Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

How is this one going Dave,..... you said something about putting the decals on? Looking forward to seeing it with the markings in place. 

Sorry Tony, I haven’t taken any photos as yet. Let me get through today’s long workday first and I’ll post an update in the next few days... promise! 
I’m also happy to say that the colours look a lot better with a hint of weathering and decals now on. I’m also inclined to thinking that the AK Dark Earth is now a better match than the original Gunze H72 version. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m also inclined to thinking that the AK Dark Earth is now a better match than the original Gunze H72 version. 

So Dave, is that AK paint as easy to use as Tamiya and G-S? Does it require any special thinner to spray? 

Chris

Yes Chris @dogsbody... I've been using the exact Mr. Color Levelling thinner as I would have used for Tamiya and Gunze paints and it goes on just as well.  I did have two small spots of paint lifting under masking tape, however I'd say that was down to me rather than the paint being brittle. In comparison with my other H72 DE & H73 DG painted models, this AK Dark Earth paint has less of a redness tinge to it. It'll do quite nicely for my purposes and I'll post photos in a day or two. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sorry Tony, I haven’t taken any photos as yet. Let me get through today’s long workday first and I’ll post an update in the next few days... promise! 
I’m also happy to say that the colours look a lot better with a hint of weathering and decals now on. I’m also inclined to thinking that the AK Dark Earth is now a better match than the original Gunze H72 version. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Superb,.... thanks Dave,..... great to hear and no worries,.... no rush. 

Thanks, Dave! 

I'll see if I can order some. I'm not too sure when I'll get south to Edmonton again. We're one of the Covid hotspots in Alberta. I have heard of some folks from up here being sent away from Edmonton. I do know of one hobbystore that has/had some of the AK paints.

Chris

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave. 

I cannot see how the turret goes together. My dry run just didn’t work at all. I’ve been hoping you’ll clear it up. Fortunately, it’s possible to leave it to the very end so, in the meantime, I’m virtually done with everything fitted and painted. I’ve even made a special trip to get the Matt varnish from Windsor and Newton and am in the process of applying it.

So I’m brimming with anticipation and if you can solve the riddle of the turret I should be posting the finished product within a day or so. Huzzah!

3 minutes ago, Properjob56 said:

I cannot see how the turret goes together. My dry run just didn’t work at all. I’ve been hoping you’ll clear it up. Fortunately, it’s possible to leave it to the very end so, in the meantime, I’m virtually done with everything fitted and painted. I’ve even made a special trip to get the Matt varnish from Windsor and Newton and am in the process of applying it.

So I’m brimming with anticipation and if you can solve the riddle of the turret I should be posting the finished product within a day or so. Huzzah!

I cut everything below the mounting ring away and left it out.  You can't see anything from the outside and the gubbins that swings about below the ring just made fitting the turret harder than it needed to be.  I also fitted the glazing after I'd dropped the rest of the turret into place.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

I’ve not fully assembled my turret as yet, however have described my intentions on page 9 of this thread. Jacks theory above would also seem like a good method as you honestly cannot see any of the turrets lower detail once it’s all in place. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decals / Transfers / Stickers.... on! 

As promised, a quick update of this Beaufort build with a spot of weathering and most of the decals on. I’ve also ditched the blue background for this update to better illustrate the AK Real Colours Dark Earth and Tamiya Dark Green. Those of you that suggested it was too early to judge the colours in my previous update were 100% spot on. Although there’s not many decals applied, the whole colour vibe changes quite a bit with a few roundels splashed on. I’m quite happier with it now, so thanks for the vote of confidence there guys, much appreciated. 

Now for those history and accuracy buffs, I’ve also slightly altered my designated choice of serial from L4449 (OA:H) to L4461 (OA:U) as I found a period photograph of ‘49 and the code letters were quite odd looking and out of proportion. I managed to find a photograph of L4461 U-Unicorn and this was (a.) painted in the ‘B’ camouflage pattern scheme and (b.) had code letters that better matched what decals I had available. I honestly do not know where Xtradecal and so many other side profile artists got there references for L4449, however from what I’ve been able to find, the real version is quite different to what is usually depicted for this airframe. 

Anyway, here’s some photos of my slow build, she’s all glossed up and now ‘officially’ assigned to No. 22 Squadron based at North Coates, circa April 1940. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51181506407_952020c317_b.jpg

51182194396_03782ec162_b.jpg

51182978094_9d3f861302_b.jpg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Decals / Transfers / Stickers.... on! 

As promised, a quick update of this Beaufort build with a spot of weathering and most of the decals on. I’ve also ditched the blue background for this update to better illustrate the AK Real Colours Dark Earth and Tamiya Dark Green. Those of you that suggested it was too early to judge the colours in my previous update were 100% spot on. Although there’s not many decals applied, the whole colour vibe changes quite a bit with a few roundels splashed on. I’m quite happier with it now, so thanks for the vote of confidence there guys, much appreciated. 

Wonderful finish there so far Dave.  Sometimes even my wife says I'm right , just sometimes mind! 😁

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Done... Finally declaring this one finished! 

Yes, its taken a while however I’m now declaring this Beaufort build finished. Since I last updated this thread its been a case of settling on a final clear finish which in the end was a combination of Tamiya X-35 Semi Gloss Clear for the underside and a few light coats of Tamiya XF-76  Flat Clear over the top. I was very nervous removing the canopy masks, however was thrilled that the Eduard masks did their job perfectly. I was so happy with the outcome and am very glad I paid the additional price to end up with this result, well done Eduard. 

Then it was a combination of attaching all the various sub assemblies onto the base airframe. Airfix suggest to attach the gear doors after the undercarriage is fully assembled, however I found that my fat fingers preferred to do this the other way around. As with most new tool Airfix kits, the undercarriage assemblies always looks more difficult to attach than they actually are and I found this kit was no exception. Once all the parts are glued together, the gear assembly is surprisingly very strong, another big tick from me for the excellent design of this kit.

There are things I would probably do differently on my next Beaufort build, although I’m happy with the way this one has turned out. Big thanks to all those BM members who followed this thread and provided the welcomed encouragement to keep me going. This new tool Beaufort is a beautiful kit and deserves to sell well for many years to come. Very well done Airfix, thanks for pleasing the many Beaufort enthusiasts with this fantastic new model. 

Cheers, thanks and happy modelling... Dave 

Oh.... here’s a few teaser shots, I’ll do a proper RFI a little later on.
(Edit - RFI here

51205555006_f0691dbfe0_b.jpg

51205554981_c0f68b7523_b.jpg

• Like 40

• Rabbit Leader changed the title to Airfix “New Tool” Bristol Beaufort A04021 (1st WIP) ** FINISHED **

Lovely finish Dave, and a fine combined WIP with @tonyot! Most entertaining both of you - many thanks!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes!!  Well done Dave, what a cracker she's turned out to be!  Such a nice kit - maybe we could have an STGB now that Airfix have got this lovely kit into the grubby hands of the masses?

• Thanks 1