What colour is the inside of the cowlingand wing folds for the Nakajima B5N2 Kate?)

Plastimic

Hey folks!

I'm just waiting for my EZ line for my Gladiator. I'm working on the Airfix Nakajima B5N2 Kate in 1/72. The Eduard PE looks awesome so far. I have two questions. What is the interior color of the engine cowling? If it was painted. My aero mechanical side feels is such a tight fit that mabe just the lip was painted to match the outside colour. Not sure though and any suggestions would be welcome. Secondly I couldn't resist the delicate job they did of the wing fold mechanism. The one on the Wildcat is agrarian as he'll and it looks toy like. Where the Kate's is very delicate in comparison. Anyhow, what was the colour of the wing ribs where the wing fold occurred? 

Can't wait to hear your opinions.

• Like 1

Aotake would be one possible option for both the cowling interior and wing ribs as this correct for the Mitsubishi built Zero A6M2b I'm currently making but others with much greater knowledge may be able to be more definitive. 

Regards

Colin.

I'm really hoping so. On the instructions there's a number, but it's not a humbrol paint number. Maybe an FS number? 27001. I am going to wait till I get some definitive answers. Also I am not to sure the inside of the landing gear doors are silver. I am wondering if gunze acrylic acrysion line N127 might no be a safe bet for the wing folds.

The wing fold rips are almost certainly primed with aotake. Early IJN cowling interiors (removable parts) usually had a dark grey or black coat on top of the aotake, except for the cooling flaps which were aotake. There is not much in terms of evidence I could provide, but a cutaway drawing in 'Mechanism of Military Aircraft' confirms it.

1 hour ago, Blimpyboy said:

do you think it may have some application to B5N2s?

We may need to keep in mind that the Zero was factory-painted in J3 grey whereas the B5N had come in NM to be overpainted before Pearl Harbor. Therefore the inside of the cowling may have been different. Pre-war silver airframes show some dark colour there. Not sure for later factory dark green ‘Kates‘ either.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Plastimic said:

On the instructions there's a number, but it's not a humbrol paint number. Maybe an FS number? 27001.

That is a Humbrol paint number - Metalcote Aluminium.  Whether it's the right colour, I don't know, but it's definitely paint.

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

That is a Humbrol paint number - Metalcote Aluminium.  Whether it's the right colour, I don't know, but it's definitely paint.

It would make sense. I am absolutely astonished at the size of the Sakae model 11 engine in comparison to the Kate. The tight fit of the cowling makes sense it would be aluminum color. I'm going to have to do some research I suppose. I am guessing the black for the cowling wrapped around a bit.