1/48 Kittyhawk SU-30SM Flanker H

Hi everyone 

This is my 1/48 SU-30SM by Kitty Hawk. This was a very nice kit to build with great detail. The fit was good, only having large gaps on the air intakes and air brake. 

I had read reviews about the other su-27 and su-30 kits missing axles for the wheels but mine came with them so I'm guessing they have fixed it. 

The instructions did have a few mistakes, the paint guide didn't show the camouflage on the underside and showed the registration number from one of the other aircraft. 

The decals were decent but some of them took a few applications of micro sol to make them conform. Some of the yellow decals were very thin and clear so when applied to the model, they went a lot darker and hard to see, this was the same with some of the red ones. There were also some yellow decals that looked more of an orangey colour, I don't think they are meant to be that colour on the real aircraft but I could be wrong. The weathering made the orangey decals less obvious  and orange which was good. 

For weathering, I decided to try something different to what I normally do. I applied a black oil wash on a gloss varnish, then coated it in matte varnish. I used small dots of white oil paint on the panels which I blended with a wet brush to try to make faded areas. I am happy with how this turned out. It was then coated in a matte varnish again. 

Thank for looking

y4m6vr37Lioea9Iusip9QVztfabUpkTdjpyOHW2R

y4mTrcMVdoReqYXyHthUf7Yhfp21E5FAU0n0aXEk

y4mG732jWaf77_OgKp-9uC51DAoslXAqYk2ogdRby4mMiszQumJXWDSG8Gi2-sEBXF-gDhulDU8xX_hS

y4msimR058COFRaozzMDtsIikIOx07uGJGrIMRrv

y4myXt7C9bbwvgOch_a7sdr9JFj_63uTRJcuwFR5

y4mevwrnBrQPxAuiCAZMhp_ibn87CLa6uYQPNNbd

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

wow!

what  a great model in the most attractive scheme possible!

:thumbsup:

your photography is also very inspiring!

still I would like at least one shot in neutral environment to appreciate the kit itself...

cheers!

• Thanks 1