How many kits built before you thought.........

AndyK2479

Firstly, sorry if this in the wrong place but not sure if there is a Beginner Question Sub Forum.

Back to the thread title. So, how many kits in were you before you thought ‘I’m getting the hang of this’.

The reason I ask is as a beginner I bought 3 Airfix starter kits, the Spitfire Mk1, Curtis Tomahawk and the Bf109E. 

So following some online guides and utilising some newly learned techniques, the Spit and the Tomahawk turned out quite well, beginner standard well, but I was happy with them (as was the Grandson who has since claimed them for himself).

But the 109 has become a kit I can’t wait to see the back of, started out well, but I managed to snap some of the smaller pieces whilst cutting them from the sprues.

This was followed by the underside paint looking awful, possibly not properly stirred/thinned by me. Then I pulled one of the tail assembly out whilst painting the upper part of the model. Persevering, it’s all a learning curve after all, I varnished with Humbrol Gloss Clear and it has dried streaky, patchy and not at all looking good. 

So so looking forward to finishing this one. I’ve got another Spit and Vampire to do in 1/72 before I try my hand at a 1/48 Mig 21!!

I’m loving the building of the kits, but this one has left me realising I got a long way to go 😃 

Tales of Encouragement more than welcome!!

Andy

• Like 4

Never bothered. I'm enjoying the process far more than the result, my old models that are inferior to my current standards brought me just as much joy as my latest ones 

• Like 3

I’ve been doing this for around sixty years now and when I find out I’ll get back to you and let you know.

There’s always something new it seems. 3D printing and 3D decals. New paints. New techniques. New materials. Every day a school day :D

• Like 5

Get em cheap in a German supermarket per chance....good effort😆

Now you have the hang of it ditch the gash teenie weenie pots of dubious quality paints and get some proper acrylic or enamels..Personally I use proper enamel paint 🤔but each to there own ....although thinking about it for natural metal I've been using some weird acrylic stuff which works .

Anyway as the tune goes two out of three ain't bad.

2 hours ago, AndyK2479 said:

I managed to snap some of the smaller pieces whilst cutting them from the sprues

What were you using to make the cut? If a knife, that's not so good. For really small bits either use model-snippers (£5-£10 on E-Bay) or for VERY skinny bits, use a small modeller's saw but VERY slowly. The less pressure you put on the bit, the better. I bought the Tamiya model-saw recently - pricey (£20), but useable for incredibly accurate cutting. I don't think I'll be using any of my other saws from now on.  

Sorry if this seems like very obvious information, but nothing is obvious until you know it.  

Good luck with the '109.

Chris. 

PS: Even the most experienced modellers can have kits go wrong. If you learn a good lesson from the bad or ruined kit, then it is not a major loss. My Dad had a good saying for it: "He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing". 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1

All of them, I’m still learning and improving, thanks mostly to this forum. Since getting back into it about three years ago I’ve built about 30 kits and all of them have things I could improve.

I don’t know how people like Massimo and Generaland quite a few others on here can be so good, I’ll never be able to build like that. Just natural for some I guess like being born with sporting or musical talent.

Don’t sweat it mate.

Just like any journey there will be the odd setback. I’m not sure anyone ever completely ‘gets there’ (ie completes the journey to absolute mastery,)  but I reckon after -say - half a dozen kits you will start tackling each one with increasing confidence and will start looking at the instructions and saying ‘I know better than to build it in that sequence’ 👍

What a great question.

I started this wonderful hobby when I was about 5 years old and I'm 66 this year. Do I think I've got the hang of it? I'd never dare to be so presumptuous as to think so 😊😊😊. I suppose I'm just happy and content in my own little world of polystyrene, resin, Mek Pak and superglue.

Life's great on my planet 🌏, trouble is though, I'm the only bugger on it! 

Good luck with your quest though and if you find the answer, let me know 😉

Happy Modelling, 

Chris. 

• Like 1

I started building in 1979 and for several years slapped them together. Sometimes they got painted, sometimes they didn't. In 1986 I met a friend who was a number of years older than me. He kind of mentored me into the actual building and painting stages and that is when I started getting serious. Once that happened it took a few tears to get to a point where I was happy and had a handle on things. He kept mentoring me and the first true compliment I got from him was in 2001. Take what you will from that, but I’d say at least a year for me to truly “get the hang of this”. You might be different as I was a freshman in high school at the time so could only devote evenings and weekends to the hobby. Of course I could just say I am still learning and will always try something new to see if a technique works for me. 

Some great responses, thank you. 

I'm really enjoying the process of building the kits, trying to learn something new on each build, not wanting to rush, getting each bit of the build to a standard I'm happy with. 

Next build will be finished using 'proper' acrylics rather than the little tubs in the starter kit and I've also just paid £7.50 for a Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier, which was listed on the auction site as 'started', which will be used as a paint test bed for my foray into airbrushing. 

Great to hear some highly experienced modellers still think they haven't got there yet, keeps my feet on the ground and reminds me 'its not a job, its how you unwind from the job' 

Edited by AndyK2479
Spelling
  • Like 3

I reckon it was at least 20 to 25 kits since returning, before I was convinced I was achieving consistently better results than "back in the day"!

🤣

• Like 1

Importantly your grandson is an appreciative audience; clearly they understand Rule1- have fun

I shudder to think how many I've made but I've still not got the hang of it, that's for sure. One of my problems is over ambition, but looking at older ones they are definitely getting better. The exception was one I finished just before my nervous breakdown where it's now obvious I'd absolutely piled the paint on and obscured every single detail which with hindsight was a sign that something was going wrong

Main thing is to have fun though 😃. Remember there are professional modellers on here so try not to fall into plastic envy ☺️

• Like 2

I don’t think you ever really ‘get the hang of this’. Every kit whether it be AFV, aeroplane or ship and regardless of the scale has its own unique challenges and each one is a lesson. I just enjoy watching them take shape and ‘coming to life’. One thing I have learnt, is read the instructions carefully ! Pity I don’t listen to me more often.

Jon

Agree with what others have alluded to, it's more a process of steady improvement in your skills as you get more practice rather than a sudden eureka moment.

If your budget stretches to it buying higher quality modelling tools make a huge difference, the 3 best purchase I've made in terms of 'bang per buck' are:

Xuron side cutters - approx £15

Optivisor magnifier - approx £50

Daylight company LED daylight lamp - approx £90

In all 3 cases there are cheaper options available (MUCH cheaper in the case of the lamp) but the extra cost is well worth it IMO

• Like 2

I'm a returner to kit modelling and brand new here (been lurking for a few weeks). Got my two boys started on kits too. 

We have had two of that "basic" BF109 kit in this house and both of them suffered breakages out of the sprue. It's very delicate for a beginner kit and without some nice cutters easy to snap stuff. 

The Spitfire (MK1?) and Curtiss Tomahawk both proved much more robust in build. 

I'd agree with slow progression based on coming back to it and also some models just don't go right. Got to roll with the punches on that..I have a very ugly almost finished Blenheim that's way below the standard of the first post return model I built (Airfix MK1 Spitfire). 

I'm a returner to kit modelling and brand new here (been lurking for a few weeks). Got my two boys started on kits too. 

We have had two of that "basic" BF109 kit in this house and both of them suffered breakages out of the sprue. It's very delicate for a beginner kit and without some nice cutters easy to snap stuff. 

I'd agree with slow progression based on coming back to it and also some models just don't go right. Got to roll with the punches on that..I have a very ugly almost finished Blenheim that's way below the standard of the first post return model I built (Airfix MK1 Spitfire). 

Edit: the one thing that made a massive difference to me was decent "glue". The little tubes of poly cement in those kits are not very nice in use.  

I'm using Revell Contacta the version that comes in little containers with a fine metal needle applicator (also has a brush on version) and some ultra thin Tamiya stuff, which is ace along joints. There's lots of similar stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Solvent Parrot said:

I'm using Revell Contacta the version that comes in little containers with a fine metal needle applicator

I have used Contacta for years it's good stuff. I would suggest you keep a fine wire handy to poke out the needle I find it clogs quickly if you leave the cap off.

4 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

I have used Contacta for years it's good stuff. I would suggest you keep a fine wire handy to poke out the needle I find it clogs quickly if you leave the cap off.

Thanks that sounds much safer than the other approach to unclogging I was told. Let's call that other approach gentle warming of the nozzle.  😏

As I finish a kit, I think "I've finally got the hang of this" and then start the next one and realise how foolish I am.

Same, same with airbrushing. One day, I've cracked it, the next nope, no way.

As another poster said "every day a school day" and I love it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To chuck my 2 cents in: I've only been back at this for just under a year but I've found that it pays to be good to yourself. I'm mostly into armour, largely because I tried a couple of aircraft that I found in the back of my parents shed and they were miserable builds. It took a while for me to realise that they were old kits when I bought them in the late 90s and that I needed an easier 'in' to the hobby. As a result I picked up a kit that was pretty well regarded in terms of engineering and fit (Tamiya A6M2), had a bash and was pretty pleased with the outcome. Now I'm adding some aircraft to the stash to give me a change of pace between tanks and to allow me to practice new techniques.

My other tip would be to work out what works for you as a 'mojo build' - kits that you can guarantee will be fun, easy and cheap (or at least 2 of the three) for those times when you need a bit of a morale boost. I'm a big fan of the cheap Revell star wars kits for that purpose, or pretty much anything by Tamiya or Meng if I want something a little pricier.

I think it helps to remember that it's meant to be a fun hobby, if it's starting to feel like work maybe you need a break. There's nothing wrong with putting a kit on the 'shelf of doom' for a little while until you feel read to take it on.