G For George, the Lancaster That Always Brought His Crew Home

That's a great rendition of this older tooling.  The exhaust staining looks spot-on.  Just shows that there is still life in these older kits if one is prepared to put the effort in.  One question though.  I checked out your WIP to find out what the strakes behind the outer engines are all about.  Did you ever find out the purpose of them?  Never seen those before.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

What are the two rows of ridges behind both of the outer engines?  Never seen those before.

The real George had these strakes behind its outboard engines, they can be seen in at least one wartime photo as well as how it is now at the AWM.  It’s very unusual for sure, I’ve not seen them on any other Lancaster.  Check out the WIP thread or the link in my signature for more details.

Edited by mark.au
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mark.au said:

The real George had these strakes behind its outboard engines, they can be seen in at least one wartime photo as well as how it is now at the AWM.  It’s very unusual for sure, I’ve not seen them on any other Lancaster.  Check out the WIP thread or the link in my signature for more details.

Thanks.  Interesting that they are such a rarity.  I wonder if they were added on the production line or at an MU or maybe squadron level.  Maybe they were an experiment. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I`m impressed Mark how you turned this older tooled / version of the venerable Lancaster into something special.  It looks great!!!! :clap2:

Mike

I totally agree!

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments.

5 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

... I think is quite a good kit for its age. 

I agree!  I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the fit and moulding.  In fact, the fit was such that I was able to complete, including weathering, all of the major components separately.  I literally attached the wings, tails and turrets and it was finished.  There’s very few kits where that’s possible, even modern ones.

Edited by mark.au
Clarity

36 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Thank you all for the comments.

I agree!  I was very pleasantly surprised at the qualifying fit and moulding.  The fit was such that I was able to complete, including weathering, all of the major components separately.  I literally attached the wings, tails and turrets and it was finished.  There’s very few kits where that’s possible.

Given my limited modelling skills, the earlier Airfix Lancaster was always easier - more forgiving , if you will - to build.

The current version is, doubtless, better in some respects but it is not an easier build.

I wonder how much 'better' kits have to be before we pass the point when, in a previous form, they were at their 'best',

Michael

• Like 1

That looks stunning, you’d never know it was an old kit. Absolutely gorgeous and that exhaust staining looks incredibly realistic.

I’ve got this old kit in the stash to do as PA474; if it comes out anywhere near this I’d be very happy. Amazing work.

• Thanks 1