night, so will wait until the weekend before I make an actual start and take more photos in better light. First impressions are very favourable and the plastic is smooth and smartly detailed. There are two choices of rear fuselage turret, however neither of the fuselage plugs fit unless a large ridge is cut away from the forward edge first (see attached photographs). I’ll describe more about the kit as I progress through the build and fully intend to build it straight OOB and following Airfix’’s clear instructions as best as possible. I’m yet to determine what scheme to choose, but as I always like my models to be slightly different, may deviate a little from the two nice choices supplied. 

Please feel free to ask questions and add your comments (both good and bad). I do not declare to be a Beaufort guru, so will hopefully learn a lot more about the subject as this thread develops. We’ve all been waiting years for a new tooled Beaufort kit and finally its here. This looks to be a cracking kit, so do yourselves a favour and treat yourself to one (or possibly two) when they eventually get to your Local Hobby Shop. 

Cheers and wish me luck.. Dave 

51014942567_5ee740f097_b.jpg

51014946747_cf82423d53_b.jpg

51015096072_027de64479_b.jpg

51015006076_686192658b_b.jpg

51015006066_5b45c7bac6_b.jpg

51015006061_dae2ac769d_b.jpg

• Like 55
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

Looks will moulded, are the panel line less pronounced than on other Airfix kits?

Looking at the images I'd say the panel lines are finer than some recent kits; I certainly won't be slathering wash or anything into those on my kits to emphasise them when they arrive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

you guys must have some juicy leverage on the Airfix management team... When all else fails, try blackmail!

You are a lucky so and so, but enjoy this kit!

I have been dreaming of a Beaufort for a long time and thanks to @JOCKNEY  who very kindly sent me the Encore/Frog kit all the way to the middle of almost nowhere, my wishes have been fulfilled! Not Airfix detailing, but damn nice quality nonetheless!

Looking forward to your build.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 2

You lucky S.O.B!

Sorry to be so rude and vulgar, but hey, I'm old and Canadian. What else would you expect?

Chair pulled up close so I can observe this build, so I can be aware of any pitfalls, should I ever get one of these kits.

Chris

• Haha 9

Mine arrived on Monday. I too had been trying to get a Beaufort for years but had never had the ridiculous amounts wanted for them.

Will most definately be watching closely.

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to seeing a Beaufort being built the easy way!

Thanks Adrian, after your epic performance with that Frog Beaufort / Airfix Beaufighter conversion, you deserve a free kit and the honour of building this kit too. You’ve paved the way and thankfully Airfix have listened. Nice to have you onboard. 

7 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Looks will moulded, are the panel line less pronounced than on other Airfix kits?

I would have to say yes, although I’m not one of those panel line nit-pickers. I’ve  been happy with Airfix’s panel lines for quite a number of years now and the trick is to avoid using very dark / black washes. 

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

Looking at the images I'd say the panel lines are finer than some recent kits; I certainly won't be slathering wash or anything into those on my kits to emphasise them when they arrive.

That’s exactly right Steve... lets’s see how this one turns out. 

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Dave,

you guys must have some juicy leverage on the Airfix management team... When all else fails, try blackmail!

You are a lucky so and so, but enjoy this kit!

I have been dreaming of a Beaufort for a long time and thanks to @JOCKNEY  who very kindly sent me the Encore/Frog kit all the way to the middle of almost nowhere, my wishes have been fulfilled! Not Airfix detailing, but damn nice quality nonetheless!

Looking forward to your build.

Have fun.

JR

Not sure what we Aussies have done to deserve having dessert served first, however we’ll take it anyway. Also nice to see @JOCKNEY is still reducing his stash by sending his kits all over the world, however to be fair he does finish a lot more than me. Nice to hear from you and I hope to do this kit justice. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

This is going to be a treat, Sir.

Why thank you... I haven’t been called Sir.... ever! 

I hope you enjoy the ride, which won’t be too rushed I can assure you. 

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

You lucky S.O.B!

Sorry to be so rude and vulgar, but hey, I'm old and Canadian. What else would you expect?

Chair pulled up close so I can observe this build, so I can be aware of any pitfalls, should I ever get one of these kits.

Chris

Chris.. no need to apologise... Canadians are as loose as most Australian’s so you’re in good company here. Considering your age and frail condition I’m glad you’ve pulled up a pew nice and close. Glad you can be part of this WIP. 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I'll be following for two reasons. Firstly, two arrived at my house at 2pm GMT and, secondly, you've saved me the bother of doing WIP.

Good to hear these kits have arrived in the UK, so there will be many more modellers hacking away with me at the same time. I’ve never started a WIP in this section, so God only knows how it will go. 

Thanks for all of your comments and I’ll make a start after I get the routine family chores out of the way. Missus now tells me she wants to see her parents and visit a Home Renovations show, so that wasn’t on the initial weekend plans! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

51014946747_cf82423d53_b.jpg

I like how they moulded in protection for those corners which could easily be damaged. Panel lines look like they could be better though....

Dave,

Having pulled up a seat in the 1st row and saving another for @tonyot, I am anxiously awaiting the WIP on this puppy! Of course me and my brother from another mother are waiting for a possible R-1830 powered release, but this one will certainly do! (Bet I get mine before he does, as he always seems to get them by the case!) Let the festivities commence!

Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

51014942567_5ee740f097_b.jpg

Going by the state of the box Dave on a scale of 1 to 10 just how excited were you to open the it ? 

Good luck mate, with a worldwide audience, I want you to know you are under absolutely no pressure, after all it's only the new Airfix release that people have waited decades for that is being judged here ! :wicked: 

Cheers Pat

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I like how they moulded in protection for those corners which could easily be damaged. Panel lines look like they could be better though....

I thought this was a novel approach too Adam, although having spent the time and energy developing these sharp wing fillet protectors, mine were still slightly damaged as the other sprues still have the opportunity to rub and touch each other. That’s what happens when everything is thrown into one bag! Still, they were not completely snapped off, so they did 95% of the job. 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

...and where did you say yo lived? :giggle:  I'm still awaiting the one I pre-ordered!

Mike

“I come from the Land Down Under”... Mike. 
you know... where beer can quench ones thirst and Bristol Beauforts arrive here first!! 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Dave,

Having pulled up a seat in the 1st row and saving another for @tonyot, I am anxiously awaiting the WIP on this puppy! Of course me and my brother from another mother are waiting for a possible R-1830 powered release, but this one will certainly do! (Bet I get mine before he does, as he always seems to get them by the case!) Let the festivities commence!

Mike

No need to save a chair for @tonyot, I’m sure his will arrive shortly and will have smashed out three of these before I even get to the paint stage. Glad you are watching on and feel free to add your usual helpful comments. Cheers mate. 

43 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

*grabs chair*

Just putting this out on the table, for the common good of course ;) 

y4mnEWKI0opuNcsWSUGYqMUFx5vcDaLdYjTiJ96V

Might have to pull up a seat next to you!!.. that looks rather soothing and probably something I could have used after the hectic work week I had. The audience is growing, and I am starting to get a little stage fright. Eeek. 

35 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Going by the state of the box Dave on a scale of 1 to 10 just how excited were you to open the it ? 

Good luck mate, with a worldwide audience, I want you to know you are under absolutely no pressure, after all it's only the new Airfix release that people have waited decades for that is being judged here ! :wicked: 

Cheers Pat

Yes, normally I’d be a little disappointed to receive my kits in this condition, however I honestly bought these two kits for less than half retail price from some local chap on eBay... who obviously didn’t quite know their true worth. I’m not complaining and it probably helped me tackling this first up WIP. Might need a little encouragement getting through this one, so feel free to kick me up the rear if I procrastinate a bit.... you are the ‘Bad Cop’ after all! 
Cheers mate. 

27 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Good luck Dave looks superb from here I could be tempted by this one in the future.

Steve, we’ve all bashed around at the old Frog clunker, so reward yourself when the opportunity arises. I’m sure you’ll love it. 

24 minutes ago, Beard said:

About an hour from Airfix HQ.

Couldn’t be further from the truth, although I’d often dream I could be. 

Now I’m gonna make a quick start, it won’t be big, but it’s progress none the less. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Look excellent Dave,..... thanks for the heads up,..... nice to see optional turrets,..... do they include the twin Brownings for the later turret and are the Vickers guns mounted correctly in the early turret with one on its side?

I`m looking forward to getting my hands on one (OK,.... a few!) of these!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Look excellent Dave,..... thanks for the heads up,..... nice to see optional turrets,..... do they include the twin Brownings for the later turret and are the Vickers guns mounted correctly in the early turret with one on its side?

I`m looking forward to getting my hands on one (OK,.... a few!) of these!

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Tony, glad you’re onboard as well and could certainly use some Beaufort expert advice. Now I cannot see any evidence of Brownings, however Airfix seem to have got the twin angled Vickers guns spot on. I hadn’t realised this until you mentioned it.

51030495682_e7b2cde3bc_b.jpg

My guess is that we will see a Mk. 1A as the clear DF loop is included in the clear sprues. I cannot see any guide holes under the nose and wings for any ASV radar however, so that’s a little odd. 
Cheers. Dave. 

• Like 9

Construction begins - Steps 1 to 5 

Quick start made this morning and so far not a lot to report on other than this is your typical New Tool Airfix kit.

As per the instruction images, three small holes were drilled into the main floor structure / bomb bay piece to secure the Torpedo cradle. Next various internal parts are assembled which all have a nice positive fit. I made sure I lined up the two wing spars so that they fitted into the rather small fuselage / wing slots - the tolerance is rather tight, so don’t go splashing too much paint around there. There are a few mould release marks, however these are all located in areas that won’t be seen once assembled. I wouldn’t bother filling them myself, however each to their own. 

That’s the first update done and according to Airfix, I’ve only got 102 more instruction steps to go!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

51030641916_5654a18f9a_b.jpg

51030741882_92dc25c0b5_b.jpg

• Like 23
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hiya Tony, glad you’re onboard as well and could certainly use some Beaufort expert advice. Now I cannot see any evidence of Brownings, however Airfix seem to have got the twin angled Vickers guns spot on. I hadn’t realised this until you mentioned it.

51030495682_e7b2cde3bc_b.jpg

My guess is that we will see a Mk. 1A as the clear DF loop is included in the clear sprues. I cannot see any guide holes under the nose and wings for any ASV radar however, so that’s a little odd. 
Cheers. Dave. 

Thanks Dave,.... I wondered about the angled gun because I warned them about it! It is often missed...... now whether it was my info,... who knows, don`t want to go upsetting people again or get more PM`s!  

• Like 3