Newbie struggling with airbrush

Edwardii

Hi,

I am new to using an airbrush, giving it a go after returning to modelling after a long break.  Please don't judge me but I decided on a cheaper model off Amazon, so I could see if it was for me without spending a fortune, this is the one i got:

61uCZEAkVqL._AC_SL1000_

Sometimes it seems to work fine and I have done 4/5 models with it, but recently it has started to play up.  I get paint splatting out when I press the trigger down, without pulling back. And it will paint ok then it will just splat a load of paint out all over the place, I have shown it as best i can on paper here:

20210311_192318

20210311_192321

I am using Vallejo Model Air paints and a .5 needle but these pictures were taken using the .3 as I swapped to see if it was a problem with the needle.  I have cleaned it to death and am getting frustrated to the point I am going to stop using it.

Sorry for the dumb questions but hopefully someone can help.

You say you swapped...what did you swap? Needle, nozzle, nozzle cap? They only work in pairs.

If you're getting paint out without pulling back on the trigger:

- broken nozzle

- needle not seating properly (you might have debris in the tip of the nozzle)

- needle not pushed all the way in or it's moving back on it's own when you tighten the collet

- needle and nozzle are mismatched (you might have the 0.3 needle with the 0.5 nozzle)

Edit: those microscopic nozzles are a pain to clean properly. You might have paint in them even though the cleaner comes out clean (pardon the repetitiveness). 

Edited by bmwh548
  • Like 4

Adding to the excellent comments from @bmwh548.Take a look at the nozzle and needle under magnification. Make sure the nozzle isn't split and the needle appears to be fully seated. Don't push the needle too hard though, or you could split the nozzle. With the compressor off, make sure the needle moves in and out smoothly. Also try with water, so you're not dealing with or wasting paint.

• Like 1

Cleaned it to death ... with what? One of the problems with cheap airbrushes is that the various seals can be destroyed by hot cleaners. One of the two cheap airbrushes that came with my compressor became unusable after a few sessions (though strangely the other one has kept working for years). On disassembling the failed one I found a number of seals had just broken up.

Cheers

Colin

I just recently got back in and got my first airbrush ever. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing in buying a cheapo Amazon deal by Master Airbrush. After a couple of sessions I figured out it (airbrushing that is) was in fact the bomb and I returned that POS I got and replaced it with an Iwata Revolution. My advice to you is to:

1. Ditch the cheap airbrush, it's only going to cause problems and frustrate you. You'll forever be troubleshooting issues (like the the ones you started this thread about) rather than learning technique.
  2. I tried to use Vallejo paints and had consistent problems. Ditched those in favor of Tamiya bottled acrylics. I'm trying MRP now but that's harder to get and it seems expensive for tehe about of pigment you can lay down. Tamiya remains my go to paint. 
  3. Get an actual compressor. That one you got isn't a compressor, it a toy. Seriously, that unit alone could be the source of many of your troubles. The Master Airbrush unit with a tank has served me well and is very quiet. I think any of the no-name types on Amazon will be fine as they all look like they come out of the same factory. Tank or no tank would work I'm sure but I like the tanked variety.

Believe me when I say that you're going to end up spending  more money trying to save money. Airbrushing is THE way to paint models. Know that and get a real tool, not a trinket. For around $200 you can get good equipment and remove quality issues with your tools from hampering skills development. 

Even cheapos can do a really good job. I've used them for years. Their downside is in the poor quality seals and sometimes in the nozzle not being centered properly, but other than that they can get the job done.

Thanks for the really helpful replies. I have given up with that set up as nothing seems to be working.

I have seen the Sparmax kit with an Arism compressor which looks good and isn't massively expensive, is this worth it? Would it be an upgrade?

I find that Vallejo Model Air could be thinned a bit more and use some  flow improver. The other option is try some Tamiya acrylics thinned with their X-20A and if that does not go through the airbrush then it is a definite problem with the airbrush.

Regards

Robert

Keep in mind that your airbrush is only as good as your paint mix will allow it to be. A poor mix using even the best paint will give you very bad results.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I would switch to at least Tamiya if you can't spray anything "smellier" in your space. For me nothing beats the Gunze C and GX series in combo with leveling thinner, but those do require special conditions so you don't jeopardize your health.

• Like 1

If you do try some Tamiya acrylics, get yourself some of their paint retarder. I just started using my Badger last August and the retarder anned to the mix worked great.

46394580264_a7fbe2c3a0_n.jpg

Chris

Ok, so I ordered some new needles and nozzles, put the 0.2 in today and cleaned it with Vallejo Model Air cleaner, and tried to use again and this was the result:

received_195423808619583

This splatter happens when I press the trigger, before I even pull back

Once I pull back this is what it looks like

received_180037620391531

Clearly this is not right and seems to me that the airbrush has had it.  I am not sure what to do now, having read all your great advice, do I bite the bullet and spend 150-200 quid a better system or just buy a new airbrush?

On 3/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, Edwardii said:

Hi,

I am new to using an airbrush, giving it a go after returning to modelling after a long break.  Please don't judge me but I decided on a cheaper model off Amazon, so I could see if it was for me without spending a fortune, this is the one i got:

61uCZEAkVqL._AC_SL1000_

Sometimes it seems to work fine and I have done 4/5 models with it, but recently it has started to play up.  I get paint splatting out when I press the trigger down, without pulling back. And it will paint ok then it will just splat a load of paint out all over the place, I have shown it as best i can on paper here:

20210311_192318

20210311_192321

I am using Vallejo Model Air paints and a .5 needle but these pictures were taken using the .3 as I swapped to see if it was a problem with the needle.  I have cleaned it to death and am getting frustrated to the point I am going to stop using it.

Sorry for the dumb questions but hopefully someone can help.

Especially true of airbrushes, buy cheap buy twice.

First thing, if you have used any of those cleaning tools, then the nozzles are probably ruined, you should not use wire wound brushes and reamers in your airbrush because the body and nozzle are probably brass, a very soft metal, those will have ruined them. The tool in the yellow holder, should go straight in the bin !

The only thing you should use are the interdental brushes from Boots, they are very soft, but will still clean the airbrush.

The spattering is caused by the compressor, what you have is a diaphragm compressor which works much like the fuel pump on old cars, this causes pulsing in the air, which in turn causes the spattering.

What you need is a piston type compressor with a tank, that way you get a constant supply of air at a controllable pressure.

There are basically two types of seals in airbrushes, neoprene and PTFE, cheap airbrushes are normally fitted with neoprene seals, do not use lacquer based paints in these, acrylics only, do not use standard paint thinners when thinning acrylics either, use IPA based thinners, and others will rot the neoprene seals.

If you are going to use Tamiya paints, or any lacquer based paints, you need an airbrush with PTFE seals, prices for these start around £180 RRP.

As a footnote, whenever a customer asks me about airbrushing, the first question I ask is "What's your budget"

RRP on a decent compressor with warranty is about £129, decent airbrush is about £180, that's before I discount. I also show the customer how to strip the airbrush and clean it.

TVM also clean and service airbrushes by putting them through an ultrasonic cleaner for 20mins !

If you want a free service then send the airbrush to me, I'll check it over, inspect the seals, and service it.

But my suspicions are it is the compressor causing the spattering

Paint is somehow getting through. Were you able to look at the tip under magnification? Don's Airbrush Tips has a good section on troubleshooting. Take a look at that; it may help. But, part of the problem is it's difficult to troubleshoot when you're just staring out as you not quite sure what to look for. 

The above comment on quality is spot on. Particularly a device that depends on correct design and precise machining to function. There may well be a defect that's causing the problem and no adjustment will help. 

I'm not familiar with the Vallejo cleaner, but waterbased acrylics once dry are not going to rehydrate. If there's dried up paint in the nozzle no cleaner is going to dissolve it, you need to mechanically remove it. Try getting some cotton out of the cotton buds and make thin strands out of it. Gently push a strand through the nozzle and check to see if it's clean. I use to be shocked of what came out of those tiny nozzles.

And again: are you 100% sure that you have the correct needle/nozzle/nozzle cap combo? Is the nozzle actually sitting correctly? Sometimes the tiny o-ring on the nozzle gets "in the way" and the nozzle doesn't go all the way down and then the nozzle itself limits the airflow or the nozzle is sitting off centered.

Edit: I remembered about the paper "cones" or whatever they're called used for cleaning teeth, you can use those too if you have any.

Edited by bmwh548

3 hours ago, Edwardii said:

Ok, so I ordered some new needles and nozzles, put the 0.2 in today and cleaned it with Vallejo Model Air cleaner, and tried to use again and this was the result:

received_195423808619583

This splatter happens when I press the trigger, before I even pull back

Once I pull back this is what it looks like

received_180037620391531

Clearly this is not right and seems to me that the airbrush has had it.  I am not sure what to do now, having read all your great advice, do I bite the bullet and spend 150-200 quid a better system or just buy a new airbrush?

Do you have the matching needle and nozzel in the airbrush, say .2 needle with a .2 nozzle

The end of the needle isn't creating a seal in the nozzle, paint is leaking past and collecting in the needle cap, when you press for air you get the splatter. If it carries on splattering after that you could have a split in the nozzel, damaged needle tip or both.

Have a look under a magnifier

Thanks for all the comments guys all really helpful but I came to conclusion that the cheap set was causing the problems, and no matter what needle/nozzle I used I was having the same issues.

So I bought a whole new kit from everythingairbrush, arrived today.

20210317_155537

20210317_155545

£120 which I thought was a great price. Hope I have it set up correctly, and hopefully will get some happy airbrushing and not be frustrated anymore.

Thanks.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...